Parallax

Default Intelligent sails

OK, I feel obligated to post something.

So......How about "Intelligent Sails" that have micro-strain guages
built in on a grid array so the strain can be read out at any point on
the sail and then adjusted accordingly. Sorry, its really lame.
Paul

What you need to invent is a simplified canvas system for cockpit
enclosures. They're cumbersome at best.

Also, a foolproof anchor drag alarm (one that doesn't include tossing bricks
off your bow quarters).

"Parallax" wrote in message
m...
OK, I feel obligated to post something.

So......How about "Intelligent Sails" that have micro-strain guages
built in on a grid array so the strain can be read out at any point on
the sail and then adjusted accordingly. Sorry, its really lame.

Chuck Bollinger

Parallax wrote:

OK, I feel obligated to post something.

So......How about "Intelligent Sails" that have micro-strain guages
built in on a grid array so the strain can be read out at any point on
the sail and then adjusted accordingly. Sorry, its really lame.

I'd settle for intelligent sailors.

chuckle

Parallax

"Paul" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
What you need to invent is a simplified canvas system for cockpit
enclosures. They're cumbersome at best.

Also, a foolproof anchor drag alarm (one that doesn't include tossing bricks
off your bow quarters).

"Parallax" wrote in message
m...
OK, I feel obligated to post something.

So......How about "Intelligent Sails" that have micro-strain guages
built in on a grid array so the strain can be read out at any point on
the sail and then adjusted accordingly. Sorry, its really lame.

Cockpit canvas? Whats wrong with old sails and a roll of duct tape?
Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
OK, I feel obligated to post something.

So......How about "Intelligent Sails" that have micro-strain guages
built in on a grid array so the strain can be read out at any point on
the sail and then adjusted accordingly. Sorry, its really lame.
I am currently working on designing an intelligent sail with wind pressure reading capabilties, in cluding wind strength, direction and high low pressures.

I would love to hear any thoughts from any sailers on this.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other dude View Post
I am currently working on designing an intelligent sail with wind pressure reading capabilties, in cluding wind strength, direction and high low pressures.

I would love to hear any thoughts from any sailers on this.
A friend just gave me some of that high tec line which has 5 times the strength of the same diameter nylon monofilament. How soon will it be before they start making sail cloth with the same fibres woven in as ripstop, every inch or so?
Now that would be a 'Smart" sail. I've also read about it in fishing articles. I don't know how it stands up to UV , but plan to try it out.
Sounds like it could result in a bulletproof sail, out of far lighter material.