BoatBanter.com

-   -   Transmissions (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7895-transmissions.html)

John Salyer October 27th 03 05:40 PM

Transmissions

I'm looking at a boat for sale on the internet and it lists this:
ZF 2:1 Transmission
Is this some big deal? Do they make transmissions with different ratios?
Is a 2:1 ratio good? I've never seen this before.
Thanks, John

Jeff Morris October 27th 03 06:03 PM

Transmissions

In my limited experience, 2:1 is a common reduction ratio. Of course, its important that
the propeller be sized accordingly.

Jim Woodward October 28th 03 02:36 PM

Transmissions

Generally marine propellers like to turn more slowly than marine
engines, so almost all "marine gears" provide both
forward-neutral-reverse and a speed reduction. Exceptions are almost
all very high speed boats.

2:1 is certainly a "normal" reduction ratio, particularly for a
smaller boat.

ZF claims to be the largest manufacturer of marine transmissions in
the world.
see http://zf-marine.com/ for more than you wanted to know about the
subject.

Jim Woodward