BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cross Florida Barge Canal Info wanted (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7866-cross-florida-barge-canal-info-wanted.html)

Grant Ziebell October 21st 03 08:25 PM

Cross Florida Barge Canal Info wanted

I was reviewing charts in planning an upcoming cruise down the Florida
west coast. Noticed an entrance into the Cross Florida Barge canal in
the Crystal River Area.

Does anyone have any info on this canal? How far inland does it go.
Does it really cross Florida? Depth? Any and all info appreciated.

Thanks

Grant Ziebell
Pensacola, FL

Parallax October 22nd 03 03:33 AM

(Grant Ziebell) wrote in message . com...
I was reviewing charts in planning an upcoming cruise down the Florida
west coast. Noticed an entrance into the Cross Florida Barge canal in
the Crystal River Area.

Does anyone have any info on this canal? How far inland does it go.
Does it really cross Florida? Depth? Any and all info appreciated.

Thanks

Grant Ziebell
Pensacola, FL

It does NOT cross Florida as it's construction was cancelled during
the Nixon administration.

Todd Dunn October 26th 03 11:39 PM

Cross Florida Barge Canal Info wanted

It doesn't cross florida and you can usually only get up to the locks at the
Withlacoochee River. There's nothing but sand banks on each side, so its not
much to look at. Like the other respondant said, the canal was cancelled
during the Nixon Administration. Most of the land bought up for the project
is being turned into a cross-Florida GreenWay.

The project was very distructive to the Florida aquifer.

Todd

Florida Keyz October 27th 03 01:02 AM

Cross Florida Barge Canal Info wanted

Strike another point for Nixon,,, the jerk!