Richard Cassano

Default Espar Vs. Webasto Heaters

I am interested in installing a Hydronic, (hot water) heating system aboard
a Tashiba 40 sailboat. Does anyone have any comments, recommendations or
warnings about the two leading brands, Espar and Webasto? Cost is about the
same and specifications are also very close. Webasto requires a 2.5 gallon
expansion tank that uses up some space aboard. As far as I'm concerned,
reliability and performance comments from experienced users are the most
important factors in making my decision. You can send replys to my email
address if you do not wish to post here.Thank you.

Richard Cassano

S/V Gray Eagle, Oyster Bay, NY

DSK

Richard Cassano wrote:

I am interested in installing a Hydronic, (hot water) heating system aboard
a Tashiba 40 sailboat. Does anyone have any comments, recommendations or
warnings about the two leading brands, Espar and Webasto? Cost is about the
same and specifications are also very close. Webasto requires a 2.5 gallon
expansion tank that uses up some space aboard. As far as I'm concerned,
reliability and performance comments from experienced users are the most
important factors in making my decision.

I'm in the process of installing the Webasto T-90 in our tugboat. We got a
slightly better deal on the system & it's major components, and I heard a
number of discouraging things about the Espar firebox control units.

If space is at such a premium that an expansion tank is a problem, you should
probably get an air heater unit, with short ducting; or two small diesel
fireplaces.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Marcus AAkesson

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:16:55 GMT, "Richard Cassano"
wrote:

I am interested in installing a Hydronic, (hot water) heating system aboard
a Tashiba 40 sailboat. Does anyone have any comments, recommendations or
warnings about the two leading brands, Espar and Webasto? Cost is about the
same and specifications are also very close. Webasto requires a 2.5 gallon
expansion tank that uses up some space aboard. As far as I'm concerned,
reliability and performance comments from experienced users are the most
important factors in making my decision. You can send replys to my email
address if you do not wish to post here.Thank you.

I was just going to say that I never heard about the Espar, but
checking the website it seems to be a trade name for Eberspächer.

Eberspächer and Webasto are both German and are the two favored mfgs
for marine heating among the top quality european yards. I would say
that any one of them should give good service. Our Webasto has
performed flawlessly now for 10 years.

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Doug Dotson

Our Espar works great. Used it for an entire winter here in Pasadena.
Kept the boat warm for 3 months on about 90 gal of fuel. Not
bad, never had a failure.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Richard Cassano" wrote in message
t...
I am interested in installing a Hydronic, (hot water) heating system

aboard
a Tashiba 40 sailboat. Does anyone have any comments, recommendations or
warnings about the two leading brands, Espar and Webasto? Cost is about

the
same and specifications are also very close. Webasto requires a 2.5 gallon
expansion tank that uses up some space aboard. As far as I'm concerned,
reliability and performance comments from experienced users are the most
important factors in making my decision. You can send replys to my email
address if you do not wish to post here.Thank you.

Richard Cassano

S/V Gray Eagle, Oyster Bay, NY

Arco

I had an Espar on my old boat in SF bay - loved the hot air and hot
water - but the heater made a lot of noise - a high pitched whine like
a vacuum cleaner - not the kind of thing you like to listen to in a
quiet anchorage.

Any other Espar users have the same experience?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:11:54 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

Our Espar works great. Used it for an entire winter here in Pasadena.
Kept the boat warm for 3 months on about 90 gal of fuel. Not
bad, never had a failure.

Doug Dotson

It does make some noise, but I never noticed a high pitched
whine. Just the sound of the blower running. Ours is mounted
remote from the main living area so you can hardly hear it. The
whine may be "wind noise" due to some resonating in the ductwork.

Doug

wrote:

Our Espar works great. Used it for an entire winter here in Pasadena.
Kept the boat warm for 3 months on about 90 gal of fuel. Not
bad, never had a failure.

Glenn Ashmore

Doug,

Where did you get your Webasto system?

I have no wall space for a Force 10 or a Dickenson and forced air is out
because it will be impossible to route so I can only consider hydronc
systems. The T-90 is a bit big for me. I do my best to avoid crossing
the Mason Dixon Line after October so 17,000 BTUs will probably be all I
need. Right now it is between the Espar D5WH and the Webasto Thermo
Top C.

DSK wrote:
Richard Cassano wrote:

[...]

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

DSK wrote:
Richard Cassano wrote:

[...]

electric marine hot water heaters Bob D. General 15 June 21st 04 04:16 PM
Pic a watt heaters Jim General 2 April 18th 04 12:18 AM
Pic a watt heaters Jim Boat Building 2 April 18th 04 12:18 AM
Block Heaters for Large Detroit Diesels Wayne.B General 8 February 10th 04 12:30 AM
Toyotomi boat heaters? FishWisher General 2 December 22nd 03 01:27 AM