Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Len Krauss

Default Inflatable Dinghy Speed

Am looking for ways to get a bit more speed out of my inflatable dink.
There's no noticeable increase in boat speed past 1/2 throttle, although the
RPMs seem to increase and the bow lifts somewhat.

It's an 8'6" West Marine (Zodiac) rollup with stiffening slats -- so is flat
bottomed. Power is Nissan 3.5HP -- same as Tohatsu 3.5 and Mercury 3.3 I'm
told.

I've removed the tilt pin because that seems to give the best performance.
In the pin's lowest position the bow lifts excessively. I'm not sure at what
height the anti-cavitation plate should be, but it doesn't seem like much
adjustment is possible. As far as I know there's only one prop (diameter &
pitch) available for this outboard.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Len

-- Eliminate "ns" for email address.