BoatBanter.com

-   -   NEWS FROM FLYING PIG... (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/78145-news-flying-pig.html)

Larry February 8th 07 12:49 AM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

I just got off Skype-to-Skype directly with Lydia in the hotel on her
laptop....Here's the latest news from Flying Pig.

Flying Pig is afloat. It has no holes in the hull. There are stress
cracks from all the flexing but she's holding her own. The only leak is
from the sonar transducer.

Flying Pig is being towed to Keys Boatworks by the salvors as I type this
ETA about 8PM. Lydia had just gotten off the phone with Skip aboard the
salvor's towboat monster. The pumps the salvors have in Flying Pig are
keeping the water pumped out and she's towing fine.

As soon as she gets more information, she'll send the email list another
report from Marathon when they find out.

Any of you guys around Marathon who can make it to Keys Boatworks, even
to just say hello and a little show of support, I'm sure, would be MOST
welcome. Time to give some sailors a hand.....

I asked Lydia about what caused them to be so far off course. She said
it was probably her fault, but I negated that thought straight away. She
and Skip had been in just awful seas and winds for many hours. They were
totally exhausted. She was trying to sleep on the deck in the cabin,
seasick as a dog and I don't think either one of them knew where they
were or what was happening being that exhausted. I'm sure we've all been
in those conditions at one time or another. They are, after all, in
their 60's with just the two of them aboard. That's what happened to the
course. She still sounded pretty out of it on Skype......

Anyone whos laptop doesn't have Skype installed must be crazy...(Larry)
www.skype.com

Larry in Charleston

Jere Lull February 8th 07 02:01 AM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

In article ,
Larry wrote:

I just got off Skype-to-Skype directly with Lydia in the hotel on her
laptop....Here's the latest news from Flying Pig.

Flying Pig is afloat. It has no holes in the hull.

FANTASTIC! Hope all the news is better than it sounded at first.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

Larry February 8th 07 02:17 AM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

Jere Lull wrote in news:jerelull-A435B7.21014607022007
@news.bellatlantic.net:

FANTASTIC! Hope all the news is better than it sounded at first.

Lydia did report to me the hull "flexing" was causing the table to rise and
fall in the waves....which can't be good news. Everything was "moving"
that should have been hard mounted to the hull. The stress cracks probably
came from that. The hull took quite a hit laying on its side on the reef
all night, don't you think?

Nothing was said about sailing rigging damage.....

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.

KLC Lewis February 8th 07 02:42 AM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

Second-guessing the choice of routes -- is Flying Pig too tall for the
Okeechobee Waterway? There's a couple of 55-56 foot fixed bridges at Fort
Meyers, is that why they didn't take it? Seems to me that it would have been
the obvious choice for heading from St. Pete to the Bahamas. I'm assuming
that draft isn't a problem.

Larry February 8th 07 04:50 AM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
:

Second-guessing the choice of routes -- is Flying Pig too tall for the
Okeechobee Waterway? There's a couple of 55-56 foot fixed bridges at
Fort Meyers, is that why they didn't take it? Seems to me that it
would have been the obvious choice for heading from St. Pete to the
Bahamas. I'm assuming that draft isn't a problem.

They may have said something to me about picking up grown children, but I
honestly don't remember. There was a family reason for going to Marathon.

Larry

Wayne.B February 8th 07 05:43 AM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 23:50:59 -0500, Larry wrote:

Second-guessing the choice of routes -- is Flying Pig too tall for the
Okeechobee Waterway? There's a couple of 55-56 foot fixed bridges at
Fort Meyers, is that why they didn't take it?

Absolutely. There's a 53 ft bridge at Cape Coral where I live, and a
49 ft railroad bridge on the east side of Lake O.

KLC Lewis February 8th 07 02:30 PM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 23:50:59 -0500, Larry wrote:

Second-guessing the choice of routes -- is Flying Pig too tall for the
Okeechobee Waterway? There's a couple of 55-56 foot fixed bridges at
Fort Meyers, is that why they didn't take it?

Absolutely. There's a 53 ft bridge at Cape Coral where I live, and a
49 ft railroad bridge on the east side of Lake O.

Thanks, that makes sense. Flying Pig is a pretty big boat. Friends in the LA
harbor had a Morgan 42, and it was huge compared to our CT-41.

Don W February 8th 07 07:06 PM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

Uh oh... Sounds like they got the snot beat out
of them and this is the first I've heard of it. I
hope this isn't the end of the dream for Skip and
Lydia.

Has anyone posted what happened?

Don W.

Don W February 8th 07 07:56 PM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

Don W wrote:

Uh oh... Sounds like they got the snot beat out of them and this is the
first I've heard of it. I hope this isn't the end of the dream for Skip
and Lydia.

Has anyone posted what happened?

Don W.

I found the other posts.

Don W.

NE Sailboat February 8th 07 11:32 PM

NEWS FROM FLYING PIG...

Larry ,, could you post what happened.. I've seen all the "they are doing
ok" postings but I can't quite figure what happened.

Did they just run aground?