BoatBanter.com

-   -   boom outhaul runner hardware (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/77917-boom-outhaul-runner-hardware.html)

CB January 29th 07 04:46 PM

boom outhaul runner hardware

Hi, 1971 Ranger 26, Gary Mull design.

Doing a bit of work on my boom over the winter here and took apart the
outhaul assembly yesterday. I want to get a new one of these:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cb.bradley/OuthaulRunner

I've been calling it the "outhaul runner", it sits in the sail groove
and has some steel cable wired back around a pulley into the boom, ..
where one tightens it etc.

Anyway the point is, what is this thing actually called? That bottom
runner portion is 2 1/4" long on the side shot. I'd like to get
something 4-6" long to reduce stress on the boom sail groove flanges,
which are starting to press out. Also possibly something with a nylon
runner track instead of the aluminum.

I can't find the part in any obvious catalogs but if anyone has a
pointer or a name or anything.. shoot! Thanks,

-CB

Dennis Pogson January 29th 07 05:27 PM

KLC Lewis wrote:
I would look for an "outhaul slug."

"CB" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi, 1971 Ranger 26, Gary Mull design.

Doing a bit of work on my boom over the winter here and took apart
the outhaul assembly yesterday. I want to get a new one of these:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cb.bradley/OuthaulRunner

I've been calling it the "outhaul runner", it sits in the sail groove
and has some steel cable wired back around a pulley into the boom, ..
where one tightens it etc.

Anyway the point is, what is this thing actually called? That bottom
runner portion is 2 1/4" long on the side shot. I'd like to get
something 4-6" long to reduce stress on the boom sail groove flanges,
which are starting to press out. Also possibly something with a nylon
runner track instead of the aluminum.

I can't find the part in any obvious catalogs but if anyone has a
pointer or a name or anything.. shoot! Thanks,

-CB

Outhal slug or outhaul slider. Make sure if you lengthen it that the slider
will actually still tension the foot or you could finish up with a repair
too many!

CB January 29th 07 08:18 PM

boom outhaul runner hardware

Looks like outhaul slide is a winner. Thanks very much for
everyone's comments.

-CB

On Jan 29, 12:27 pm, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:
KLC Lewis wrote:
I would look for an "outhaul slug."

oups.com...

Wayne.B January 30th 07 02:05 PM

On 29 Jan 2007 12:18:39 -0800, "CB" wrote:

Looks like outhaul slide is a winner. Thanks very much for
everyone's comments.

Any good sailboat rigger should know where to get them or be able to
make one for you. Try Tom Anderson at Hathaway, Reiser and Raymond in
Stamford, CT.

www.hathaways.com