BoatBanter.com

-   -   Catalina 250 (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7784-catalina-250-a.html)

Bobsprit October 23rd 03 02:48 PM

Catalina 250

the fellow will have a modern boat while you sail a dead design
dinosaur.

I guess that's why we are first to cross the finish line so often.

How often? There were very few built. Most people never heard of it. Catalina's
of the same vintage have better value and are worth more. So do O'Days. Look it
up.

RB

SAIL LOCO October 23rd 03 05:22 PM

Catalina 250

How often? There were very few built. Most people never heard of it.
Catalina's
of the same vintage have better value and are worth more. So do O'Days. Look it
up....

Once again you prove that you have dyslexia. In my post I said we. I sais
we were first to cross the finish line often. I can't account for other boats.
I can tell you that 2 different Express 30s have been high point champions on
the Chesapeak Bay 5 different times. The C&C 34XL or any other version of that
boat have never won that award once. Suck it up dipwad.
BTW many people don't race 1 design since any of the popular boats in their
area may not fit their needs in other respects. Your such a putz.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

SAIL LOCO October 23rd 03 05:25 PM

Catalina 250

Catalina's
of the same vintage have better value and are worth more.

LOL................ Easy answer. That's because performance boat buyers are
usually more savy. The same guy who buys Consumers report to determine what
toaster to buy buys a Catalina or Hunter. The Catalina or Hunter arn't worth
more their buyer just pays more.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Bobsprit October 23rd 03 05:48 PM

Catalina 250

I can tell you that 2 different Express 30s have been high point champions on
the Chesapeak Bay 5 different times. The C&C 34XL or any other version of that
boat have never won that award once. Suck it up dipwad.

Poor Loco. Sailing handicapped is a joke. Sail boat to boat, one design and
maybe you prove something. I see more Catalina's winning in the USA than
Express by a HUGE margin!

RB

Bobsprit October 23rd 03 05:49 PM

Catalina 250

The Catalina or Hunter arn't worth
more their buyer just pays more.

Which makes them worth more, dopey!

Bwahahahaha!

RB

Bobsprit October 23rd 03 05:55 PM

Catalina 250

The C&C 34XL or any other version of that
boat have never won that award once. Suck it up dipwad.

Are you saying that the 34R is not a winning boat? Are you aware that the XL is
that design outfitted to a cruisable version?
Shall I link you to the hullform/spec comparison? I guess If I wanted to race,
I'd buy a 34R. No thanks! Enjoy your ancient boat!

You lose...AGAIN!

RB

Jim Richardson October 24th 03 01:24 AM

Water ballast (WAS: Catalina 250)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:50:58 -0700,
Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:02:00 +0000, DSK wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Tell me, is your boat's stability increased by filling a fuel tank
down low in the hull? Fuel is definitely lighter than water. How
about a big cooler full of ice & beer?

Compared to AIR, yes. Compared to lead, no. I'd show you the
mathematics if you feed me beer.

Math, huh? Do you do numbers any better than you do logic?

So... because lead ballast is better, as ballast, does that mean water
cannot function AT ALL as ballast?

No. Of course not.

Yes, it does.

(actually, it's physics, not math, but you owe me a beer anyway)

Draw a diagram if you like. Now, the keel imparts a righting moment on the
boat because it exerts a downward force offset (in the x-dir) from the
center of rotation by the distance from the CofR (ie how deep the keel is)
and the angle of heel. Problem is, a water-filled keel does not sink and
therefore exerts NO downward force in water! (actually it does sink a bit
because the fibreglass the keel is made from sinks. You'd be better off
with a solid fibreglass keel...) Remember the water-filled bottle?

People think that because water is "heavy" in air means that it's also
"heavy" (ie exerts a significant downward force) in water. This is simply
not the case. Imagine this: get a boat with no keel and a mast. Put a rope
on the mast and pull on it, giving the boat heel. Now, put a boom out the
upward side with a bucket filled with water. As long as the bucket is in
air, it exerts a righting moment against the rope. But when it's in the
water, the only righting moment from the bucket is from the bucket itself
- the water exerts no righting moment whatsoever.

Now, having a water-filled keel that exerts virtually no downward force is
still preferable to an air-filled keel, which exerts an UPWARD force.
Also, water in the keel will help the boat's "stability" in that it
increases the overall mass (F=ma) so movement is dampened.

But "ballast"? No.

How is that not ballast?

"Hello, and thank you for calling MicroSoft technical support. May I
ask what version of Code Red your server is running?"

SAIL LOCO October 24th 03 05:39 AM

Catalina 250

Poor Loco. Sailing handicapped is a joke. Sail boat to boat, one design
and
maybe you prove something. I see more Catalina's winning in the USA than
Express by a HUGE margin!..

What a stupid comment. 80 Express 30s were made comparied to how many
Catalinas? The other stupid part about your comment is if your seeing a bunch
of Catalina wins it's because of the 27. Many people race the 27. I have
NEVER seen a Catalina 30 on the race course except with the possible exception
of some non spinnaker fun race.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

SAIL LOCO October 24th 03 05:49 AM

Catalina 250

Are you saying that the 34R is not a winning boat? Are you aware that the XL
is
that design outfitted to a cruisable version?

**** you don't even know anything about the boat your (?) buying. The XL stood
for Extra Light. It was C&Cs attempt to combine some of the features of the R
with features of the cruise model to make a better dual purpose boat. A race
boat. I know the boat. Also I never said it wasn't a "winning" boat. Go back
and read again. You always have to do that lately. I said it (in any version)
has never won high point on the Chesapeak Bay. A tough feat to accomplish.
But hey Express 30s have won the award 5 times and a 35 has won more than once.
Maybe the 34R, XL or whatever - has been a winner in your little corner of the
world. The Chesapeak is pretty competitive. Bring that thing down here. Oh
that's right you only "race" people who don't know they are racing.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Bobsprit October 24th 03 11:18 AM

Catalina 250

What a stupid comment. 80 Express 30s were made comparied to how many
Catalinas?

80 boats!!! Bwahahahahaha! So you bought a boat that can only race handicap,
yet you "claim" it comes in first all the time, wins more races and so on!
What a joke. I had no idea the boat had been such a failure. I have a lot of
friends who race loco and do so year round. They ALL own boats that can race
and do race one design.
You just can't win!

RB