BoatBanter.com

-   -   Noisy Xantrex inverter (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7781-noisy-xantrex-inverter.html)

Truelove39 October 9th 03 12:03 AM

Noisy Xantrex inverter

I replaced my Heart Freedom Inverter/Charger with a Xantrex Marine 20
Inverter/Charger. The new unit, if connected to the battery, never shuts off,
despite the Link settings. This causes so much noise that I cannot use my
Icom's remote command mic in the cockpit. Anybody else have this problem and/or
a fix, other than the obvious?

John

jps October 9th 03 04:55 PM

Noisy Xantrex inverter

"Truelove39" wrote in message
I replaced my Heart Freedom Inverter/Charger with a Xantrex Marine 20
Inverter/Charger. The new unit, if connected to the battery, never shuts

off,
despite the Link settings. This causes so much noise that I cannot use my
Icom's remote command mic in the cockpit. Anybody else have this problem

and/or
a fix, other than the obvious?

John

Do you mean it never stops inverting or never stops charging?

Truelove39 October 9th 03 11:24 PM

Noisy Xantrex inverter

"jps" wrote

Do you mean it never stops inverting

Yes. No matter where the threshold is set, when there is no load, it is always
"on." Actually, I have since learned that it sends a pulse at 120 Hz to
determine if there's a load, and I suspect that's the noise I'm getting. I
guess the solution is to disconnect it from the battery. I did not have this
problem with my old Heart Freedom 20 Combi - so much for "improvements."

John

jps October 10th 03 06:41 AM

Noisy Xantrex inverter

"Truelove39" wrote in message

"jps" wrote

Do you mean it never stops inverting

Yes. No matter where the threshold is set, when there is no load, it is

always
"on." Actually, I have since learned that it sends a pulse at 120 Hz to
determine if there's a load, and I suspect that's the noise I'm getting. I
guess the solution is to disconnect it from the battery. I did not have

this
problem with my old Heart Freedom 20 Combi - so much for "improvements."

John

My Heart Freedom 25 was inverting with no apparent reason (I think I had it
set on a pretty low threshhold) and I finally traced it to a boomblaster
that was drawing current for the memory function. It sounds like you've
already messed with the threshhold settings so it's not likely your problem.

I have had good experience with Heart when dealing with warranty issues.
I'd suggest giving them a call (I'm pretty sure they kept the office in
Burlington, WA) and explaining your experience. They sent a technician out
to my boat to service the unit free of charge so I didn't have to R&R the
unit.

jps

jps October 10th 03 11:59 PM

Noisy Xantrex inverter

"jps" wrote in message

I have had good experience with Heart when dealing with warranty issues.
I'd suggest giving them a call (I'm pretty sure they kept the office in
Burlington, WA) and explaining your experience. They sent a technician

out
to my boat to service the unit free of charge so I didn't have to R&R the
unit.

jps

Sorry, that'd be Arlington, not Burlington...