BoatBanter.com

-   -   30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/77657-30-hp-yanmar-repower-v-rebuild.html)

NE Sailboat January 21st 07 01:24 AM

30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

Yo ,, Bob... $6,000 for a rebuild of a motor? Something is wrong with this
picture.

I've priced out a few sailboat aux's recently. I think the price for a new
one was around $5,000.

Where did you get this quote? Did you call engine rebuilders? Something
just doesn't sound right.

"Bob" wrote in message
ps.com...

NE Sailboat wrote:
My thought .. the engine fits the stringers, and therefore it would be
easy
to take out and put back in.

So,, why not just get the engine rebuilt.

Can't you take it out, bring it to a rebuild place, get it all done over
with new this and new that .. then bring it back and put right back where
it
came from?

Yes, that was my thought too. But there are some folks that say
"upgrade" to more modern model. ANd then mention part availibility
problems on 30 year old models. But when I went to my local tractor
dealer they didnt blink an eye when I asked for a rebuild quote on a
marine qm yanmar. The problem was the $6000 he quoted for the rebuild.
Thats a lot of money for a 30 yo motor.

But when I think of trying to modify an existing space for a diffrent
engine I start having flashbacks of a cutting torch and endless detail
modifications. I really like the idea of an exact foot print...... easy
out easy in. But????

Reluctant Bob

Larry January 21st 07 04:01 AM

30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

"Roger Long" wrote in news:45b281b7$0$28089
:

All they know is that part A goes into part
B and they have to assemble 20% more than the old crew did or they'll be
looking for a job.

It's the reason Mercedes Benz no longer produces the finest automobiles in
Stuttgart, but builds a piece of SUV crap in Arkansas with the company
logon on it.

They are no longer listed on "The finest cars in the world" lists.....

Don't think so? Search google for lemon MB SUV models....Man those owners
are ****ED!

Larry - 1973 220D....simple, efficient, no electronics or computers.
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.

Bob January 21st 07 06:29 AM

NE Sailboat wrote:
Yo ,, Bob... $6,000 for a rebuild of a motor? Something is wrong with this
picture.

I've priced out a few sailboat aux's recently. I think the price for a new
one was around $5,000.

Yes, I agree. I walked into a local John deer tractor dealer and made
the mistake of starting with, "I have a sailboat...." Actually the
quote was $5800 and some change.

i just did some more searching and found a rebuilder that has two
3QM30H RW for $4400 each. But rebuilds do differ from shop to shop. But
the tractor quote did seem way out of line. Another factor to consder
is the QM weighs about 750 lbs! I under stand the newer models run 1/2
that. Maybe more room for fuel??? Nah, rum.

xorbit January 21st 07 06:47 AM

Bob wrote:

Yes, that was my thought too. But there are some folks that say
"upgrade" to more modern model. ANd then mention part availibility
problems on 30 year old models. But when I went to my local tractor
dealer they didnt blink an eye when I asked for a rebuild quote on a
marine qm yanmar. The problem was the $6000 he quoted for the rebuild.
Thats a lot of money for a 30 yo motor.

I think $2000 per cylinder is a pretty standard charge for rebuilding a
diesel. $6000 for a three-lunger is not out of line. This is an engine
commonly used in sailboats. If its the original engine, a rebuild will
probably last the remaining life of the boat.

Bob January 21st 07 07:19 AM

Roger Long wrote:
Bob wrote:
But there are some folks that say "upgrade" to more modern model.

Modern isn't always better.
Roger Long

Hi, good point.
I had a conversation with a shop manager at my local GM (car) dealer.
My 1994 car toasted a
heater blower switch and had it replaced in 2000. It failed after 2 ½
years. I put in another one and it failed after 3 years. Each was
genuine GM parts from my genuine GM dealer.

The shop manager explained to me that engineers use computers now and
design more efficiently (insert wise crack here). These efficient
designs reduce the once common and expensive practice of over building
parts that contained wasted potential and added to unwanted weight and
increased costs. My response was, and reduced unit reliability! No
response from the shop manager.

I like to keep things simple. A rebuild and easy replacement sounds a
lot les frustrating than hoping for a similar foot print and all the
potential adapting. My motor lives under the sink in the middle of my
galley. I aint got but an inch any way around for clearance. Great for
engine access when I pull all the covers but I imagine a bear to make
something different fit.

But scheesh... when I sell the boat in 20 years who is going to buy a
boat with a 50 year old motor obviously with at leaser one rebuild?!?!

**** that statement is dumb, who is going to buy a 50 year old boat!?!?
Bob

NE Sailboat January 21st 07 12:22 PM

30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

Bob ,, the BETA 16hp,, maybe not quite what you are looking for but ...

only weighs 205lbs!

I've looked at that engine. It isn't the most powerful deisel but ...
205lbs! Isn't that sweet.

=============================
"Bob" wrote in message
ps.com...

NE Sailboat wrote:
Yo ,, Bob... $6,000 for a rebuild of a motor? Something is wrong with
this
picture.

I've priced out a few sailboat aux's recently. I think the price for a
new
one was around $5,000.

Yes, I agree. I walked into a local John deer tractor dealer and made
the mistake of starting with, "I have a sailboat...." Actually the
quote was $5800 and some change.

i just did some more searching and found a rebuilder that has two
3QM30H RW for $4400 each. But rebuilds do differ from shop to shop. But
the tractor quote did seem way out of line. Another factor to consder
is the QM weighs about 750 lbs! I under stand the newer models run 1/2
that. Maybe more room for fuel??? Nah, rum.

January 21st 07 12:54 PM

30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

I went that route before with a one cylinder 1982 yanmar. It cost me $3600
CAD to have the engine overhaul. After 20 hours of running time the crank
shaft broke in two. I am still trying to get it fix under "warranty". The
guy that overhauled the engine said that it not worth spending any more
money. I have learned a lesson the hard way. A rebuild, overhaul, or
refurbished 20 years old diesel engine could turn out to be a nightmare.
The new components may be of quality but the engine block may not.
Plus the warranty on rebuild engine (If you have a valid one and if they are
willing to honour it) is in days whether the boat is at the dock or not.
FWIW

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Bob ,, the BETA 16hp,, maybe not quite what you are looking for but ...

only weighs 205lbs!

I've looked at that engine. It isn't the most powerful deisel but ...
205lbs! Isn't that sweet.

=============================
"Bob" wrote in message
ps.com...

Roger Long January 21st 07 02:14 PM

30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

When I took over the management and maintenance of the 172 I used to fly,
the original turn coordinator installed in the panel in 1976 was still in
the plane. By the time I stopped flying five years later, we had put two
new ones in. Same design from the same company. Workmanship is as important
as design.

Much of the resdesign you talk about is intended to make workmanship less
important in the quality of the final product. It certainly does that. No
matter how good or bad the workmanship is, the product is still a piece of
crap!

--
Roger Long

Roger Long January 21st 07 02:27 PM

30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

Bob,

Your original post no longer shows up but I think from some responses I may
have missed the point that your engine is salt water cooled. If that is the
case, I would not rebuild it. My engine was run in fresh water till I
bought the boat so is probably worth an overhaul.

I was told at a boat show that the new Yanmars drop right into the same
space as the old ones. These are great engines and a new 3GM is probably
your best bet.

BTW more often than not when I'm advising someone on repowering a sailboat,
I'll find that they have a 3 cylinder engine but a prop that can only use
the horsepower of a 2 cylinder. You very well might be able to put in a
lighter and cheaper 2GM that would be happier running closer to its design
point and give you the same performance you have now. It wouldn't be quite
as smooth but the 2QM running a 2 blade prop in my boat is as smooth as I
could ask for. Fuel economy will also be slightly better taking the same
horsepower out of one less cylinder. The 2GM should fit easily on the same
beds as the 3GM with more room at one end.

I can give you a rough answer on this if you tell me:

Displacement
Length on Waterline

I can give you a better answer if you an also tell me:

Current HP and reduction gear ratio
Prop size, pitch' and number of blades
Propeller aperture size
Current max RPM and speed at that RPM

--
Roger Long

Bob January 21st 07 06:05 PM

Roger Long wrote:
I can give you a rough answer on this if you tell me:

Displacement
Length on Waterline

I can give you a better answer if you an also tell me:

Current HP and reduction gear ratio
Prop size, pitch' and number of blades
Propeller aperture size
Current max RPM and speed at that RPM
Roger Long

Hi Roger:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my QM is a raw water engine. I need to dig
out my manual for the Hurth-18 gear ratio. 2.37 may be the answer but I
need to check And this is another issue: I read the hurth18 was a
special model for the qm only. A rare pair with no parts availble. Seem
to remember a post about having to ceate a modifed flange and fit
another hurth gear on the QMs. My head hurts thinking about this.
Ill post the specs you requesed in a couple days. Thank you for
offering your time on this.
Bob