BoatBanter.com

-   -   Holding Tank Problem (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7765-holding-tank-problem.html)

William Green October 5th 03 05:36 PM

Holding Tank Problem

The waste holding tank in my Island Packet PC-35 is showing some serious
corrosion at the discharge fitting. This is a welded aluminum tank of 30
gallons. All other tanks (also welded aluminum) seem in perfect shape. I
have two questions. 1) "What happened?" and 2) Does anyone have experience
replacing this tank in the Packet Cat - it looks like it might require a
chop saw to extract?

Bill Green
"Gratitude"

Peggie Hall October 5th 03 06:11 PM

Holding Tank Problem

William Green wrote:
The waste holding tank in my Island Packet PC-35 is showing some serious
corrosion at the discharge fitting. This is a welded aluminum tank of 30
gallons. All other tanks (also welded aluminum) seem in perfect shape. I
have two questions. 1) "What happened?"

It's not uncommon. Urine is so corrosive that it makes salt appear
benign in comparision...it will typically eat through a weld at a seam
or fitting of any metal tank--aluminum or stainless--within 2-5 years,
the sheet metal within 10...making metal tanks a bad choice for waste
holding. So why would a top quality boat builder like IP continue to use
aluminum tanks? The early poly tanks were an even worse choice...poor
quality, highly failure prone, creating a unshakeable mindset that
aluminum or stainless is a better choice than poly, even though metal
waste holding tanks rarely last more than 10 years, while top quality
poly tanks last for decades.

and 2) Does anyone have experience
replacing this tank in the Packet Cat - it looks like it might require a
chop saw to extract?

It prob'ly will...you might ask the folks on the sailnet IP email list
if any of them have a Packet Cat. As for a replacement, your best
source IMO is Ronco Plastics (no relation to the Ronco VegoMatic
company)...they make TOP quality poly tanks for a very reasonable price,
and have more than 400 shapes and sizes to choose from, including over
100 that are non-rectangular. Their catalog is on their website at
http://www.ronco-plastics.com. I have no connection with them,
btw...just know their quality and selection.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Lew Hodgett October 6th 03 10:07 PM

Holding Tank Problem

"Peggie Hall" writes:

snip
As for a replacement, your best
source IMO is Ronco Plastics (no relation to the Ronco VegoMatic
company)...they make TOP quality poly tanks for a very reasonable price,
and have more than 400 shapes and sizes to choose from, including over
100 that are non-rectangular.

Laying up your own tank is also an option.

SFWIW, Ronco is in the neighborhood, but they didn't have what I wanted so
laid up my own tank using knitted glass and epoxy complete with a vertical
polypropylene screen to keep the suction tubes from ever plugging.

Built a mold to match the exact available cavity, then laid up the tank and
sealed with coal tar epoxy tank resin.

Did I save any money?

Get serious, but I got what I wanted which is the only reason for doing a
custom build in the first place.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Peggie Hall October 7th 03 03:02 AM

Holding Tank Problem

Lew Hodgett wrote:
...laid up my own tank using knitted glass and epoxy complete with a vertical
polypropylene screen to keep the suction tubes from ever plugging.

What's to keep the screen from becoming clogged up, Lew? Tell me more
about this, 'cuz I'm having a hard time visualizing any screen in a
holding tank that wouldn't cause more problems than it solves.

The problem I see with any type of screen is, waste contains animals
fats...they're what clogs up internal holding senders...they build up
inside the tank--and I would assume on any screens--the same way fats
and grease can build up in sink drains. Are you onto something I need
to know about?

Btw...while I have at least a few people's attention...I may or may not
be MIA from this group for a week starting Weds...I'll be at the
Annapolis Sailboat Show. Fawcett's Boat Supply carries a lot of my
publisher's books (including mine, I hope!) and has given Seaworthy
Publications some space in one of their booths for "vendor support."
It's PRIME "real estate," too! In the big A-tent, right across the asile
from Raritan. I'll be there for the duration...so if any of you are
planning to come to the show, I hope you'll stop by the booth and say hi.

Peggie
----------

Lew Hodgett October 7th 03 04:03 AM

Holding Tank Problem

"Peggie Hall" writes:

What's to keep the screen from becoming clogged up, Lew? Tell me more
about this, 'cuz I'm having a hard time visualizing any screen in a
holding tank that wouldn't cause more problems than it solves.

snip

"Screen" may be a little bit of a misnomer.

Actually it is a 1/4" thick sheet of polypropylene with 1/4" dia holes on a
60 degree diamond pattern.

A very common coarse screening material in the chemical industry.

Anything that enters the pumpout lift tube has to get thru a 1/4" dia hole
first.

To paraphrase the story of the three bears, not to big, not to small, just
the right size for the job at hand.

HTH

Peggie Hall October 7th 03 05:19 AM

Holding Tank Problem

What's to keep the screen from becoming clogged up, Lew? Tell me more
about this, 'cuz I'm having a hard time visualizing any screen in a
holding tank that wouldn't cause more problems than it solves.

snip

"Screen" may be a little bit of a misnomer.

Actually it is a 1/4" thick sheet of polypropylene with 1/4" dia holes on a
60 degree diamond pattern.

A very common coarse screening material in the chemical industry.

Anything that enters the pumpout lift tube has to get thru a 1/4" dia hole
first.

To paraphrase the story of the three bears, not to big, not to small, just
the right size for the job at hand.

Hmmmmm... Maybe...chemicals don't have fats in 'em. I dunno why it would
be necessary as long as nothing gets flushed that shouldn't be...and if
something ever is, it won't be any more fun to clean the screen than it
is to clean out a plugged discharge fitting. But, I'll keep an open
mind, and be very interested in knowing whether you have any problems
with it over time.

Peggie
----------

Lew Hodgett October 7th 03 05:29 AM

Holding Tank Problem

"Peggie Hall" writes:

Hmmmmm... Maybe...chemicals don't have fats in 'em. I dunno why it would
be necessary as long as nothing gets flushed that shouldn't be...and if
something ever is, it won't be any more fun to clean the screen than it
is to clean out a plugged discharge fitting. But, I'll keep an open
mind, and be very interested in knowing whether you have any problems
with it over time.

It is not an original design by any means, first saw it used in a commercial
holding tank on my last boat for over 10 years.

BTW, the screen is about 36" x 42". By the time than amount of surface area
would get plugged, my ashes will long ago have been cast to the winds.

James Johnson October 21st 03 12:16 AM

Holding Tank Problem

Peggy, I bought your book and it is great. Was at the show on Monday stopped by
the booth couple of times but you weren't there. Sorry I missed you.

JJ

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:02:59 GMT, Peggie Hall wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply

Peggie Hall October 21st 03 03:15 AM

Holding Tank Problem

James Johnson wrote:
Peggy, I bought your book and it is great. Was at the show on Monday stopped by
the booth couple of times but you weren't there. Sorry I missed you.

I'm sorry too. Monday was my day to crawl around as many boats as
possible to see how they're plumbed, so I was out of the booth quite a
bit that day. But I'm glad you bought my book anyway...thanks! :)

Peggie