BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yanmar 420 Hp reliability (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7739-yanmar-420-hp-reliability.html)

Carl September 30th 03 11:27 PM

Yanmar 420 Hp reliability

My port engine just blew.

The fuel injection timing assembly "grenaded" itself causing a rod to
be thrown which put a 4" dia hole in the side of the engine.

Has anyone ever experienced a failure mechanism like this? Ever figure
what might be the root cause?

Larry W4CSC October 1st 03 03:31 AM

Yanmar 420 Hp reliability

What RPM and how long was it there?

On 30 Sep 2003 15:27:03 -0700, (Carl) wrote:

My port engine just blew.

The fuel injection timing assembly "grenaded" itself causing a rod to
be thrown which put a 4" dia hole in the side of the engine.

Has anyone ever experienced a failure mechanism like this? Ever figure
what might be the root cause?

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

John October 1st 03 05:24 PM

Yanmar 420 Hp reliability

(Carl) wrote in message m...
My port engine just blew.

The fuel injection timing assembly "grenaded" itself causing a rod to
be thrown which put a 4" dia hole in the side of the engine.

Has anyone ever experienced a failure mechanism like this? Ever figure
what might be the root cause?

From what you indicated, it sounds as if the someone claims the thrown
rod was caused by an excessive amount of fuel being injected way too
early in the compression stroke. I've never heard of an injection pump
failure causing a rod failure. I can't see, even worst case, the pump
injecting that much fuel that early. Rod failures are usually due to,
very high operating speed, or, lack of lubrication, or, a defective
rod. I suspect the pump is just fine and someone is trying to get out
of covering the cost of the repair (new block, might be cheaper to get
a new engine when all is said and done). Injection pumps do fail, but
when they do, the engine runs like hell, if at all.

Something sounds funny here.