Default Running a large diesel slow

As we continue to look at trawlers and motor yachts, they seem to come
in a wide range of diesel engines. We've seen some 44' - 47' boats that
use engines ranging in horsepower from a single 125 to twin 450s. They
seem to have only small "relative" differences in LWL (to me meaning
similar hull speeds). They have differences in displacement, but the
differences don't seem to track very closely to engine HP.

If these boats are operated below planing speed as displacement hulls,
then shouldn't they require around the same amount of power to push them
through the water?

In reading engine specifications (power and fuel consumption) it appears
that large diesel engines running at a relatively low RPMs use around
the same of less fuel than smaller diesels that are run harder. Or at
least the horsepower to the prop seems to cost about the same fuel
consumption regardless of engine size. The engine RPMs for a given HP
seems to fall at different points on the torque curve for larger HP
engines than for smaller ones, especially for turbocharged engines. (I
don't know if this makes any difference or not.)

(OK, thanks for following. This is what I'm leading up to....)

So is it more economical to operate large diesel engines at low RPM or
small diesel engines at higher RPMs?

Is there a long term problem with either running a large diesel under
gentle RPMs or a smaller diesel closer to its continuous duty capacity?

Is there a maintenance advantage (extended oil, belt, filter, etc.,
longer engine life) to running a diesel slower?

Are these questions even meaningful to boat ownership and maintenance?

TIA and happy New Year to all!!

Cal:

You are going through exactly the analysis that I did before buying our new
trawler.

As you have noted there are true displacment trawlers- Krogens for example
and fast trawlers- Sabres, Mainships, Albins to name a few. The true
displacment trawlers have naturally aspirated diesels- the venerable Ford
Lehman, or lightly turbocharged, low rpm diesels- the John Deere in the
Krogen. The fast trawlers have somewhat larger engines, but mostly they are
heavily turbocharged with high boost pressures, common rail fuel injection,
etc which yields up to 70 hp per liter.

In my view if you don't go overboard, you can operate a fast trawler slow at
displacment speeds and enjoy the benefits of the fast engine when you need
it. Yes, the Krogen is a very efficient displacment hull and the John Deere
is a very efficient modern diesel. But a fast trawler such as my Mainship
34T with its 370 hp Yanmar can operate at displacement speeds just fine. I
run mine about half the time at displacement speeds and another half at
about 35 hp/liter which just gets me into planing territory at 12 kts.

The other consideration is running the high horsepower engine too slow and
at too light of a load. At some point- less than 10 hp per liter in my view,
a modern high output diesel will not reach operating temperatures. Then you
will get sooting, unburned fuel washing the cylinder walls, glazing, high
oil consumption, etc. But if you stay at 10 hp per liter or greater,
particularly if you run at fast cruising speeds for the last ten minutes of
the day, then you will be ok.

Some trawlers, the Sabres and Albins come to mind, put such large twin
engines that you can't really run them a displacment speeds and stay at the
10 hp per liter rule. These might work if you only ran one engine, however.

And back to your original question about engine efficiency. My Yanmar 370
peaks at about .05 gal/hp/hr at 2,800 rpm which is my fast cruising speed.
Slow it down to 1,700 rpm and it drops to .06 gal/hp/hr. I suspect there are
two reasons for this. First it takes a lot of parasitic horsepower to simply
turn over a big block and that parasitic horsepower is a bigger part of the
total at 1,700 rpm (60 hp) than at 2,800 rpm (200 hp). Secondly an injector
that can squirt enough fuel for 370 hp won't be very efficient at 60 hp. The
common rail piezo injectors have improved on this however.

An engine designed for displacment speeds only, say 3 liters and 100 hp
would be about 20% more efficient than the 370 hp Yanmar in my boat.

So, I probably answered more questions than you asked. Enjoy your search for
a new trawler.

David

Cal Vanize wrote:
[...]

Cal, you hit on a bunch of points, let me see if I can cover them.
First off, trawlers are displacement hulls, adding lots more power does
not equate to lots more speed. I've seen plenty of lobster boats that
crused at 15 knots with say a 200 Hp engine. Someone decides to add a
400 Hp engine, and only gains three knots (provided the hull continues
to operate in the displacement mode, some start to climb up on a plane
on the keel, and fall off, resulting in a scary ride). My point being,
as you noticed, don't expect to see a dramatic increase in speed due to
much higher power, that's just the way displacement hulls behave.

On running engines at low RPM's, diesels, like gas engines, have their
"sweet spot" where they run best. On older style engines, running them
for extended times at low RPM's can cause problems. When you do this
it's best to give the boat/engine a good run to burn off any soot that
may start to build up. Sportfishing boats run into this after extended
periods of trolling, when they make the run home the engines typically
run poorly for a short period of time while everything is burned off.
On newer style common rail engines I suspect this is not as much of an
issue. Diesel's run best under load at rated RPM's. While the engine
speed and economy varries from engine to engine a propeller is most
effeciant at slow speeds, so the best combination is a large propeller
spinning as slow as practical. For a trawler a slower turning engine
makes the most sense, your just not going to be able to use the extra
RPM's a faster spinning engine has, they will gear the engine, or prop
the boat, with less reduction and a smaller prop (beware, they tend to
under prop such engines on purpose, to me that's a dead giveaway that
their not going to hold up).

For your application, a reasonable size engine, turning at lower RPM's
is your best bet, a common rail setup would really give you the best of
both worlds. It will give you good fuel burn numbers, good speed and
long term reliability. I would stick with engine manufacturers like
Cat, Cummins (I would avoid the over 300 Hp 5.9 engines) or Lugger, I
would avoid the lightweight high RPM engines, I haven't seen then hold
up as well. The right engine should outlast you. I hope this helps you.

John

Bob Bob is offline

Cal Vanize wrote:
As we continue to look at trawlers and motor yachts, they seem to come
in a wide range of diesel engines.

As a confirmed old school sail guy I have advocated a specific
"trawler" type to all. its really a buy of a llife time opportuity.

Do a Google search for ship brokers and look at the "gulf shrimper"
vessels. I defy you to compare the following numbers for a MOTOR BOAT:

1997 to about 2000
Steel
75' x 22' x 12' of course may vary up to 85' x 24'x 13'
Single 540 HP Cat.... 3412 rated at 100% continous HD.... Industry
standard.
20 GPH
Got problems???? Just go to any real boat yard that works on real work
boats, not "yachts" and get a fair deal for fair work.

Now get this........................... $100,000 to about $120,000

Why on earth would anyone buy some fiberglass, candy ass, yacht when
yas can get a real boat for 1/5 the price????!?!?!
Bob

Hi,
The smaller the diesel engine the harder it has to work to achieve the
hull speed of the boat.

(Square root of the waterline length X 1.34)

You need the minimum size diesel that will achieve this. If 50
horsepower does it then that is what you need.

Diesels must be worked hard or there are several issues with glazing and
smoking. A hard worked diesel engine is a happy engine.

If you want a planing fast boat then you must buy more horsepower.
However a Trawler type 'Slow Boat' only needs minimum power.

They are cheaper to run per hour as well.

Oliver Fleming

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:16:19 +1000, Oliver Fleming wrote:

Hi,
The smaller the diesel engine the harder it has to work to achieve
the
hull speed of the boat.

(Square root of the waterline length X 1.34)

You need the minimum size diesel that will achieve this. If 50
horsepower does it then that is what you need.

The rule of thumb for this is 2hp per ton of displacement. So a 20 ton
boat would need 40hp to reach hull speed, and a 50hp diesel to operate at
80% capacity (another rule of thumb). But this doesn't take wind or waves
into account.

Matt O.

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:34:08 -0500, Matt O'Toole
wrote:

The rule of thumb for this is 2hp per ton of displacement. So a 20 ton
boat would need 40hp to reach hull speed, and a 50hp diesel to operate at
80% capacity (another rule of thumb).

But this doesn't take wind or waves
into account.

Or hull shape, bottom condition, engine/propellor configuration, etc

"Oliver Fleming" wrote in
:

The smaller the diesel engine the harder it has to work to achieve
the
hull speed of the boat.

(Square root of the waterline length X 1.34)

You need the minimum size diesel that will achieve this. If 50
horsepower does it then that is what you need.

Diesels must be worked hard or there are several issues with
glazing and
smoking. A hard worked diesel engine is a happy engine.

If you want a planing fast boat then you must buy more horsepower.
However a Trawler type 'Slow Boat' only needs minimum power.

They are cheaper to run per hour as well.

Oliver Fleming

Dead on and very well said. I see overpowered Nordic Tugs PLOWING down
the ICW through Charleston on the Florida Express trying, in vain, to
drive them like a bass boat with those overpowered "Express" engines.
All they do is make a huge bow wave to crash into everyone's boat and
dock near shore. With that big a bow wave, they must be just guzzling
diesel. It certainly doesn't make speed.

On the other hand, my friend Dan lived aboard a 1980-something Hatteras
56 FBMY with twin 8V92TA (twin turbos) train engines in it driving 32"
screws, Naiad Stabilizers and hydraulic planing fins under the swim
platform you had to climb down to. Dan is NOT a boat captain and could
barely sidle it up to a dock with all this power. He was deathly afraid
of planing it. So, there are these HUGE 735hp twin two-stroker beasts
idling along at 1200 RPM in "trawler mode" for hours on end. The book
says they should have had all kinds of problems...coking, carbon
deposits, all those awful things, glazing, you hear about. Dan never
worked them at all...just idling around. The only time they were "worked
hard" was when I was at the helm, offshore and away from the fishermen
far enough where the monster wake wouldn't sink anyone. It was a sight
to behold with 55 tons riding right up on plane. I trimmed the tabs,
energized the Naiads I'd just fixed others had given up on, and after the
big exhausts cleared their throats of the accumulated carbon in them
(leaving a black trail that looked like a steamship blowing its tubes..
(c...she ran great! I never saw any evidence of anything dastardly
when I throttled them up to full. All the rest of the time they ran at
just above idle in the ICW or around the harbor.

The diesel engineers pulled both engines apart when Dan sold her for the
new owner to assess their condition. Their condition was outstanding, as
I suspected because they always started dead cold on the second
compression they came to, even in what little winter we have here. They
found one weak spring in the injection and replaced it. Far as I know,
the new owner I've seen when it passes through Charleston, never
mentioned any problems with them, a lot of hours later. He wanted me to
make a drawing of the extensive power distribution system I had installed
for the electronics suite from a separate panel. I mailed it to him in
the BVI.

I don't think running them at so little load so slow hurts them at
all....

My feeling for a trawler is it should have just enough HP to climb its
way up a fairly good sized ocean swell when it's rough outside. 50hp
isn't it, unless you're going to stay in the ditch and never go outside.
I'd want the extra HP to make sure I wasn't going to slide back any more
than is absolutely necessary. But, I think twin 400hp V-8's is stupid.
The boat builders must be doing that to satisfy the demand of buyers whos
lives move at the speed of jets. Those people shouldn't be buying a
trawler in the first place....or a sailboat...

Everyone is in WAY too much of a hurry to "get there"....

Google proves MacGregor 26 is flimsy Ellen MacArthur ASA 299 December 16th 06 07:13 PM
Marine algae derived enzymes as diesel catalysts.......... [email protected] General 1 May 23rd 06 05:15 AM
The Diesel Engine winder General 3 January 23rd 05 02:59 PM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 07:46 PM
Habbi's gearcase full of water K Smith General 9 December 26th 03 11:48 AM