BoatBanter.com

-   -   clothes storage (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/77021-clothes-storage.html)

Shaun Van Poecke December 27th 06 08:09 AM

clothes storage

has anyone come up with some clever ways of storing clothes? I dont really
want to install a wardrobe in my already limited cabin space, but ill need a
bit of space somewhere for a few changes of clothes for my partner and
myself.

Dennis Pogson December 27th 06 09:51 AM

clothes storage

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
has anyone come up with some clever ways of storing clothes? I dont
really want to install a wardrobe in my already limited cabin space,
but ill need a bit of space somewhere for a few changes of clothes
for my partner and myself.

Buy clothing vacuum packs, and a small vacuum cleaner for use on the boat,
and to suck out the air from the packs. You will gain about 300% space
compared to loose clothing.

Dennis.

Ansley W. Sawyer December 27th 06 12:48 PM

clothes storage

Try little cargo net hammocks. They stretch along the hull and you can put a
lot of stuff in them.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Larry December 27th 06 02:36 PM

clothes storage

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in
:

has anyone come up with some clever ways of storing clothes? I dont
really want to install a wardrobe in my already limited cabin space,
but ill need a bit of space somewhere for a few changes of clothes for
my partner and myself.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...p?pn=100356474

Uses your vacuum cleaner at home to suck the air out and flattens
everything tripling your capacity....$10 each....Home Depot.

Mildew doesn't live in a vacuum....Won't even get wet if you flood the
boat! Probably won't float, though, either....(c;

Bill Kearney December 27th 06 06:05 PM

clothes storage

Buy clothing vacuum packs, and a small vacuum cleaner for use on the boat,
and to suck out the air from the packs. You will gain about 300% space
compared to loose clothing.

Even plain old ziploc bags are great. Roll or otherwise fold the clothes,
put them in the zipper bags and squash 'em a bit to get the air out. Saves
you space and keeps them fresh and dry. I keep a ready supply of several
sizes. The small sandwich ones are great in a pinch for all sorts of tiny
bits (cash, wallet, phone, etc). The gallon XL, XXL and XXXL sizes have
come in handy on many occasions and are usually cheap to buy in bulk at
Costco-type stores.

Jere Lull December 28th 06 01:26 AM

clothes storage

In article ,
Larry wrote:

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in
:

has anyone come up with some clever ways of storing clothes? I
dont really want to install a wardrobe in my already limited cabin
space, but ill need a bit of space somewhere for a few changes of
clothes for my partner and myself.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...p?pn=100356474

Uses your vacuum cleaner at home to suck the air out and flattens
everything tripling your capacity....$10 each....Home Depot.

Mildew doesn't live in a vacuum....Won't even get wet if you flood
the boat! Probably won't float, though, either....(c;

Doesn't take the strength of a home vac. We have a 12vdc auto vac that
does pretty well. If you have the space, the 1 gallon "shop vac"
(wet/dry) vacs are handy. That's what we use for long-term storage, as
clothes *do* get musty-smelling otherwise.

Stuff we use regularly goes in our "V" cubbies, which are dry. We used
the little gear hammocks on the smaller boat, but watch for abrasion.

--
Jere Lull

Larry December 28th 06 02:56 AM

clothes storage

Jere Lull wrote in news:jerelull-462C56.20264927122006
@news.bellatlantic.net:

watch for abrasion

On rec.boats.cruising, we're always on the lookout for abrasion....(c;

Very painful, abrasion....

Keith December 28th 06 05:32 AM

clothes storage

Get rid of all the bulky clothes, keep barely what you need on board,
put the rest in storage with mothballs.
Heck, T-shirts and swim trunks don't take up much space. Underwear? We
don't need no steenkin' underwear!

Larry December 28th 06 01:32 PM

clothes storage

"Keith" wrote in news:1167283928.617217.118790
@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Heck, T-shirts and swim trunks don't take up much space. Underwear? We
don't need no steenkin' underwear!

Sail naked.....(c;

Those bumper stickers are all over town, here....

Stupid, prudish Americans are out on the beach busting beautiful women in
thongs...

Jere Lull December 29th 06 02:27 AM

clothes storage

In article ,
Larry wrote:

"Keith" wrote in news:1167283928.617217.118790
@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Heck, T-shirts and swim trunks don't take up much space. Underwear? We
don't need no steenkin' underwear!

Sail naked.....(c;

Hey, it's what *we* do as founding members of the Chesapeake Flotilla of
the Nautical Naturists http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chesapeake/,
nearly 1000 boats strong, but it's not for everyone.

Sure cuts down on the laundry.

--
Jere Lull