BoatBanter.com

-   -   Thinning Epoxy (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/76764-re-thinning-epoxy.html)

Mik December 19th 06 04:37 AM

Thinning Epoxy

James wrote:
A while back someone mentioned that you could thin epoxy with acetone.
I need to pour some into some cracks.I'm using System 3 epoxy. Thanks,
Jim

Never tried it successfully, but you can thin the epoxy by warming** it
up to around room temperature (and not more than about 80 degree).
Also, make sure the wood is warm, as this will help the epoxy wick into
the cracks.

**warning** heating epoxy causes it to cure quicker, and thus kick off
more heat.

Also, aggressive brushing can work the epoxy quiter a ways into the cracks.

Lew Hodgett December 19th 06 05:16 AM

Thinning Epoxy

James wrote:
A while back someone mentioned that you could thin epoxy with acetone.
I need to pour some into some cracks.I'm using System 3 epoxy.

FORGET acetone.

You can thin epoxy with denatured alcohol up to about 5% by weight max.

Lew

jamesgangnc December 19th 06 01:12 PM

Thinning Epoxy

And save yourself a bunch of money, visit the us composites web page
next time you need some epoxy.

James December 19th 06 03:38 PM

Thinning Epoxy

Lew Hodgett wrote:

James wrote:
A while back someone mentioned that you could thin epoxy with
acetone. I need to pour some into some cracks.I'm using System 3
epoxy.

FORGET acetone.

You can thin epoxy with denatured alcohol up to about 5% by weight
max.

Lew

Their prices are about the same as I'm paying at our local Woodcraft
store without shipping. Jim

James December 20th 06 03:50 PM

Thinning Epoxy

James wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

James wrote:
A while back someone mentioned that you could thin epoxy with
acetone. I need to pour some into some cracks.I'm using System
3 epoxy.

FORGET acetone.

You can thin epoxy with denatured alcohol up to about 5% by weight
max.

Lew

Their prices are about the same as I'm paying at our local Woodcraft
store without shipping. Jim

--

I am the original poster and I get System 3 at the local Woodcraft
store here in Boise, ID and the cost is about the same as US Epoxy

James December 20th 06 04:17 PM

Thinning Epoxy

James wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

James wrote:
[...]

Correction. This belongs with the thread about US Epoxy. Another Senior
moment. Sorry. Jim