BoatBanter.com

-   -   Rocking and rolling (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/76721-rocking-rolling.html)

Roger Long December 16th 06 02:55 PM

Rocking and rolling

Some of you have been following the pitching thread might find this
discussion of rolling interesting. It's directed at research vessels but
has a plain language discussion of rolling motions. Powerboaters should
find it informative. For sailors, I would note that sails provide a massive
amount of damping.

http://www.unols.org/publications/ma...ium/motion.pdf

This document is published on the University National Oceanographic
Laboratory System web site. This is the organization of research vessel
operators.

--
Roger Long

Larry December 17th 06 12:34 AM

Rocking and rolling

"Roger Long" wrote in news:FNTgh.5004$nq5.2785
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

For sailors, I would note that sails provide a massive
amount of damping.

Rolling? The handrails are already draggin' in the water rushing by. It
only rolls if the riggin' comes apart....(c;

Anybody at sea with crew sitting comfortably and not propped up against
something to keep from sliding off...isn't trying hard enough.

Larry