Skip Gundlach

Default Does anyone know this boat??? (AKA my ideal design)

A few pieces of background: My wife and I want to buy a sailboat on which
we'll live full time and cruise the Caribbean and perhaps the Atlantic.
We'll be alone, but may have frequent guests of a couple and perhaps kids,
though most likely not. Circumnav is not currently interesting, but we
never know! For a variety of reasons, we'd prefer to keep it as small as
possible, but recognize that bigger can mean easier in storage, space and
livability terms. So, given that many years ago, a 40' boat was "huge"
we'd like to keep it there or less, but might have to give in to another
foot.

We started with the footprint and basic concept of a Morgan Classic 41, but
changed several things. Here's the 'design specs' on our ideal boat:

Topsides:

Good locker space - probably the entire stern in lazarettes, plus propane
locker and dink fuel locker, and anchor locker/chain locker (perhaps a
fairlead to chain locker under the V to lower and move aft the weight??)
Space for windlass not interfering with locker - perhaps lazarette
equivalency (fenders, dock lines, sails??)
Raised toe rail to capture water directed to fills after rinse and plugged
scuppers
Sloop or ketch rig, keel stepped, dual headsail/removable inner forestay
rig/running backs. If ketch, independently stayed spars
Center cockpit - enough back to sit comfortably, enough cap to provide for
belowdecks headroom, relatively narrow footspace to provide bracing when
heeled, seats long and wide enough to sleep topsides, majority of deck/sole
removable/hatch to engine room, main traveler on stern cap
Abundant hatches - could be shoebox, standard Bowmar-type, FG with light
translucence, but all with opposed/switchable hinges. Objective:
ventilation, emergency exits, security from casual attack
Abundant opening ports - ventilation, light
Bow and stern stainless rails - port, starboard and stern entries
Jack lines and other harness clip points, including the cockpit
Set up for singlehanding

Interior:

Minimum 6'-4" standing headroom in all walk or normal stand areas (not
seating), minimum 36" seating room in any seating or berth space
V berth (guest) forward, with no head but some hanging and fair drawer
storage, below/cave storage - if bow design included lazarette/lockers, wide
foot space comes free
Inline salon with forward bulkhead-mount drop table, flip-out to full table
for settee with astern L. If two settees, parallel orientation for table
efficiency, or individual seating opposite L settee
Storage behind/over and under (tankage?) settees
Offset companionway to allow wider galley, astern L settee
Galley athwart, full reefer and sink (to engine room astern) butting astern
to workroom, forward dry storage with drawers amidship, overhead storage
both athwart, propane locker outboard
Nav opposite galley
Single walk-through head and shower behind nav, engine room removable full
access panels, drop-seat for shower convenience
Opposite head (other side of engine room) workroom, tools and storage with
removable full access panels to engine room, with entry door from aft
cabin
Stern cabin berth athwart, minimum 6'-3" deep inline to allow sleeping ahull
under way
Engine room accessible from tool/work room, walkthrough head, aft vanity,
cockpit deck

Hull:

Sheer, or close to it, stern for best use of space, or sugarscoop
45* or less entry bow (less overhang), again for space efficiency per length
Relatively straight or slightly flared sides (no tumblehome) to the rub
rail/deck joint
Wide Fin and skeg rudder or severely modified full keel - a scheel keel
would be nice!
Sea chest or equivalent water intake and minimal output through-hulls
About 6' draft (5 to 7?)

What do you know that looks like this???

Thanks.

L8R

Skip and Lydia

Skip Gundlach

From: "Skip Gundlach"
Subject: WORMS!!!
Date: Monday, September 22, 2003 10:28 AM

Howdy...

You'll note that my 'mailto' and reply addresses are a uga address. That's
a forwarding from my first account, which people going back into the early
80s have, so I've kept it alive as a destination, and as a means of knowing
when a usenet communication is coming (via the account to which it's
posted). However...

Any of you desiring to communicate with me off-list should do so at (my
name, all one word) @earthlink.net. That's because...

One or more of the newsgroups in which I participate has one or more who
have been infected with the current MS worm, and it's overloading my mailbox
with 150k messages at the rate of a couple hundred an hour.

So, I've blocked the engr.uga address, which will bounce all mail coming to
me through that address...

Yes, I'm protected, and no, it didn't come from me (or it wouldn't be going
to uga, as all my mail goes through either the mindspring or earthlink
servers). I do daily virus definition and other updates, and dump the
infected file automatically, so it never even gets opened in my local
computer - but it's overwhelmed my ISP server, and I'm perpetually over
quota!

We'll return you to your normal programming shortly :{))

L8R

Skip

Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:30:35 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:
///
One or more of the newsgroups in which I participate has one or more who
have been infected with the current MS worm, and it's overloading my mailbox
with 150k messages at the rate of a couple hundred an hour.

///
Skip

You are not alone in this.....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes Brian Whatcott wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:30:35 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:
///
One or more of the newsgroups in which I participate has one or more who
have been infected with the current MS worm, and it's overloading my mailbox
with 150k messages at the rate of a couple hundred an hour.

///
Skip

You are not alone in this.....

I'm having the same problem, except that I've forwarded all the mail
to pocketmail with a rolling mailbox. So I clear it out before I go
to bed and then again in the morning when I wake up and I don't have
to fire up the computer to do it (this is important because we don't
have electricity yet). I haven't yet decided whether or not to go to
another address or not.

grandma Rosalie

Investcom

Any boat is going to be a compromise. You will never find a used boat that
meets all of your requirements.

Check out a Kelly Peterson 44. It's a fabulous cruising boat that probably
meets most of your crucial requirements.

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
18 feet boat christos Boat Building 14 December 3rd 03 10:57 PM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 06:40 PM
Am I chasing my tail?? AP Boat Building 13 November 10th 03 01:56 PM
Many boats are not being used. Bill Kiene General 14 October 25th 03 05:17 PM