Default Re-power question ,, as to engine etc

32' full keel, heavy ( 11,500 lbs ) sailboat.

"candi" wrote in message
ups.com...

NE Sailboat wrote:
I may, or may not repower my boat. But, if I was to, where would one
start
in a search for a new small diesel to repower a sailboat?

Is there a trick to finding a deal? Boat shows? I seem to remember
someone
here mentioning boat show specials.

I am going to keep my eyes open for a small ( 16-20 hp ) diesel . If I
see
a good deal, snatch it up. Then take my time putting in in after taking
out
the old.

But, where to keep those eyes looking .. that is the question.
What size boat?

NE Sailboat wrote:

If a 16 cylinder Beta fits the same beds as the Atomic 4, it should be
perfect. A friend who did a lot of research and listened to my various bits
of advice is re-powering his boat with a Beta. The engines and installation
get a lot of individual attention that is usually lacking when you buy from
a big outfit like Yanmar. I suspect the basic design of the Yanmar might be
better but I'd put a Beta in my boat in a minute if I needed a new engine.

There are reasons to give up gas now that go beyond simply blowing yourself
up and the constant worry and care needed to keep you and your boat in one
piece. As more and more ethanol and other weird anti-pollution additives
are put in gas, it is rapidly becoming a pretty poor marine fuel. It breaks
down quickly, attacks components that weren't designed by car makers who saw
ethanol coming a decade or more ago.

About the only advantage to a gas engine is that you can have power almost
instantly without warming up. You can use the engine to get out of a jam
in an emergency without hurting it. Diesels need a few moments of warming
up. If you sail off a mooring or are sailing into a tight spot where you
might need to use the engine, you should warm it up for a few minutes just
in case. This is less of a pain though than all the bilge checking
necessary before starting a gas engine.

--
Roger Long

I liked my Yanmars (3GM30s) until a piston broke at 3 years...
therefore,out of warranty. However, I was told by the Yanmar dealer that in
cases like that where the engine had been well maintained (which it had)
Yanmar had been known to give some assistance.
I would have accepted it better if Yanmar had said sorry, out of date, but
the rep came up with all sorts of operator caused reasons for failure---use
of ether (not true, and dealer said evidence contradicted that supposition),
and operation under light load by delivery captain (not likely, knowing the
circumstances).
They are all good engines. But no one is perfect. Mistakes will be made.
What means the most is which company is most concerned with its reputation .
I've certainly gotten a bad taste from Yanmar.
Next time I'll look hard at Beta.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I've heard nothing but good things about the Yanmars, aside from cost, and
my experience with ours certainly bears them out. At 27 years of age it
feels like one of the sweetest running pieces of machinery I've been
associated with. I certainly trust it a lot more than the engine I used
to fly behind

It would be worth having some prop calculations performed. There is no
point in putting in a 3 cylinder Yanmar (or other engine) if your prop can
only use the horsepower of 2. The 3 cylinder will be a bit smoother but
the 2 cylinder, 2 blade, installation in our boat is plenty smooth.
Diesels, especially Yanmars which are a cool running engine, will give
more trouble running too lightly than at their rated continuous
horsepower. After you've paid for a cylinder you don't need, you then
have the reduced maintenance clearance and extra weight for life.

The power requirements of your Bristol should not be very different than
Strider and I have all the power I need. I was able to keep moving
straight into the wind during a squall that heeled us under bare poles to
our normal sailing angle. The sail cover was thundering and the rain
hitting my face stung. I don't think you need much more power than that
unless you plan to tow a barge.

--
Roger Long

NE Sailboat wrote:
Roger ,,, what size in hp is your Yanmar?

It's called a 20 hp but the rating standards have been changed since 1980 so
it would be called a 15 today. The Yanmar rep at a boat show told me that
it was the same displacement as the 2 cylinder they now call a 15 but I
haven't checked the numbers myself.

I wasn't at full throttle in that squall either.

--
Roger Long

Roger ,,, great info ,,this is why I lurk here. Sounds as if you have a
very sweet engine.

My AT4 is called a 30hp. But I have read numerous places that it never gave
more than 15hp or so.

On the repower front, a sailor I know has just repowered. He took out an
AT4. The AT4 probably needs some work. I am buying it from him for a
couple of bucks. I will send it out and get it rebuilt. This way I have
two engines!

Looks like I will be an AT4 man for some time. But if a good diesel comes
along,,, I will scoff it up.

============

NE Sailboat wrote:

Looks like I will be an AT4 man for some time.

If you don't blow yourself up

--
Roger Long

Gee Wiz Roger ... you would have to bring up that.

Oh, well ,, if you are out sailing and there is a big flash out around Cape
Elizabeth ,, it isn't a plane ...

"Roger Long" wrote in message
NE Sailboat wrote:

Looks like I will be an AT4 man for some time.

If you don't blow yourself up

--
Roger Long

engine replacement question Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 17 December 31st 05 11:55 PM
Question regarding Engine oil and Solvent... Melandre General 7 July 9th 05 03:55 AM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM