Andre Venter

Default ssb

Any ideas on the best ssb for a cruiser to buy?

Doug Dotson

I have found the ICOM M-710 to be bulletproof. It is one of the
few that can run full power in the digital modes like PACTOR-3
as well. Kind of a pain to tune for general hamming but fine if you
can program in your most used frequencies.

Doug, k2qt
s/v Callista

"Andre Venter" wrote in message
Any ideas on the best ssb for a cruiser to buy?

Larry W4CSC

M802 in the frequency tune mode with the cursor on the 100 Hz steps
tunes just like a ham rig....plus you can move the cursor to 1Khz
steps for quick tuning across the bands. Much better than 710 does.

73 Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:32:53 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

I have found the ICOM M-710 to be bulletproof. It is one of the
few that can run full power in the digital modes like PACTOR-3
as well. Kind of a pain to tune for general hamming but fine if you
can program in your most used frequencies.

Doug, k2qt
s/v Callista

"Andre Venter" wrote in message
Any ideas on the best ssb for a cruiser to buy?

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:56:33 +0200, "Andre Venter"
wrote:

Any ideas on the best ssb for a cruiser to buy?

Just installed Icom M802 in 41' ketch. Works great. I worked Russia
on the insulated backstay from Ashley Marina on the 20 meter ham band,
the furthest DX so far. Two buttons toggles marine only or wide open
so I can leave the radio transmitting in marine only channelized when
I'm not aboard to keep my captain out of jail. In the channelized
mode, it's as easy to operate as a CB. It accepts GPS data from
either our Garmin 185 or Raymarine RL70CRC Plus display instantly for
DSC and GMDSS emergencies. The AT140 tuner will tune the 55' backstay
all the way from 1.6 to 30 Mhz in about 4 seconds and remembers the
last few thousand settings so it doesn't need to tune again.

Have a look....

http://www.icomamerica.com/marine/ssb/icm802main.html

Over on rec.boats.electronics, you'll find my post about the negative
aspects I've notified Icom of about this radio...such as the tiny
white plastic cable connectors that are sure to corrode up. I removed
them from the AT-140 antenna tuner and soldered my control cable into
the main board of the tuner, removing the chinzy pigtail lead that
came with it. Be very careful crimping those tiny pins as there are
NO SPARES in the box, dammit Icom. No room for errors....(d^

It's still a great radio and tuner.....It will copy VLF all the way
down to 30 Khz. If you plug its audio output into your computer and
run one of several free software packages, you can get NAVTEX, WEFAX
weather maps, SITOR and all the HF digital modes (commercial and ham
radio) just fine with it.

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Leanne

Over on rec.boats.electronics, you'll find my post about the negative
aspects I've notified Icom of about this radio...such as the tiny
white plastic cable connectors that are sure to corrode up. I removed
them from the AT-140 antenna tuner and soldered my control cable into
the main board of the tuner, removing the chinzy pigtail lead that
came with it. Be very careful crimping those tiny pins as there are
NO SPARES in the box, dammit Icom. No room for errors....(d^

It would seem that they would have the cable plug into the board as on the AH-4.
Oh well I am not an injuneer, just have to fix the durned things. I have a had
an AH-4
mounted on the pushpit for over 5 years now and it still works great. I
originally had
a SGC tuner in the same spot and it lasted a year and a half.

It's still a great radio and tuner.....It will copy VLF all the way
down to 30 Khz. If you plug its audio output into your computer and
run one of several free software packages, you can get NAVTEX, WEFAX
weather maps, SITOR and all the HF digital modes (commercial and ham
radio) just fine with it.

I have been looking for a new radio that will be legal on the marine channels,
although
the old original 706 which we is for ham only, has been working great for over 6
years now.

Leanne
S/V Fundy

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:23:32 -0400, "Leanne" wrote:

It would seem that they would have the cable plug into the board as on the AH-4.
Oh well I am not an injuneer, just have to fix the durned things. I have a had
an AH-4
mounted on the pushpit for over 5 years now and it still works great. I
originally had
a SGC tuner in the same spot and it lasted a year and a half.

Wow...1.5 years on an SGC anything is an admirable MTBF for SGC!

It's still a great radio and tuner.....It will copy VLF all the way
down to 30 Khz. If you plug its audio output into your computer and
run one of several free software packages, you can get NAVTEX, WEFAX
weather maps, SITOR and all the HF digital modes (commercial and ham
radio) just fine with it.

I have been looking for a new radio that will be legal on the marine channels,
although
the old original 706 which we is for ham only, has been working great for over 6
years now.

This is the one. It's legal all the way and has another 50 watts.
150W at 100% duty cycle is claimed for it....allowing you to be a
full-time teletype station. Matter of fact it has FSK, CW filters in
it, included.....

Larry
S/V Lionheart

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Leanne

This is the one. It's legal all the way and has another 50 watts.
150W at 100% duty cycle is claimed for it....allowing you to be a
full-time teletype station. Matter of fact it has FSK, CW filters in
it, included.....

Larry,
If I do maybe we can work packet or pactor like in the old days.
I will refresh your memory if you send me a private email. Btw,
Do you still light up the night with the rig in the Mercedes sedan.
That was impressive with all the fire.

Leanne
S/V Fundy

Larry W4CSC

Done! Check your mailbox. Boy that brought back great memories...(c;

I still have the 1973 Mercedes 220D, even fully restored it and get
trophies at car shows with it. But, now that I've restored it, I'm
afraid someone will tear it all to hell if I put the ham station back
into it. It doesn't have anything worth stealing, now.

73, Larry now W4CSC

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:46:16 -0400, "Leanne" wrote:

This is the one. It's legal all the way and has another 50 watts.
150W at 100% duty cycle is claimed for it....allowing you to be a
full-time teletype station. Matter of fact it has FSK, CW filters in
it, included.....

Larry,
If I do maybe we can work packet or pactor like in the old days.
I will refresh your memory if you send me a private email. Btw,
Do you still light up the night with the rig in the Mercedes sedan.
That was impressive with all the fire.

Leanne
S/V Fundy

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

Any ideas on the best ssb for a cruiser to buy?

We've been using a SEA 235 with good success as both a ham and ssb
set. It works very well with Pactor II and III at 150 pep, but may
need an optional fan when used with digital modes that drive the radio
at full power for a long time. Woth a look if you are primarily an
ssb or sked type, DXer's will not be happy with it.

Cheers,

-- Tom