BoatBanter.com

-   -   Seeking best book for Sail trim (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/75771-seeking-best-book-sail-trim.html)

Capt. Rob November 11th 06 02:19 AM

Seeking best book for Sail trim

What is the absolute totally 100% without a doubt best book on sail
trim from basic to advanced?

Robert
35s5 "Heart of Gold"
NY

Wayne.B November 11th 06 03:27 AM

On 10 Nov 2006 18:19:44 -0800, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

What is the absolute totally 100% without a doubt best book on sail
trim from basic to advanced?

North Sails used to publish some very good materials in conjunction
with something they called "The Fast Course". They also had an
excellent video called "The Shape of Speed". I probably learned more
about sail trim and rig tuning fron those two sources that anywhere
else.

The video was particularly excellent because they would focus the
camera on the draft stripes of the sails while they made adjustments
so you could see the change in real time and learn to appreciate the
elements of a fast shape and what it looked like. Good stuff if you
can find some copies or the up to date equivalent.

Capt. JG November 11th 06 04:36 AM

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 10 Nov 2006 18:19:44 -0800, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

What is the absolute totally 100% without a doubt best book on sail
trim from basic to advanced?

North Sails used to publish some very good materials in conjunction
with something they called "The Fast Course". They also had an
excellent video called "The Shape of Speed". I probably learned more
about sail trim and rig tuning fron those two sources that anywhere
else.

The video was particularly excellent because they would focus the
camera on the draft stripes of the sails while they made adjustments
so you could see the change in real time and learn to appreciate the
elements of a fast shape and what it looked like. Good stuff if you
can find some copies or the up to date equivalent.

http://www.totalvid.com/Sailing-Vide...hape-of-Speed/

They might have others...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[email protected] November 11th 06 07:12 AM

Seeking best book for Sail trim

That DVD looks good but I like the $14.99 price here better.
http://www.boatfix.com/cart2/Scripts...Search=R329DVD

Capt. JG November 11th 06 07:29 AM

Seeking best book for Sail trim

I was thinking... the download for $3.99 + $0.25 for the DVD-R

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Glenn Ashmore November 11th 06 12:31 PM

Seeking best book for Sail trim

I see the download is good for 7 days. What happens after that?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Capt. Rob November 11th 06 01:20 PM

Seeking best book for Sail trim

Thanks for the replies. I actually managed to order off of Amazon for 8
dollars, but my wife still wants a book. Several e-mails to me
suggested Sail Power by Wallace Ross, but that appears to out of print
with no recent updates.
Any other good picks?

Robert & Suzanne
35s5
NY

DSK November 11th 06 01:36 PM

"Capt" Rob wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I actually managed to order off of Amazon for 8
dollars, but my wife still wants a book. Several e-mails to me
suggested Sail Power by Wallace Ross, but that appears to out of print
with no recent updates.
Any other good picks?

Large amount of info about basic aerodynamics, sail trim,
tuning, and sail construction. Very readable, too
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Sa...e=UTF8&s=books

The Stuart Walker book is also very good... covers an
incredible amount of info & different techniques... but not
as readable and IMHO is going to be confusing to try &
assimilate into practice.

DSK