Jack Rye

Default Diesel outboard?

Diesel Fuel
If you have ever compared diesel fuel and gasoline, you know that they are
different. They certainly smell different. Diesel fuel is heavier and
oilier. Diesel fuel evaporates much more slowly than gasoline -- its boiling
point is actually higher than the boiling point of water. You will often
hear diesel fuel referred to as "diesel oil" because it is so oily.
Diesel fuel evaporates more slowly because it is heavier. It contains more
carbon atoms in longer chains than gasoline does (gasoline is typically
C9H20, while diesel fuel is typically C14H30). It takes less refining to
create diesel fuel, which is why it is generally cheaper than gasoline.

Diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline. On average, 1 gallon
(3.8 L) of diesel fuel contains approximately 155x106 joules (147,000 BTU),
while 1 gallon of gasoline contains 132x106 joules (125,000 BTU). This,
combined with the improved efficiency of diesel engines, explains why diesel
engines get better mileage than equivalent gasoline engines.

Less evaporation and a higher boiling point makes diesel less flammable then
gasoline.

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone had experience with the diesel outboard motors? Yanmar
makes one as well as a couple of less well known companies. After
failing to find an affordable Prout we are looking at a couple of gas
outboard powered catamarans. We worry about the explosion factor of a
lot of gas aboard. Are we correct in thinking that diesel would
provide less chance of explosion?

Keith

Diesel is safer than gasoline, but gasoline is safe as long as you're
careful and keep everything in good condition. Also, I understand diesel
outboards are illegal in the U.S. due to environmental regs. I can't verify
this, but I'd look into it. Are there any for sale in the US? I've seen
some, and they are HEAVY suckers!

--

Keith
__

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone had experience with the diesel outboard motors? Yanmar
makes one as well as a couple of less well known companies. After
failing to find an affordable Prout we are looking at a couple of gas
outboard powered catamarans. We worry about the explosion factor of a
lot of gas aboard. Are we correct in thinking that diesel would
provide less chance of explosion?

matt colie

Bob,

If you were to get diesel outboards, you would have to worry about
sinking. As a ship's engineer by trade, I was fanscinated by the
possiblity. That was until I found out that the lightest is about 100kg.

If you take care of the hardware and keep it in an open area, there is
little risk with gasoline.

By the by - do not put a real @ddress on the usenet. The spambots will
grab it and feed on you forever.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Congenital Sailor

UK red diesel costs. Ken Baker General 0 May 25th 04 02:40 PM
WTB: Yanmar D36 diesel outboard Diesell General 0 March 10th 04 12:20 AM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 08:46 PM
Converting I/O to Outboard with Jack Plate Mile Sullivan General 5 September 19th 03 02:59 AM
diesel fuel in the exhaust frank news Cruising 1 August 13th 03 09:08 PM