BoatBanter.com

-   -   Weatherfax frequencies (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/75122-weatherfax-frequencies.html)

Jeff October 19th 06 03:23 PM

Weatherfax frequencies

Hi,
Anybody recommend a strong station for weatherfax in the Carebbean, for
mid north Atlantic and for the Gibralta area. Have a good reciever but
not a wonderful aerial.
If anyone can recommend a good aerial design thats not too horrendous
to build, that would also be great
jeff

krj October 19th 06 04:04 PM

Weatherfax frequencies

Jeff wrote:
Hi,
Anybody recommend a strong station for weatherfax in the Carebbean, for
mid north Atlantic and for the Gibralta area. Have a good reciever but
not a wonderful aerial.
If anyone can recommend a good aerial design thats not too horrendous
to build, that would also be great
jeff

If you are only using a receiver just hoist a long wire with a halyard.
krj

Wayne.B October 19th 06 07:14 PM

Weatherfax frequencies

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:04:27 -0400, krj
wrote:

If you are only using a receiver just hoist a long wire with a halyard.
krj

Or just use a small whip antenna with a pre-amp such as this one:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

Some station, frequency and scheduling information can be found he

http://www.yachtcom.co.uk/comms/Weather.htm

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/fax/hfmarsh.txt

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/fax/hfgulf.txt

Jeff October 20th 06 11:59 AM

Weatherfax frequencies

Wayne,
Many thanks for the reply, the sites look good.
Am I more likely to get more interferrence with a whip and preamp than
a long wire up the mast? which of these is the better option?

jeff

Wayne.B October 20th 06 02:05 PM

Weatherfax frequencies

On 20 Oct 2006 03:59:05 -0700, "Jeff"
wrote:

Am I more likely to get more interferrence with a whip and preamp than
a long wire up the mast? which of these is the better option?

It's really difficult to say. Since it is very easy, and almost no
cost to test a long wire up the mast, you could start with that and
see if you are happy with the way it performs.

I'm of the opinion that the preamp/preselector will improve the
performance of just about any antenna that you use.

Jeff October 21st 06 10:12 AM

Weatherfax frequencies

Thanks everyone
jeff