BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tampa Bay Radio Pirate Is Licensed Captain (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7503-re-tampa-bay-radio-pirate-licensed-captain.html)

Florida Keyz August 20th 03 08:54 PM

Tampa Bay Radio Pirate Is Licensed Captain

this is about cb radio? Does anyone listen to cb anymore?

Vito August 21st 03 03:59 PM

Tampa Bay Radio Pirate Is Licensed Captain *OT*

Florida Keyz wrote: this is about cb radio? ...

Actually no, it's about Contempt of Cop, a capital crime to some folks.

The problem began when folks who couldn't bother learning Morse began
using CBs to act like Hams. They bought high-power amplifiers which not
only "walked on" legit CBrs but blanked TV reception to "shoot DX". CBs
with binary PLL technology are, perforce, 64+ channel radios so
"Freebanders" moved into the band between CB and Ham 10 meter and began
interfering with local fire, police and rescue comm's knowing FCC lacks
the funding to catch more than a tiny %% of the 1000s doing it.

I'm not condoning the practice, but it seems to me that this one
"pirate" is being singled out more for his (her?) contempt of authority
than for his crimes.