BoatBanter.com

-   -   Engine overheat-yanmar 2qm15 (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7424-engine-overheat-yanmar-2qm15.html)

Mr. Catfish August 19th 03 12:49 PM

Engine overheat-yanmar 2qm15

From: RichH
Newsgroups: rec.boats.cruising
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:51:45 GMT
Subject: Engine overheat-yanmar 2qm15

I sued to 'pickle' all the time with muriatic (hydrochloric) acid ...
you can remove a fair amount of engine base metal if youre not careful.
Muriatic pickling does remain a valid process - just be very careful.

Mr. Catfish wrote:

Thanks, I will pickle the engine, I got a copy of Good old boat yesterday
and they have an article on cleaning out raw-water cooled engines using
muriatic acid. Same technique would work with marsolve.

George Pappas
S2 9.2A "EXO"

Yanmar advised not to use muriatic acid, just a mild cooling system cleaner.