Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
MLapla4120

Default Westsail32 vs. Ranger 33 , which would you like to own?

Hi,
I currently own a Westsail 32 and have been doing alot on it to improve it
and getting it ready for cruising. Recently, I read a kind of 'rave' article
about
the Ranger 33 in Latitude 38. That's a free sail mag here in the Bay Area of
San Francisco. Then, I went on www.yachtworld.com to see what the prices
were for these boats. I was amazed at how cheap they are. At least compared
to Westsails.
I know they are different types of boats, etc. The westsail is a heavy
displacement double-ender.
What I was thinking was getting out of the Westsail and into a Ranger
that was well-equipped, had a recent paint, and newer motor. The Westsail
I own needs new standing rigging, mast restepping with new paint and
reinforcement beam in the cabin. The engine is old.
What would I be giving up? I paid $37,000 for the westsail 32 and have
put in about $10,000 so far. The Ranger 33's I saw were going for about
16-22 grand, and some of them seem to be in good shape and well-maintained.
I would like to cruise and live-aboard in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Mark