Default Running, Steaming and Anchor lites

I hate the nav lights that came with my J/100. The days when they have
worked are less than 40% of the time I have tried to turn them on.

Does anyone have a fool proof plan for lights that work? Should I
replace mine with LEDs (I haven't much paid attention to the LED threads
so I am not sure they are legal or work). If my problem is bad wiring,
is there a wireless solution (or inexpensive one).

I plan to cruise next summer and take my daughter night sailing. But not
if I cannot fix these problems.

Harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

Quick question first - are we talking masthead lights , i.e port ,starboard
and all round in one unit up top ?
If so I'd reckon there are a couple of obvious areas to be looked at. First
up you should check the size of the wiring up the mast. If it is undersized
you will have severe voltage drop problems and this will contribute to the
lack of reliability. Secondly check all the terminals. It's quite possible
that connections are badly corroded and only occasionally making a contact
of any sort. You should have a connection box somewhere near the mast step.
If you rig up a test lamp and connect it to each connection in turn you will
at least know whether the problem is at deck level or up top. If it is the
connectors replace them with all brass units. Be careful cos amazingly
enough some brass connectors come with mild steel screws which of course is
a recipe for disaster.
Regards
tdw

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message
I hate the nav lights that came with my J/100. The days when they have
worked are less than 40% of the time I have tried to turn them on.

Does anyone have a fool proof plan for lights that work? Should I
replace mine with LEDs (I haven't much paid attention to the LED threads
so I am not sure they are legal or work). If my problem is bad wiring,
is there a wireless solution (or inexpensive one).

I plan to cruise next summer and take my daughter night sailing. But not
if I cannot fix these problems.

Harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

Harlan, do you mean that sometimes they come on and sometimes they
don't? Are you talking about bi-color bow lights, masthead tri-color,
steaming or anchor or what? if you are referring to ALL your nav
lights and if they are all doing the same thing, the problem is
probably somewhere closer to the panel. You will have to be more
specific about the nature of the problem.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

Harlan Lachman wrote:
I hate the nav lights that came with my J/100. The days when they have
worked are less than 40% of the time I have tried to turn them on.

Does anyone have a fool proof plan for lights that work? Should I
replace mine with LEDs (I haven't much paid attention to the LED threads
so I am not sure they are legal or work). If my problem is bad wiring,
is there a wireless solution (or inexpensive one).

I plan to cruise next summer and take my daughter night sailing. But not
if I cannot fix these problems.

Harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

In article .com,
"Peter" wrote:

Harlan, do you mean that sometimes they come on and sometimes they
don't? Are you talking about bi-color bow lights, masthead tri-color,
steaming or anchor or what? if you are referring to ALL your nav
lights and if they are all doing the same thing, the problem is
probably somewhere closer to the panel. You will have to be more
specific about the nature of the problem.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

Peter, sorry for the sloppy post.

Yes, the bi-color bow lights did not light up the other night. This is
at least the third time that has happened in the two years I have owned
my otherwise wonderful boat. On a previous time, stepping on the light
got it to turn on. Not last night.

Yes, the steaming light on the mast did not work all last year and most
of this year (although it did when checked by yard -- or at least they
said it did). Ironically, it worked the other night when it and the
stern lights were the only lights to work.

I have no anchor lite but I do have a panel switch for it.

I think the stern lights has worked each time.

So, I think safety and courtesy require me to find a permanent nav light
solution.

Is that clearer or am I still being sloppy?

TIA,

harlan

In article , tdw wrote:

Quick question first - are we talking masthead lights , i.e port ,starboard
and all round in one unit up top ?

That might be a better solution. But no! I have deck lites for port and
starboard and about a third the way up the mast a white steaming light.

I have a white light hanging on the rail on the stern.

No anchor lite but a switch on the panel.

[...]

These are all good suggestions.

Maybe I should fix what I got but I was wondering if there was a
replacement strategy which was sure to work.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

It might be a tad hard to rewire. Depending on age of boat, but presuming
she is a few years old and plastic then the wiring may well be embedded in
the fibreglass which makes rewiring a bit hard. I reckon it's a connection
issue. Nav lights are so damn simple that about the only things that can
stop them completely are blown lamps (bulbs , light globes , call 'em what
you will) and bad connections. If you have dirty connections in the light
itself then while replacing them will solve your problem a good clean,
freshly stripped ends, maybe even a bit of solder on the tips will do just
as well for a lot less money. On the other hand if the bad connection is at
the board or in a junction box then nothing will be solved by new lights. In
the light itself the bad connection may even be a corroded terminal in the
lampholder itself.
Cheers
Andrew
In article , tdw wrote:

[...]

You could just put simple battery powered dinghy lights up, but that
doesn't seem like a step forward.

Otherwise, you have to supply juice through wires, and since you have
a system that is probably 99% functional, it would seem to be
appropriate to track down the failing 1%. My guess is that the person
installing the lights forgot to finish the job and left the seal a bit
loose, allowing moisture to get in.

It seems odd to me that you went a season without even looking into
this; are they that inaccessible? And did they really ship a boat
without an anchor light?

Harlan Lachman wrote:
In article , tdw wrote:

[...]

If you're stepping or banging on something as important as navigation lights
was already a sign you needed to be replacing them!

Yes, the steaming light on the mast did not work all last year and most
of this year (although it did when checked by yard -- or at least they
said it did). Ironically, it worked the other night when it and the
stern lights were the only lights to work.

The question then is where is the problem? If you're having trouble with
all your lights, what else is acting up on the 12v circuits? If it's only
the lights and they're more than few years old then it could be as simple as
corrosion in the light assemblies. Replace them with ones that use new LED
elements. You could, if they're not too corroded, replace just the bulbs.
But you'd really have to find out WHY the lights have been flaking FIRST.
If it's worse than just corroded contacts in the lamp assemblies, like going
into the copper wire, then you've got more work ahead.

I have no anchor lite but I do have a panel switch for it.

IIRC, that same light up on the mast serves double-duty. Forward when
underway and 360 when at anchor.

So, I think safety and courtesy require me to find a permanent nav light
solution.

Yes, for everyone's sake. If you're lights are working then you're asking
for trouble at night.

I'd start by pulling apart one of the lamp assemblies and finding out what's
wrong with it. If you can get it working then wiggle the wire leading into
it and see if that causes the light to flicker. That and look closely at
the wire for signs of corrosion. Assuming that the lamp fixture is "past
it's prime" then I'd take it to a local chandlery and see what they've got
by way of replacements close to it's size. Paying particular attention to
the mounting holes. You don't want to go drilling new holes if it can be
avoided.

When looking for light replacements (just the bulbs) I've heard it's
sometimes a good deal cheaper to go to an auto parts store. They've got LED
bulbs to fit a variety of sizes. Take your existing bulb and see if they
can match it up.

-Bill Kearney

In article ,
"Bill Kearney" wrote:

On a previous time, stepping on the light
got it to turn on. Not last night.

If you're stepping or banging on something as important as navigation lights
was already a sign you needed to be replacing them!

I agree. The question is with what.

Yes, the steaming light on the mast did not work all last year and most
of this year (although it did when checked by yard -- or at least they
said it did). Ironically, it worked the other night when it and the
stern lights were the only lights to work.

The question then is where is the problem? If you're having trouble with
all your lights, what else is acting up on the 12v circuits?

Nothing.

If it's only
the lights and they're more than few years old then it could be as simple as
corrosion in the light assemblies.

The boat is less than two years old and is a freshwater boat.

Replace them with ones that use new LED
elements.

Any specific recommendations Bill?

You could, if they're not too corroded, replace just the bulbs.
But you'd really have to find out WHY the lights have been flaking FIRST.
If it's worse than just corroded contacts in the lamp assemblies, like going
into the copper wire, then you've got more work ahead.

I have no anchor lite but I do have a panel switch for it.

IIRC, that same light up on the mast serves double-duty. Forward when
underway and 360 when at anchor.

My steaming light is a front only light only. Is there a battery
operated LED I can hoist up at anchor?

[...]

Great idea Bill?

-Bill Kearney

Jeff wrote:

You could just put simple battery powered dinghy lights up, but that
doesn't seem like a step forward.

OTOH, it is the minimal preparedness I should have. Thanks for reminding
an old fart to use his brain.

Otherwise, you have to supply juice through wires, and since you have
a system that is probably 99% functional, it would seem to be
appropriate to track down the failing 1%. My guess is that the person
installing the lights forgot to finish the job and left the seal a bit
loose, allowing moisture to get in.

It seems odd to me that you went a season without even looking into
this; are they that inaccessible? And did they really ship a boat
without an anchor light?

Actually, my yard looked at the lights a number of times and was unable
to fix the problem. Every time they checked, things "apparently" worked
fine.

And, yes, the boat shipped without an anchor lite.

Harlan