BoatBanter.com

-   -   The Bahamas, Key West and back. (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7391-re-bahamas-key-west-back.html)

LaBomba182 August 4th 03 07:42 AM

The Bahamas, Key West and back.

Subject: The Bahamas, Key West and back.
From: Jere Lull

No, but did see the BBQ's "nut" in the sand 26' below the boat. Got it
back, too.

--
Jere Lull

Nice recovery. Before or after dinner was cooked?

Capt. Bill

Jere Lull August 5th 03 01:01 AM

From: Jere Lull

No, but did see the BBQ's "nut" in the sand 26' below the boat. Got it
back, too.

--
Jere Lull

Nice recovery. Before or after dinner was cooked?

Before; the BBQ wouldn't stay on the rail without it. That was my first
bareboat, before I realized that mounting a BBQ to a horizontal rail was
a fool's game; it's much better to put it on a stanchion.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

Ron Thornton August 5th 03 03:29 AM

The Bahamas, Key West and back.

You people make me sick. Here I am stuck on the Elizabeth River off the
Chesapeake Bay with water visibility of 6 inches and I got to get the
scuba gear out in the morning and jump into that muck cause I dropped my
$200 cordless drill overboard today. I hope you all choke.

With warmest regards (yea, right) Ron

S/V Tranquility August 5th 03 12:12 PM

The Bahamas, Key West and back.

"I got to get the
scuba gear out in the morning and jump into that muck cause I dropped my
$200 cordless drill overboard today."

If you just used the corded version, you wouldn't have to dive for it.....

Jack August 5th 03 02:04 PM

The Bahamas, Key West and back.

"Ron Thornton" wrote
You people make me sick. Here I am stuck on the Elizabeth River off the
Chesapeake Bay with water visibility of 6 inches and I got to get the
scuba gear out in the morning and jump into that muck cause I dropped my
$200 cordless drill overboard today. I hope you all choke.

Rick - They may very well - The water in the Bahamas "looks" clean, but that
clear water also contains all the sewage and grey water from the boats in
the anchorage.

Ron Thornton August 5th 03 02:29 PM

The Bahamas, Key West and back.

Tranquility, I tried that once but forgot to unplug it first. Zaaaap

LaBomba182 August 6th 03 03:14 AM

The Bahamas, Key West and back.

From: "Jack"

Rick - They may very well - The water in the Bahamas "looks" clean, but that
clear water also contains all the sewage and grey water from the boats in
the anchorage.

Two words, tidal current.

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 August 7th 03 02:50 PM

The Bahamas, Key West and back.

From: "Jack"

Capt. Bill,

With due respect, Tidal Current just moves the sewage from one place to
another.

As long as that place is a bit away from me I'm OK with it.

OK - Let's say you get up in the morning, make breakfast, use the head, wash
the dishes and then decide on a swim - Oh Oh - we have to wait 4 - 8 hours
for the Tidal Current to clean up the water, shoot, better do something else
this morning and swim after lunch (by which time it's time to use the head
again :( and so on.

I can't see trying to time my swims around other peoples bowel habits, but to
each his own.

We have enjoyed cruising the islands, but been very careful about when to
swim - especially if there are other boats around that are probably
discharging overboard.

Short of opening your mouth and swallowing a piece, I doubt the fecal count
gets high enough in your average Bahamian anchorage to worry about it.

Capt. Bill

Rosalie B. August 7th 03 11:37 PM

The Bahamas, Key West and back.

x-no-archive:yes

From: "Jack"

snip
Short of opening your mouth and swallowing a piece, I doubt the fecal count
gets high enough in your average Bahamian anchorage to worry about it.

I've tried to stay out of this, but I can't. We have LectraSans and
I'm sure the output of our boat is not such that anyone would have any
health concerns about it.

There are places in the Bahamas that I would not want to swim in
and/or would use a holding tank in place of discharging.

I wouldn't want to swim in Nassau harbour. The harbour at Highborne
Cay and the one at Chub Cay are both very stagnant. Otherwise most of
the places that we've been we have had to be very careful anchoring
and swimming lest we be carried away from the boat by the current, and
there are some harbours where we have to be very careful to take the
current into account when docking or undocking.

grandma Rosalie

LaBomba182 August 8th 03 12:06 AM

The Bahamas, Key West and back.

From: Rosalie B.

From: "Jack"

snip
Short of opening your mouth and swallowing a piece, I doubt the fecal count
gets high enough in your average Bahamian anchorage to worry about it.

I've tried to stay out of this, but I can't. We have LectraSans and
I'm sure the output of our boat is not such that anyone would have any
health concerns about it.

There are places in the Bahamas that I would not want to swim in
and/or would use a holding tank in place of discharging.

I wouldn't want to swim in Nassau harbour. The harbour at Highborne
Cay and the one at Chub Cay are both very stagnant. Otherwise most of
the places that we've been we have had to be very careful anchoring
and swimming lest we be carried away from the boat by the current, and
there are some harbours where we have to be very careful to take the
current into account when docking or undocking.

grandma Rosalie

I agree with you on the harbours you mention. But of course they would not fit
into the definition of an average Bahamian anchorage.

And I, as apparently have you, have found the tidal currents in most anchorages
to be more than strong enough to "flush" the area.

Capt. Bill