BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat Cover (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7346-boat-cover.html)

July 28th 03 01:16 AM

Boat Cover

This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway!

Currently when our boat is on the trailer in the back yard, I cover the
mast and furled headsail with a long rectangular piece of material and =
the
rest of the boat with a fitted cover that just goes to the rub rail:
http://cox-internet.com/lorendi/cover1.jpg. This arrangement seems
inefficient to me and I think I'd like to have one cover that does all,
making one long tent. Does anyone have one cover now for a boat on a
trailer AND mast? If so, could they provide pictures?

My concerns a

(a) the overall weight of the cover, we're planning to use roughly 17 =
yards
of 60" wide sunbrella, and=20

(b) the unusual stress on the spreaders caused by the hanging sunbrella.

I'm beginning to think our current cover arrangement may be just as well.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Loren

Margaret & Loren Block Georgetown, TX
C22 #14903 "Perfect Harmony"

Brent Benson July 29th 03 01:25 AM

Boat Cover

Covering both the mast and hull makes sense because the elevated mast
produces a water-shedding tent shape. This avoids pooling, leaf
accumulation, etc. Yes, you do need to support the spreaders, or provide
support over the spreaders. For long term storage, it is good to remove the
spreaders, esp if snow may pile up [though not in TX].

Top Gun is a better fabric for yard storage, largely because it has much
lower stretch than Sunbrella.

Brent
www.bensonsails.com

Newsgroups: rec.boats.cruising