Default lifelines with out PVC coating?

I've heard or seen something somewhere about using some of the new
super low stretch rope for lifelines.
Has anyone heard about that idea?

-- Roger Long

Yup. Steve Dashew was using it for his last sailboats. 1/4" 12
strand Spectra is lots stronger than 3/16" s.s. Not as chafe/damage
resistant but actually lighter and cheaper if you buy it from the
right place. Not approved for racing sailboats generally.

Evan Gatehouse

"Evan Gatehouse2" wrote in message
I've heard or seen something somewhere about using some of the new
super low stretch rope for lifelines.
Has anyone heard about that idea?

-- Roger Long

Yup. Steve Dashew was using it for his last sailboats. 1/4" 12 strand
Spectra is lots stronger than 3/16" s.s. Not as chafe/damage resistant
but actually lighter and cheaper if you buy it from the right place. Not
approved for racing sailboats generally.

Evan Gatehouse

I would, but I like the look of plain wire.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:18:29 -0700, "Capt. JG" wrote:

"Evan Gatehouse2" wrote in message

I've heard or seen something somewhere about using some of the new
super low stretch rope for lifelines.
Has anyone heard about that idea?

-- Roger Long

Yup. Steve Dashew was using it for his last sailboats. 1/4" 12 strand
Spectra is lots stronger than 3/16" s.s. Not as chafe/damage resistant
but actually lighter and cheaper if you buy it from the right place. Not
approved for racing sailboats generally.

Evan Gatehouse

I would, but I like the look of plain wire.

Many trans-oceanic race equipment rules now specify that stainless lifelines
MUST be uncoated. As far as synthetic line as a replacement? The people selling
it for that use say it requires replacement every three years. That eliminates
the cost savings pretty quickly. And who wants to add that to their maintenance
CWM

The PO of my boat stripped the plastic off some new plastic coated
lifelines. It looks great and has been on the boat 7 or 8 years now.

I think he melted it off!

Gary

lifelines with out PVC coating? Capt. JG Cruising 24 August 24th 06 10:38 PM
Coating a centreboard with fiberglass resin... Melandre General 2 July 6th 06 09:53 AM
Prop Coating Sailaway Boat Building 10 February 3rd 06 01:34 PM
Barrier Coating a fiberglass hull.... Courtney Thomas Boat Building 7 June 14th 04 01:34 AM
Lifelines, slack or taught Parallax Cruising 4 March 2nd 04 03:31 PM