BoatBanter.com

-   -   O/B Steering problem (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/72419-o-b-steering-problem.html)

D&LBusch August 3rd 06 04:18 AM

O/B Steering problem

I have a 70 HP Yamaha OB on my Carolina Skiff. I have hydraulic steering
from the center console. The steering mechanism is frozen. The wheel
begins to turn, but since the rod and hydraulics that the motor move with
are stuck I don't want to force it. Everything looks fine. The boat has been
sitting for a few months. Anybody have any ideas on how to free up the
mechanism? Thanks in advance - David

Larry August 6th 06 04:23 AM

O/B Steering problem

"D&LBusch" wrote in news:bWdAg.6754$oa1.1935
@news02.roc.ny:

Anybody have any ideas on how to free up the
mechanism?

I fixed one on a Yamaha 40 with a hammer...

Had someone turn the wheel quite hard so the plunger would come OUT on it
while I beat on the piston in front of the motor with a ball peen hammer's
flat end. Third stroke it just let go the salt corrosion and moved easily
out to the stop....where I cleaned off the exposed rod with emory cloth and
greased the hell out of it before moving it back in as far as it would go.

Works great now.....especially when I'm riding around in HIS boat!....(c;

--
Sea Ray Boats gave my email to Channel Blade to spam me.
phone 865-522-4181