BoatBanter.com

-   -   New York July 4 Fireworks (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/70990-new-york-july-4-fireworks.html)

Easynews June 23rd 06 03:43 AM

New York July 4 Fireworks

Planning to spend the night on the East River or NY Harbor to watch the
fireworks. Any one that can offer advice as to good spots to anchor and
enjoy the show, would be appreciated.
Also anyone that has done it in previous years, I'd be interested to hear
how rough it gets, as probably there will be a miriad of boats and quite a
few with more than enough drinks in them.

Thanks
AJ

Wayne.B June 23rd 06 04:29 AM

New York July 4 Fireworks

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:43:46 GMT, "Easynews"
wrote:

Planning to spend the night on the East River or NY Harbor to watch the
fireworks. Any one that can offer advice as to good spots to anchor and
enjoy the show, would be appreciated.
Also anyone that has done it in previous years, I'd be interested to hear
how rough it gets, as probably there will be a miriad of boats and quite a
few with more than enough drinks in them.

The East River is not a place that you want to anchor at any time -
the water is deep, and the currents are strong - not to mention the
heavy traffic and tide rips.

Best bet is the shallows around Ellis Island and the Statue of
Liberty. It is still a rocky place to spend the night but the holding
is reasonably good and you are out of the big ship traffic.

Gogarty June 23rd 06 02:11 PM

New York July 4 Fireworks

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Planning to spend the night on the East River or NY Harbor to watch the
fireworks. Any one that can offer advice as to good spots to anchor and
enjoy the show, would be appreciated.
Also anyone that has done it in previous years, I'd be interested to hear
how rough it gets, as probably there will be a miriad of boats and quite a
few with more than enough drinks in them.

The East River is not a place that you want to anchor at any time -
the water is deep, and the currents are strong - not to mention the
heavy traffic and tide rips.

Best bet is the shallows around Ellis Island and the Statue of
Liberty. It is still a rocky place to spend the night but the holding
is reasonably good and you are out of the big ship traffic.

The East River at the tip of Roosevelt Island is the best place to watch but
it is a dangerous madhouse. It is deep and the currents are very strong and
there are zillions of people in boats who have not the remotest idea of what
they are doing. Police and Coast Guard presence is heavy and active. Ellis
Island/Liberty Island shallows a good place to anchor depending on where you
are coming from but remote from the display. For over night anchoring,
consider Hallet's Cove at the top end of Roosevelt Island (consult your
chart). You can anchor securely and comfortably in fourteen feet or so in a
backwater little affected by the tides and currents then move into viewing
position when ready. We knew one man who anchored there for three months.