BoatBanter.com

-   -   Souther Trades Yacht Sales (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/70672-souther-trades-yacht-sales.html)

AMPowers June 13th 06 01:35 PM

Souther Trades Yacht Sales

Hey folks,

Does anyone have any experience with Souther Trades Yacht Sales out of
the British Virgin Islands? I'm interested in purchasing a vessel
through them and would appreciate any recommendations about either this
particular company or issues regarding buying a boat from this country.

Thanks,

Robb

Jere Lull June 14th 06 08:51 AM

Souther Trades Yacht Sales

In article ,
AMPowers wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Souther Trades Yacht Sales out
of the British Virgin Islands? I'm interested in purchasing a vessel
through them and would appreciate any recommendations about either
this particular company or issues regarding buying a boat from this
country.

Check on the company name as it looks like you have a typo, and the
only company I know with a similar name is North/South. There used to
be Tradewinds, but they went belly up.

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I've gone down, so I might be
out of date.

--
Jere Lull

Paul Cassel June 14th 06 01:13 PM

Souther Trades Yacht Sales

AMPowers wrote:
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any experience with Souther Trades Yacht Sales out of
the British Virgin Islands? I'm interested in purchasing a vessel
through them and would appreciate any recommendations about either this
particular company or issues regarding buying a boat from this country.

Really, the broker isn't that much of a factor in boat sales so your
question (which I can't answer) isn't terribly important, IMO - in a buy
/ not buy decision. What you should be asking about is if there are
reliable surveyors local to there and then who they are.

-paul

Chubasco June 16th 06 07:01 AM

Souther Trades Yacht Sales

It is actually Southern Trades Yacht Sales. I have been in their office
which is in downtown Road Town, Tortola, BVI close to the harbor. I dealt
with Bob Carson in their office; however at the time, he didn't have much
for us to look at, and we ended up buying a catamaran from a charter company
in Soper's Hole. We are again looking at several yachts he is listing, and
will likely meet with him again later next month. I have no problem with
their operation, and I agree that the broker isn't that much of a factor.
The survey is of utmost importance, and I had an excellent experience with
the surveyor I hired -- Geoff Williams of West Indies Marine Surveyors Ltd.
http://www.westindiesmarinesurveyors.com/.

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
. ..

Mark R. June 16th 06 08:08 PM

Souther Trades Yacht Sales

Chubasco wrote:
The survey is of utmost importance, and I had an excellent experience with
the surveyor I hired -- Geoff Williams of West Indies Marine Surveyors Ltd.
http://www.westindiesmarinesurveyors.com/.

I would second what Chubasco says about Geoff Williams. Two years ago
I went there to check out a 50' Beneteau which was listed by Southern
Trades. I contacted Geoff about setting up a survey in advance. He
told me via email that if I would tell him which boats I was looking
at, he could help steer me in a direction because he probably has
inspected the boat before and would be able to give an accurate
representation.

At the time he offered a service, I think it was for $200, where he
would do a "drive by" type inspection and advise you if it was worth
your time to fly down there for a closer inpection.

If you go to this link http://www.goreads.com/search_for_boat.htm , the
top five pictures are from Tortola. The two colorful pics of what
looks like apartments, is actually the motel which is right there in
the marina and boat yard. I forgot the name of the motel, but it was
very nice and I would recommend it. If anyone is interested I will dig
around and find the name.

-Mark Read
"Calpurnia"