BoatBanter.com

-   -   Rust stain (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/69374-rust-stain.html)

[email protected] May 3rd 06 08:51 PM

Rust stain

Ladies and Gents

I wonder if I could tap the combined wisdom of this group to help me
deal with the results of my stupidity.

I have a nice rust stain in my gelcoat, in the cockpit as a result of
leaving a pair of pliers out in the rain for a week. What would be the
best way to remove the stain without damaging the gelcoat?

I do know that the sun will eventually bleach it our completely but it
would be nice to get rid of it sooner

Many thanks in advance

Matt

SV Mischief
PY 26, #129
Montreal

snor May 3rd 06 10:22 PM

Rust stain

Matt

Go to your local grocery store and buy some Barkeepers Friend. It
contains Oxalic Acid. It comes in a container that looks like Comet
cleaner but is gold in color. Dampen the area and sprinkle some on. Let
it set for a little while then scrub the area. You might have to do this
2 times depending on how bad the spot is. The rust will disappear. I
will never be without a can or two of Bar Keepers Friend. Do a Google
search and you can read all about it.

Ron