BoatBanter.com

-   -   Spring tides (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/69009-spring-tides.html)

Gordon April 23rd 06 04:44 PM

Spring tides

Why are large tide changes called spring tides?

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Jack Dale April 23rd 06 06:33 PM

Spring tides

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:44:59 -0700, "Gordon"
wrote:

Why are large tide changes called spring tides?

Check out:

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/english...html#viveseaux

"spring tides from the Old English word "springan" which means to well
up."

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
ISPA Instructor Evaluator
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

Richard J Kinch April 24th 06 05:42 AM

Spring tides

Gordon writes:

And what is syzygy?

No dictionary?

No Google?

Never played Zork?

An eclipse of knowledge!

Jack Dale April 24th 06 05:54 AM

Spring tides

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:44:01 -0700, "Gordon"
wrote:

And what is syzygy? and quadrature with regards to tides?

http://www.bartleby.com/61/57/S0975700.html

http://www.bartleby.com/61/77/Q0007700.html

.. .

Thomas Wentworth April 27th 06 03:57 PM

Spring tides

Are you in the "Cash Cab" ????

Gordon April 27th 06 04:21 PM

Spring tides

Zoom
I have to admit that went right over my head!

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Are you in the "Cash Cab" ????