BoatBanter.com

-   -   Hi-tech stuffing box material (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/68361-hi-tech-stuffing-box-material.html)

R.W. Behan April 5th 06 09:08 PM

Hi-tech stuffing box material

Not too long ago we had a thread about a new material to use in conventional
stuffing boxes, instead of the traditional wax-impregnated flax. I recall
it was made and marketed by GoreTex, but don't recall the product name. Can
anyone help, please?

Dick Behan
M/V Annie

Jim April 5th 06 10:43 PM

R.W. Behan wrote:

Not too long ago we had a thread about a new material to use in conventional
stuffing boxes, instead of the traditional wax-impregnated flax. I recall
it was made and marketed by GoreTex, but don't recall the product name. Can
anyone help, please?

Dick Behan
M/V Annie

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products...g.html#measure

I want to try this stuff, if i ever get around to ordering it.

R.W. Behan April 6th 06 01:19 AM

Hi-tech stuffing box material

Hey, Jim, thanks. That's the stuff, all right. It's too late for me: I
installed a Packless Shaft Seal a couple of years ago, and it's working
fine. But it IS complicated, and if I'd known about this stuff, I would
have gone that route instead. A friend of mine, though, was contemplating a
PSS, and I suggested this material--but couldn't remember the name. We both
thank you, sir.

Dick

"Jim" wrote in message
link.net...

Alan Gomes April 6th 06 01:45 AM

Hi-tech stuffing box material

"Jim" wrote in message
link.net...
R.W. Behan wrote:

Not too long ago we had a thread about a new material to use in
conventional stuffing boxes, instead of the traditional wax-impregnated
flax. I recall it was made and marketed by GoreTex, but don't recall the
product name. Can anyone help, please?

Dick Behan
M/V Annie

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products...g.html#measure

I want to try this stuff, if i ever get around to ordering it.

I've been using it for about a year and a half. Great stuff.
--Alan Gomes

Jere Lull April 7th 06 06:27 AM

Hi-tech stuffing box material

In article .net,
Jim wrote:

R.W. Behan wrote:

Not too long ago we had a thread about a new material to use in
conventional
stuffing boxes, instead of the traditional wax-impregnated flax. I recall
it was made and marketed by GoreTex, but don't recall the product name.
Can
anyone help, please?

Dick Behan
M/V Annie

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products...g.html#measure

I want to try this stuff, if i ever get around to ordering it.

The yard used something like that when we got the new motor & shaft.
Haven't had to change it out yet, and it's been 13 seasons, 1200 hours.

--
Jere Lull

Keith April 8th 06 02:02 PM

Hi-tech stuffing box material

Five years using now.... after initial tightening, only had to adjust
once.... last year. Tightened maybe 1/8 turn. Great stuff!

rhys May 2nd 06 06:22 AM

Hi-tech stuffing box material

On 8 Apr 2006 06:02:15 -0700, "Keith"
wrote:

Five years using now.... after initial tightening, only had to adjust
once.... last year. Tightened maybe 1/8 turn. Great stuff!

It's some kind of fibre impregnated with Teflon for me. I have the
original bronze stuffing box, and I inspected it just before launch as
I had a folding prop put on and I was concerned about torque.

The stuff looks like the day it went it. I still have a foot left in a
locker somewhere.

R.