just me

Default bahamas questions

Plan to cross to the Bahamas next week. Any recommendations for preferred
charts and guides?

Also, I'm going to rent a sat phone. How does globalstar work there or is
Irridium better?

I plan to check in at the West End and then head for the Abacos and work
down to Long Island.

Rosalie B.

"just me" wrote:

Plan to cross to the Bahamas next week. Any recommendations for preferred
charts and guides?

Also, I'm going to rent a sat phone. How does globalstar work there or is
Irridium better?

I plan to check in at the West End and then head for the Abacos and work
down to Long Island.

Last I heard, Old Bahama Bay marina at West End had not recovered from
Wilma. Also I've heard that the shoals etc have been moved around so
much that the charts are no longer adequate. The Explorer charts are
the best ones to have. I like Matt Wilson's Bahamas Guide and also
Steve P.'s guide to the Exumas - I'm assuming his guide to the Abacos
is also good.

grandma Rosalie
Ed

I agree on all counts. Explorer charts (you will need all three books
for a trip of this size) are the only way to go and the Steve P guides
are the best. Go to http://www.explorercharts.com after you buy the
charts and print out the latest updates and make your changes on the
charts.

You can call the US office of Old Bahama Bay at 954-524-3007. They
will tell you the truth on their marina. Even year before last when
they were washed over, they still allowed people to come in and check
into customs. You could not get water, power or food but customs had
their shack powered by a generator with AC. (The gov't has it's
priorities)

Rosalie B. wrote:
"just me" wrote:

Plan to cross to the Bahamas next week. Any recommendations for preferred
charts and guides?

Also, I'm going to rent a sat phone. How does globalstar work there or is
Irridium better?

I plan to check in at the West End and then head for the Abacos and work
down to Long Island.

Last I heard, Old Bahama Bay marina at West End had not recovered from
Wilma. Also I've heard that the shoals etc have been moved around so
much that the charts are no longer adequate. The Explorer charts are
the best ones to have. I like Matt Wilson's Bahamas Guide and also
Steve P.'s guide to the Exumas - I'm assuming his guide to the Abacos
is also good.

grandma Rosalie

SeaKnight-Camano 31

Highly recommend Steve Dodge's Guide to the Abacos-updated yearly. Have
heard multiple reports that Old Bahama Bay is in fine shape.

Grant's Tomb Questions... RG General 3 February 23rd 06 02:42 AM
Grant's Tomb Questions... Doug Kanter General 1 February 22nd 06 06:23 PM
Bahamas CMAP Chart Plotter Chip Wayne.B General 3 January 27th 06 06:47 AM
MacGregor 25 & Bahamas Cruising JR Lomas Cruising 15 December 7th 05 04:50 PM
Water generator or Solar power questions Len Cruising 0 October 20th 05 10:41 PM