Gordon

Default Avon Redcrest

Looking at used. I think this is an inflatable without a keel. Do they
really row that bad?
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Da Kine

I remember that name but it seems like an old name. Old Avons are good
and the new ones are thin and crappy like all the rest out there - to
start with - next the row part. No inflatable rows well and I think bad
to worse that the bigger the harder to row and keels don't have much to
do with it. I have a hard bottom now and it still stinks (10'2"). I'm
lazy enough to be sure that I have a 8 hp that I use mostly and for the
few crap outs I have an old 3.0 something or other. (one of those air
cooled, sure to die on me someday kicker) If you go inflatable, be sure
to add some $$ for at least a small kicker unless you're in bays all
the time and close to shore.

Nigel

"Gordon" wrote in message
Looking at used. I think this is an inflatable without a keel. Do they
really row that bad?

They made/make a Redstart and a RedCrest, one was is slightly bigger , both
flat bottomed, no keel.. A good quality dingy, but yes, they really do row
that badly....

I loved my Redcrest. Spent several years inflated year round. Was going
strong at 20+ yrs when it was stolen. Great boat. Even better with the
floorboards. It rowed better than I swam so I thought well of it.

Mark

On year 25 now. Seams and rubstrake are cracking and look horrible,
but it still holds air. It paddles around OK in flat water for short
trips; wood floorboards really help. Motor mount (old style metal
frame with wood plate) is half rusted away, but a 2.5hp kicker pushes
it around acceptably in light seas. I think it's a classic, one of
the few items the Brits do right. If it holds air overnight and the
dude isn't asking an arm and a leg for it, buy it.

Best thing about it is it packs small and assembles easily. Got a 12'
hardtail with an 18hp kicker for major ferrying, but man, it's heavy,
and a pain to assemble, especially mounting the motor when anchored.
And the motor eats a lot of gasoline.