BoatBanter.com

-   -   GPS cable? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/66326-gps-cable.html)

Roger Long February 8th 06 11:16 PM

GPS cable?

I just got some do-it-yourself plugs for my Garmin GPS. I need to run
a 12 foot cable without splices so I can thread it through some small
holes and difficult to access spaces. The longest premade cable you
can buy seems to be 8 feet.

I thought it would be a simple matter to find some black, four (or
more) conductor cable with stranded wire but it isn't.

Does anyone know a source or type specification for the proper cable
to use?

--

Roger Long

Leanne February 9th 06 02:17 AM

GPS cable?

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I just got some do-it-yourself plugs for my Garmin GPS. I need to run
a 12 foot cable without splices so I can thread it through some small
holes and difficult to access spaces. The longest premade cable you
can buy seems to be 8 feet.

I thought it would be a simple matter to find some black, four (or
more) conductor cable with stranded wire but it isn't.

Does anyone know a source or type specification for the proper cable
to use?

I would try cat 5 cable, but of course, what do I know.

Leanne
s/v Fundy
Videbat esse notitia bona id temporis
It seemed to be a good idea at the time

Roger Long February 9th 06 03:02 AM

GPS cable?

I was just rummaging around in my computer elephant's graveyard and
realized that USB cables have four connectors, are black, and will fit
the Pfrank plug. I'll buy a 12 footer and cut the ends off.

I'd still like to hear if there is a cheaper way.

--

Roger Long

Wayne.B February 9th 06 03:28 AM

GPS cable?

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 03:02:43 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I was just rummaging around in my computer elephant's graveyard and
realized that USB cables have four connectors, are black, and will fit
the Pfrank plug. I'll buy a 12 footer and cut the ends off.

I'd still like to hear if there is a cheaper way.

Have you checked with West Marine? I'd be surprised if they don't
have some small 4 conductor cable.

Dennis Pogson February 9th 06 09:29 AM

GPS cable?

Roger Long wrote:
I just got some do-it-yourself plugs for my Garmin GPS. I need to run
a 12 foot cable without splices so I can thread it through some small
holes and difficult to access spaces. The longest premade cable you
can buy seems to be 8 feet.

I thought it would be a simple matter to find some black, four (or
more) conductor cable with stranded wire but it isn't.

Does anyone know a source or type specification for the proper cable
to use?

In the US, Radio Shack, in the UK, Maplin Electronics. It's only data cable
(telephone cable).

Jeff February 9th 06 01:31 PM

GPS cable?

Roger Long wrote:
I was just rummaging around in my computer elephant's graveyard and
realized that USB cables have four connectors, are black, and will fit
the Pfrank plug. I'll buy a 12 footer and cut the ends off.

I'd still like to hear if there is a cheaper way.

You really have to tell which GPS and what signals you want to carry.
For instance, an antennae wire is just a bit different from a power
cord. My older GPS needs power and passes basic NMEA at low speed.
For this, basic phone wire or cat 3/5 should be enough.

Dave February 9th 06 05:49 PM

GPS cable?

"Roger Long" wrote in news:BZuGf.116$Zl1.80
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

I just got some do-it-yourself plugs for my Garmin GPS. I need to run
a 12 foot cable without splices so I can thread it through some small
holes and difficult to access spaces. The longest premade cable you
can buy seems to be 8 feet.

I thought it would be a simple matter to find some black, four (or
more) conductor cable with stranded wire but it isn't.

Does anyone know a source or type specification for the proper cable
to use?

Home Depot sells multi wire cable by the foot.