BoatBanter.com

-   -   Wooden Mast Question (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/66064-wooden-mast-question.html)

[email protected] February 3rd 06 03:58 AM

Wooden Mast Question

Anyone have any thoughts on shaving say 10-12 mm of material off a wooden
mast and laminating it with carbon fiber and epoxy. ??

Carzy_Carl

Capt. JG February 3rd 06 04:07 AM

Wooden Mast Question

" none wrote in message
Anyone have any thoughts on shaving say 10-12 mm of material off a wooden
mast and laminating it with carbon fiber and epoxy. ??

Carzy_Carl

Seems like a lot of work?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Evan Gatehouse February 3rd 06 04:55 AM

Wooden Mast Question

wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on shaving say 10-12 mm of material off a wooden
mast and laminating it with carbon fiber and epoxy. ??

Carzy_Carl

It's a bad idea. Carbon fiber is sooo much stiffer than wood that it
will only work if there is enough CF to take the entire load.
Otherwise the carbon fails first, then the weaker wood mast fails.

Evan Gatehouse

Gary February 3rd 06 05:37 AM

Wooden Mast Question

wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on shaving say 10-12 mm of material off a wooden
mast and laminating it with carbon fiber and epoxy. ??

Carzy_Carl

That could create a potential for rot inside the carbon fiber laminate.
I am just having all the fiberglass patches removed from a boom and
wood scarfs put in because it worried me.

Why do you want to change it?

Gaz

Roger Long February 3rd 06 11:02 AM

Wooden Mast Question

Beat me to it Evan. They lost some rudders on round the world racers
a few years back because they didn't understand this principle.

You could actually weaken the mast by adding carbon fiber to it
without taking any wood off. If the CF isn't strong enough to take
the entire load, in which case you wouldn't need the wood, it will
break. This will concentrate all the bending stress in the wood at
the point of the CF crack and the mast will nip right off. This would
be most likely in an unstayed mast that functions primarily in bending
but I wouldn't fool with the fiber in a stayed mast either.

--

Roger Long

[email protected] February 4th 06 05:10 AM

Wooden Mast Question

Gary wrote in

wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on shaving say 10-12 mm of material off a
wooden mast and laminating it with carbon fiber and epoxy. ??

Carzy_Carl

That could create a potential for rot inside the carbon fiber
laminate.
I am just having all the fiberglass patches removed from a boom and
wood scarfs put in because it worried me.

Why do you want to change it?

Gaz

Well I am not sure as to the condition of the entire mast; that is inside
out top to bottom and wanted to add some certainty. It looks and pokes
good, but it is on a 36+ year old Finnsailer.

Thanks for the input, I'll look at other options!

Crazy_Carl