BoatBanter.com

-   -   Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/65667-mayday-off-coast-mexico-rescued-catamaran.html)

News f2s January 28th 06 11:32 AM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

I would think that some boat interiors would become
uninhabitable if
the boat were dismasted. This happened in the Fastnet Race, and
I'm
sure it's happened other times.

The boat becomes very much more stable, giving it an extremely
rapid natural rocking motion. If this is sparked off by waves, the
boat is all but untenable.

The problem is that in those conditions a liferaft also rolls
viciously, and is likely to be overturned from time to time. Three
of us experienced that liferaft motion in a wind over tide, 2
metre breaking waves, just off Appledore in the Bristol Channel.

It was a training exercise that went wrong. The lifeboat call-out
was delayed. We were blown downwind into the race. Like being in a
washing machine. Lots of minor injuries, one broken arm. Never
again. We were stuck in this rotating hell for about 15 minutes,
then when the lifeboat arrived it took a further 20 minutes to get
us all aboard. By that time all of us were cripplingly seasick -
and we were experienced sailors, used to offshore racing, who
prided ourselves on our strong stomachs. Yuck.

JimB

Capt. JG January 28th 06 06:49 PM

"News f2s" wrote in message

[...]

I think you mean "because more *unstable*" right? I'm not sure what would
have been worse... a washing machine with sharp objects or just an empty
washing machine with soft sides. I think I'd like to avoid both!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

News f2s January 29th 06 11:18 AM

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

The boat becomes very much more stable, giving it an extremely
rapid natural rocking motion. If this is sparked off by waves,
the boat is all but untenable.

I think you mean "because more *unstable*" right? I'm not sure
what would have been worse... a washing machine with sharp
objects or just an empty washing machine with soft sides. I
think I'd like to avoid both!

No, I meant stable! Take the top weight of the mast off, and the
centre of gravity of the boat drops down, so the righting moment
goes up.

Add to that the fact that the mast's inertia has gone, and the
boat now reacts very much more quickly to any disturbance - then
rolls back and forth, one cycle every couple of seconds.

JimB

Capt. JG January 29th 06 06:09 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

Nope. It doesn't work like that. You would think it would, but it doesn't.
We had a dismasting on the bay (one of my students). It was caused by a
hairline crack. They were pounding up to the Golden Gate area from Alcatraz
on a typical 20-25 knot day in 3-4 foot chop. After the mast came down, the
boat was almost uncontrollable as it drifted back down hill. Finally, after
they cut away the mast, they were able to motor back to the slip, and
according to the crew who we interviewed, it was the worst part of the trip.
The boat was so unstable a couple of people got sea sick.

You said it yourself in your final paragraph... that is the definition of
instability.

In addition, if the conditions are bad enough to roll a boat, the mast would
act as a break when it goes into the water. This would actually slow the
roll effect.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Wayne.B January 30th 06 03:55 AM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:18:35 -0000, "News f2s"
wrote:

Add to that the fact that the mast's inertia has gone, and the
boat now reacts very much more quickly to any disturbance - then
rolls back and forth, one cycle every couple of seconds.

That was my experience, quicker motion and greater amplitude of
rolling. Very unpleasant.

Wayne.B January 30th 06 03:58 AM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:01:27 -0800, Evan Gatehouse
wrote:

Richard Woods (the skipper of the cat we're discussing) is British and
his boat is UK Flagged - and this is international waters. What
felony law would apply?

Good question, and I have no idea. For US citizens it is clear cut:
You are required to obey an order from a law enforcement officer, and
the USCG qualifies as such.

News f2s January 30th 06 11:05 AM

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Nope. It doesn't work like that. You would think it would, but
it doesn't. We had a dismasting on the bay (one of my students).
It was caused by a hairline crack. They were pounding up to the
Golden Gate area from Alcatraz on a typical 20-25 knot day in
3-4 foot chop. After the mast came down, the boat was almost
uncontrollable as it drifted back down hill. Finally, after they
cut away the mast, they were able to motor back to the slip, and
according to the crew who we interviewed, it was the worst part
of the trip. The boat was so unstable a couple of people got sea
sick.

You said it yourself in your final paragraph... that is the
definition of instability.

For clarity, I'm only talking about the rolling stability. There
are two types of roll stability we're perhaps confusing here.

First, static stability is the tendency of a boat to right itself
once it has been heeled over. After a single disturbance the boat
will rock side to side a couple of times until the motion dies
off. If static stability decreases, the boat will right more
slowly after a disturbance. If statically unstable, the boat will
roll upside down. If, on the other hand, static stability
increases, the boat tries to right itself more quickly than
before. The rocking motion will speed up.

If the rocking motion dies away, you have dynamic stability too.

Dynamic instability is when an oscillation builds up instead,
until either something breaks or there's a breakdown in the
circumstances. The best example of this is the 'death roll'
enjoyed by a downwind boat with too much sail up for the wind. Our
relevant example is when the wave frequency disturbing a dismasted
boat is the same as the (quicker) tendency to rock back and forth.
The rocking amplitude will then increase (instead of dying away)
until it reaches some peak value, when there's usually some hiatus
before the whole lot starts off again.

Incredibly uncomfortable. Dynamic instability, caused by excessive
static stability raising the boat's natural rocking frequency to
match the wave frequency.

JimB

Capt. JG January 30th 06 05:14 PM

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, well, then for the other kind of stability, you should get a multi. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce in Alaska January 30th 06 09:41 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

wrote:

Richard Woods (the skipper of the cat we're discussing) is British and
his boat is UK Flagged - and this is international waters. What
felony law would apply?

Good question, and I have no idea. For US citizens it is clear cut:
You are required to obey an order from a law enforcement officer, and
the USCG qualifies as such.

In International Waters, a UK Flagged Vessel, skippered by a UK Resident
would only have to comply with Lawfull Orders of a UK Warship, by
International Convention. However any Warship of any Flag, may ask
the UK Government for Premission to Board, thru its Ambasador to the UK,
and with a good Probubal Cause Showing, these types of requests are
routinely granted to Governments, who are contigiuous to the position
of the vessel. All of the previous, notwithstanding, the REAL Law of
the Sea is, "He who has the Biggest Guns present, decides what the Law
is at that moment in time".

I remenber back a decade or two the US and Canada were having a dispute
over Pacific Red Salmon Fishing. The Canadians decided to charge US
Flagged Fishing Vessels, transiting the Inside Passage between Washington
and Alaska a "Transit Tax", and stated that they would enforce the
collection of said "Tax" with Armed Canadian Coast Guard Vessels.
This would have been contrary to Ratified Treaties between the two
Countries. This so incensed the two Senators from Washington State
that "Scoop Jackson" stated on the Floor of the Senate, that if
the Canadian Government did actuall act in this manner, the US
would respond by convoying it's transiting Fishing Vessels and
escort them with a Destroyers from Bremerton Navy Yard, and if a
Candaian Coast Guard Vessel poiked it's bow over the horizion,
the Destroyer would sink that ship, faster than the blink of an eye.
That threat, ended any talk of "Armed Canadian Coast Guard Vessels", and
the US reimbused the collected "Tax" from fisherman, untill the
Canadians stopped collecting it and repaid the US Government for
ALL funds collected.

"He who has the Biggest Guns present, decides what the Law
is at that moment in time"

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

purple_stars January 31st 06 06:46 AM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

http://cruisersforum.com/showthread....14183f29db2dde...

Mayday off coast of Mexico

so what's the story, does anybody know if this guy ever found his boat ?

[email protected] January 31st 06 10:07 AM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

I still haven't been able to find any update on the search
for Eclipse. I tried calling Woods Designs in England a
few times but there's nobody there to answer the phone.

If this boat hasn't been found then how wide would you
expect the search area to be after 2 weeks ?

News f2s January 31st 06 10:57 AM

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Ah, well, then for the other kind of stability, you should get a
multi. :-)

The ultimate in static stability, created by hull form rather than
pendulum weight.

Faithfully and quickly follows the contour of every passing wave.

But, goes neutral at about 45 degrees heel. Also is also stable
upside down. Like some wide-beamed long distance racers. A rare
event, luckily.

JimB

Wayne.B January 31st 06 04:47 PM

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:07:05 GMT, wrote:

If this boat hasn't been found then how wide would you
expect the search area to be after 2 weeks ?

Well over 10,000 square miles (100 x 100), possibly even 100,000 sqm
or more.

Wayne.B January 31st 06 04:48 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

On 30 Jan 2006 22:46:54 -0800, "purple_stars"
wrote:

so what's the story, does anybody know if this guy ever found his boat ?

It will depend on wind and ocean currents, unlikely any time soon.

Gary February 2nd 06 03:59 AM

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
the REAL Law of
the Sea is, "He who has the Biggest Guns present, decides what the Law
is at that moment in time".

I remenber back a decade or two the US and Canada were having a dispute
over Pacific Red Salmon Fishing. The Canadians decided to charge US
Flagged Fishing Vessels, transiting the Inside Passage between Washington
and Alaska a "Transit Tax", and stated that they would enforce the
collection of said "Tax" with Armed Canadian Coast Guard Vessels.

What a load of BS. Canadian Coast Guard vessels are not armed. They
tend buoys and do SAR. They have nothing to do with enforcing sovereignty.

This would have been contrary to Ratified Treaties between the two
Countries. This so incensed the two Senators from Washington State
that "Scoop Jackson" stated on the Floor of the Senate, that if
the Canadian Government did actuall act in this manner, the US
would respond by convoying it's transiting Fishing Vessels and
escort them with a Destroyers from Bremerton Navy Yard, and if a
Candaian Coast Guard Vessel poiked it's bow over the horizion,
the Destroyer would sink that ship, faster than the blink of an eye.

Some two bit Senator said that and the US Navy would jump? BS.
American warships aren't allowed to transit the Inside Passage without
diplomatic clearances, just like we can't go down into Puget Sound
without dip clearances. To do otherwise is an act of aggression.

That threat, ended any talk of "Armed Canadian Coast Guard Vessels", and
the US reimbused the collected "Tax" from fisherman, untill the
Canadians stopped collecting it and repaid the US Government for
ALL funds collected.

Like many Americans, you write your own history. As I recall the
problem was the disputed area between Canada and Alaska and the fact
that US flagged fishing boats over fishing in the disputed area. Canada
said that unless quotas were adhered to then US boats could no longer
transit the Inside Passage (Canadian waters) between the lower 48 and
Alaska. Of course we came to an amicable agreement without threats,
although the border is still disputed.

See:
http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/c..._disputes.html
For our disputed borders.

"He who has the Biggest Guns present, decides what the Law
is at that moment in time"

Bruce in alaska

Gaz in Canada

Bob February 4th 06 09:48 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

Wayne. B
Jan 29, 7:58 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.boats.cruising
From: Wayne.B - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:58:42 -0500
Subject: Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran
original | Report Abuse

wrote:
Richard Woods (the skipper of the cat we're discussing) is British and
his boat is UK Flagged - and this is international waters. What
felony law would apply?

Good question, and I have no idea. For US citizens it is clear cut:
You are required to obey an order from a law enforcement officer, and
the USCG qualifies as such.

Once again Wayne B. is right on. The USCG and USN can stop anybody-
anywhere- anytime, board you and drag your sorry ass to the brig. For
the US gov there is no such thing as "international waters." They call
it Drug Enforcment.Try this: you are sitting in some SE Asian country
drinking a beer. Decide to take that cute girl up on her offer for a
lilttle suckie suckie. Problem is she is a little young. The US can and
has arrested US citizens for child rape while in another county. Do not
pass go, Do not collets $200, Go directly to jail. The US has some very
long arms.
Bob

Don White February 4th 06 10:58 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

Bob wrote:
Wayne. B
Jan 29, 7:58 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.boats.cruising
From: Wayne.B - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:58:42 -0500
original | Report Abuse

wrote:

[...]

You got that right!
Some stupid young guy here in my home provinve started talking tash and
threatening George W. on the internet.
Next thing..the Secret Service called the Mounties and that kid was
rounded up and charged. Not sure if his case has come before the courts
yet.

Bob February 5th 06 07:00 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

Hello:

To bring this thread back to the start of this post................

I have met over the years people who say they have 45 years experience
and hundreds of thousands of miles under their keel. We are lead to
believe that experience and miles equals ability and knowledge.
However, I have learned that "experienced " skippers may simply
have repeated mistakes made their first year 30 times. The skipper of
the cat in his own words:

"....However, in 45 years of sailing and around 70,000 of offshore
sailing, I have never had to stop sailing because of bad weather. So it
had all been theory for me, until now...."

Sounds as though the skipper of the cat has 45 years of very limited
experiences and also learned little along the way. At least he was
honest. I was reading an interesting account of the 1979 Fastnet fiasco
a few years back. Read the quote below and ask yourself does experience
equal skill?

The following quote is from an interview with Bill Burrows, Chief
Engineer Royal Navy Lifeboat Institution. He retrieved three disabled
sailboats in a 21 hour rescue during the fatal 1979 Fastnet Storm.
"... Look, you get 300 Yachats in poor weather and you're going to
have some trouble, almost certainly. But the majority of the trouble
was hysteria created by the situation and by inexperienced crews. And
that it was. They were blaming rudders and such, but none of those
rudders would have snapped if they had put drogues out and storm jibs
and run before the weather. They were under bare poles, most of them,
and they were getting up on the seas. And the seas were about 45 feet.
NOT WHAT WE AROUND HERE CALL BIG. They got up on these seas and they
were running. When the boats were starting to broach, what the helmsmen
were doing was hauling on the rudders to stop them from broaching. They
were putting too much bloody strain on the rudders, and they had to go.
Yes, I know they were racing sailors, not cruising men, but that's no
excuse. WE WENT OUT THAT NIGHT AND WE PASSED A LITTLE OLD HOOKER SORT
OF THING WITH A FAMILY OF KIDS ABOARD AND THEY WERE GOING AWAY TO
IRELAND WITH NO TROUBLE AT ALL...."

Which brings me back to the topic of FREAK waves........... Some people
actually learn something in their 45 years sailing others are only
doomed to repeat their same mistakes until they get caught. The problem
is that some skippers hide behind their "sea service" in hopes to
sound important and knowledgeable. Its not how long you do
something......Its what you learn along the way.

Bob

Gogarty February 5th 06 07:56 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

In article .com,
says...

Once again Wayne B. is right on. The USCG and USN can stop anybody-
anywhere- anytime, board you and drag your sorry ass to the brig. For
the US gov there is no such thing as "international waters." They call
it Drug Enforcment.

I thought we fought a war about that, in 1812.

The US may not stop a foreign flag vessel in international waters unless
it has the permission of the government whose flag it is. But like so
much else these days, that's a mere technicality to be brushed aside.
Too many governmenst routinely grant blanket authority. Can you imagine
the uproasr if Iran started stopping US flag vessels in the Persian
Gulf?

There was a case a few years back where the CG attempted to stop a
foreign flag vessel in the Gulf of Mexico. The skipper said in effect
**** you. He made it to Veracruz, Mexico, with the CG in hot pursuit and
shooting at him. There was no contraband on his ship. He was standing on
principle. Could have been a costly stand. But he was right.

Capt. JG February 5th 06 11:57 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article .com,
says...

[...]

The CG couldn't sink him?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

otnmbrd February 6th 06 01:38 AM

Gogarty wrote in news:

The US may not stop a foreign flag vessel in international waters unless
it has the permission of the government whose flag it is. But like so
much else these days, that's a mere technicality to be brushed aside.
Too many governmenst routinely grant blanket authority. Can you imagine
the uproasr if Iran started stopping US flag vessels in the Persian
Gulf?

EG First you'd have to find a vessel (other than Navy) in the Persian
Gulf with a US flag, then you'd have to find one that wasn't under US
government charter.

Ian George February 6th 06 02:32 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

While reading rec.boats.cruising, I noticed ray lunder
felt compelled to write:

Is there a general guideline for drogue size? My boat is 23', 9' beam,
tumbleholm stern, about 2.5 tons. Also, some boats have a provision
for chaining the rudder (mine doesn't) to avoid being bent by a
following wave. I assume the drogue is deployed on a line whose length
is somehow related to wave height or interval? Can you elaborate on
this? How do you avoid having the cockpit filled with seawater? Thank
you.

www.seriesdrogue.com

particularly:

http://seriesdrogue.com/designersnot...nersnotes.html

the other designers notes and research data on this site will answer
all the above.

Ian

Bob February 6th 06 04:30 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

The best $20 bucks you will ever spend. Cuts right through all the BS
you'll here from people who have 45 years and 100s of thousands of
miles "experience." For example, the cat owner in this earlier
discussion.

Hinz, Earl R. (2000), Heavy Weather Tactics Using Sea Anchors and
Drogues. Arcata, CA: Paradise Cay Publications (ISBN 0 939837 37 4).
Bob

Bruce in Alaska February 6th 06 08:32 PM

"Bob" wrote:

Good question, and I have no idea. For US citizens it is clear cut:
You are required to obey an order from a law enforcement officer, and
the USCG qualifies as such.

Well now, the above is not exactly true.

For US Flagged and Documented Vessels, the USCG, US Marshals, and the
US Navy, if at sea are the only people that can board, without the
Captain's Permission.
Local LEO's sometimes try to extend their Jurasdiction to Documented
Vessels, and have done so in US Waters, only to have any evidence seized
thrown out of Court for Illeagal Search. Having been a Federal Agent,
with Enforcement Powers, I still had to go find a US Marshal, or Coastie,
to board a US Flagged and Documented Vessel, against the Captains wishes.
I have had to do this numerious times, and the proceedure was always the
same. Usually it has been something simple, but on one occasion a
collegue had to go find a local Coastie to accompany him back to so
a SixPack Inspection on a local Charter Vessel, where boarding was
denied by the Skipper. I stood watch while the USCG was rounded up, and
they actually came in force, armed, with a CPO in charge of the detail.
We conducted our inspection, found numerious violations and PickSlipped
the Vessel, but the CPO looked in the bildge, found a pile of Dope,
and hauled the skipper and Mate off in cuffs. I was called as a witness,
to document the timeline of the observation of the vessel in question,
and the skipper was convicted, and the Mate as well. Ever wonder why
it is the US Marshals that conduct sales of documented vessels that are
siezed in US Waters, and it is the Marshals that do the siezing?

Maritime Law is different that any other LAW, and it has different
requirements than normal shoreside Law.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Bob February 6th 06 09:25 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

Wayne.B February 6th 06 11:11 PM

On 6 Feb 2006 13:25:18 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Not for long.

Gary February 6th 06 11:36 PM

Bob wrote:
Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

As the Captain of a Canadian warship, I can tell you, we can't do that.
We'd need probable cause and loads of approval. We'd probably
just put some other resources on you and watch you quite closely until
we got the permission. Now, in the Persian Gulf......

Don White February 7th 06 01:01 AM

Gary wrote:
Bob wrote:

Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

As the Captain of a Canadian warship, I can tell you, we can't do that.
We'd need probable cause and loads of approval. We'd probably
just put some other resources on you and watch you quite closely until
we got the permission. Now, in the Persian Gulf......

Sail on one of the 'Halifax Class' ships?

Gary February 7th 06 01:11 AM

Don White wrote:
Gary wrote:

Bob wrote:

Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

As the Captain of a Canadian warship, I can tell you, we can't do
that. We'd need probable cause and loads of approval. We'd
probably just put some other resources on you and watch you quite
closely until we got the permission. Now, in the Persian Gulf......

Sail on one of the 'Halifax Class' ships?

No. HMCS Oriole.

www.navy.gc.ca/oriole

Wayne.B February 7th 06 02:08 AM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:11:41 GMT, Gary wrote:

No. HMCS Oriole.

www.navy.gc.ca/oriole

Cool.

Are you allowed warning shots across the bow in port/starboard
encounters?

Don White February 7th 06 03:32 AM

Gary wrote:
Don White wrote:

Gary wrote:

Bob wrote:

Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

As the Captain of a Canadian warship, I can tell you, we can't do
that. We'd need probable cause and loads of approval. We'd
probably just put some other resources on you and watch you quite
closely until we got the permission. Now, in the Persian Gulf......

Sail on one of the 'Halifax Class' ships?

No. HMCS Oriole.

www.navy.gc.ca/oriole

Lucky you!..
What's with that picture of you leading 'Bluenose II'?
Someone doctor it up for propaganda purposes?
I've got a couple of nieces in the Navy. One is a recruiter and the
other is reserve (fleet diving)

Bruce in Alaska February 7th 06 08:21 PM

"Bob" wrote:

Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

At that point Maritime Law says "He who has the Biggest Guns at the
momment, decides what the Law is, at that momment".....
I suspect that you would be hailed, and asked, to state, or show a Flag.
If you choose not to, then you would be boarded as a "Pirate". If you
choose to lie, and declare a Flag of another nation, and got caught,
you would be boarded and taken into custody as a Pirate. If you
stated you were a US Flagged vessel, you would be boarded and inspected
like any other US Flagged Vessel.

The US Navy, wouldn't be hailing you on the High Seas, unless they had a
specific Tasking to do so, so I suspect that this wouldn't actually be a
real senerio. The USCG however does routinely hail and board unFlagged
vessels in international waters.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Bob February 7th 06 09:21 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

Thank you Bruce.
Bob

Andy February 7th 06 11:58 PM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

Mic wrote:
We left Nicaragua on Friday 13th, which probably didn't help matters,
and had a very frustrating sail along the coast of El Salvador and
then Guatemala. Frustrating, as the weather was really changeable. For
example we went from motoring to sailing under reefed genoa alone in
under 2 minutes. But we did have some nice sailing for a couple of
hours each day - then followed by several hours of motoring. So it was
taking longer than we wanted to get to Mexico and we were both getting
tired, but Jetti, as always, was preparing good food. There was a time
constraint as we knew there would be a bad gale coming through the
Gulf of Tehuantepec on Wednesday afternoon, and we had wanted to get
past that area by then. Sadly we didn't quite make it.

The wind got up very quickly from south 7-10 knots to north west 30.
As we got away from land the wind increased more. There are several
proven, accepted, techniques for handling bad weather in a catamaran.
If the wave and wind are not too severe, one can just heave to or take
down all sail and lie ahull.

I am surprised no one has mentioned that trying to cut straight across
the Gulf of Tehuantepec in January (which is when this happened
according to news reports) is wildly reckless. As even some cursory
research will show, the winds in the Gulf of Tehuantepec in January are
pretty much non-stop gales. Even if someone predicted that the winds
in the Gulf would be less than gale force in January, I wouldn't
believe them for a second. The only non-suicidal way to traverse
Tehuatepec in January is stop in Puerto Madero and wait patiently for a
weather window (which may take weeks) and then stay 50 feet off the
beach and creep along the shoreline the whole way around.

The other thing I found bizarre about this story was the fact that the
author seemed to have little understanding of the stucture and dynamics
of the Tehuantepec gales. When a Tehuantepec winter gale starts
blowing it could easily last for 10 days or more, especially in
January, and the zone of gale force winds can extend something like 350
or more miles out to sea. Its not like a low pressure system that
blows through; its a stationary gale that can last weeks. Putting out
a sea anchor in Tehuantepec in a January gale is pretty much
guaranteeing that you will be beat up by gale force winds until you or
your boat falls apart. Also, the Tehuantepec gales shoot out of the
Gulf like a jet from a firehose; if you can work your way to the edge
of the gale zone you can go from 20-30 knot winds to dead calm in the
space of 5 miles.

The real lesson in this story is not about heavy weather tactics, its
about researching conditions before you start a passage, which these
people didn't seem to do.

I crossed Tehuantepec going north around late Nov 2002. I stopped at
Puerto Madero, and then went to the internet cafe every day and
downloaded NWS TPC weatherfax for Tehuantepec. It took 10 days until
they predicted a brief break in the gales (5 knot winds for 2 days).
Then we set out creeping along the shoreline. Just as we were about at
the top of the Gulf the winds were still light and were still predicted
to be less than 10 knots, and we decided that it couldn't be that bad
to cut across the last little bit of the Gulf about 15-30 miles off the
beach. Wrong. We got hit with 30 knot plus winds, double reefed the
main, rolled up the jib to just a scrap, and then flew across the gulf
at 2 knots over hull speed on a beam reach heeled over like crazy.
Since we were relatively near shore the waves weren't too bad, and
since we were near the top of the gulf we only had a short distance of
the wind tunnel to cross, so after about 6-8 hours we were out the
other side and motoring in dead calm, but it was still a hair raising
experience. If we had tried to heave-to, or put out a sea anchor (not
that we had one), we probably would have spent the next couple weeks
drifting slowly downwind in non-stop gale conditions.

Andy

Bob February 8th 06 01:31 AM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

Hi Andy:

So true. The original poster on this topic summed it up best whith a
quote from the skipper of the cat,

"....However, in 45 years of sailing and around 70,000 of offshore
sailing, I have never had to stop sailing because of bad weather. So it

had all been theory for me, until now...."

"I don't think were're in Kansas anymore Toto."
Dorthy

otnmbrd February 8th 06 02:31 AM

Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

The best way to forcast a Tehauntepecer is to watch the weather in the Gulf
of Mexico.
If you have a Blue Norther or strong North wind there, fiqure you're in for
a pasting in Tehauntepec.....hug the beach.

[email protected] February 8th 06 10:57 AM

"Andy" wrote:
The real lesson in this story is not about heavy weather
tactics, its about researching conditions before you start
a passage, which these people didn't seem to do.

I can't help but wonder if Richard Woods wanted to test
his catamaran design in a heavy weather condition but
just didn't expect it to get as bad as it did.

Andy February 8th 06 02:08 PM

wrote:
"Andy" wrote:
The real lesson in this story is not about heavy weather
tactics, its about researching conditions before you start
a passage, which these people didn't seem to do.

I can't help but wonder if Richard Woods wanted to test
his catamaran design in a heavy weather condition but
just didn't expect it to get as bad as it did.

A desire to do some heavy weather sailing seems like the only
reasonable theory for why someone would charge into the Gulf of
Tehuantepec in January without first stopping in Puerto Madero and
waiting for an unambiguous weather window. The only other possible
explanation is that Mr. Woods had simply not read or heard anything
about the region he was sailing in and had no idea that he was sailing
into a wind tunnel, which seems unlikely.

In any event, it offended me that Mr. Woods described what happened to
him as if it was just some unlucky twist of fate that he got caught in
a gale, when in fact it was almost a certainty that he would get
plastered doing what he did.

Andy

Bob February 8th 06 05:53 PM

Andy wrote:

In any event, it offended me that Mr. Woods described what happened to
him as if it was just some unlucky twist of fate that he got caught in
a gale, when in fact it was almost a certainty that he would get
plastered doing what he did.

Andy

Yes.......... I agree!
And I would add humbly to Andy's observation that Freak, Maverick, and
Sneaker waves might also fit with that example. Sorry guys, I really
feel strongly that the unpredictable can be expected, and reasonably
predicted. Its the old Observe-Anticipate-Take corrective actions
routine. As mariners, we do not have the luxury to blame the fickle
finger of fate for our troubles. An earlier sailor here said that a
more accurate analogy would be to get into a car, drive down the road,
and have a tree fall on us. How could we predict that? Anybody ever
live in the mountains where an interstate freeway cuts through a pass.
Ever see those 4x4 SUVs from the warmer and flatter elevations go
roaring pass at 70 mph over the packed snow with a Starbucks in one
hand? I usually would pass them in the ditch. A very sobering and
edicational sight for my then 16 year old daughter. She learned from
the mistakes of others. Ever talk to one of those SUV drivers after
their crash? "All of sudden the care went completely out of control !"
Duh, wonder why? So, who was driving???
Sounds a lot like those charterboat operators who killed their
passengers when a Rogue
Wave "came out of nowhere."

Bob
(Emerging Sock Puppet)