BoatBanter.com

-   -   Steve on Ingrid Good Intentions (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/65634-steve-ingrid-good-intentions.html)

Bob January 24th 06 03:50 AM

Steve on Ingrid Good Intentions

Hi Steve:

I read on a past post that you had a few NFM ports installed on your
boat.

How are they working now?

Write me at freya2go at yahoo . com

Thanks,

Bob

Steve January 25th 06 04:27 PM

Steve on Ingrid Good Intentions

Haven't had a leak yet.

However, you must be sure they are bedded properly (as with any ports). I
experienced a couple leaks even though
they were bedded in 5200.

I think my problem was the LP paint on the fiberglass surface didn't allow a
good bond for the 5200. When I reseated the leaking ports, I cleaned the
painted surface with acetone and that seems to have resolved that problem. I
also cleaned the surface of the bronze to make sure there was no
contamination there as well.

I might mention that my experience with a total of 8 NFM rectangular ports.
The over all quality was good and when I need a replacement spring for one
dog (lost), Richard provided several. He also provided a special wrench for
adjusting the hinges.
--
My experience and opinion, FWIW
--

oups.com...

Skip Gundlach January 26th 06 07:49 PM

Ping (was) Steve on Ingrid Good Intentions

Steve, drop me a line off-group...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Bob January 26th 06 08:24 PM

Steve on Ingrid Good Intentions

Steve;

Thank you for the fast response. Your experience with the ports is
incouraging.
I always do my best to send PT my business when possible.Seems like a
good town/community to support. Even though NFM went to China.

Till my next problem,

Bob

Steve January 27th 06 01:07 AM

Steve on Ingrid Good Intentions

..Seems like a
good town/community to support. Even though NFM went to China.

That is true. Robert is an experienced Foundaryman and has a modest foundry
and machine shop on site. (nice family on site as well).

It is my understanding he is in China doing most of the QA while his items
are being produced. In some instances, he leave some machining to be done in
his own modern shop.

I would prefer that it all be done here but then WE couldn't afford his
items. Similar to the many day-to-day items that come from China.

I'm old enough to remember when the Japanese items were considered "Cheap
knock-offs" and we should only purchase Made in USA or Union Label, etc. Now
look who is setting the standard for product quality.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions