Thomas Wentworth

Default Atomic 4, GAS, rebuild, replace, fix, advice ??????????

A boat I am interested in .. Alberg 35. It still has the Atomic 4,,
Universal Engine .. GAS.

Access to the engine is very easy. And, I am not against a gas engine, per
say. So, to save money [oopps], I want to take the engine out of the boat,
get the engine rebuilt and put back in.

I know about Moyer in PA. I have been on his Web Site and read all the
info.

My first thought,,, drive to Moyer's shop and drop off the engine; have him
rebuild, go and get it and put it back in the boat. That is a 450 mile
drive; one way!

Second thought,,,, take engine out. Bring to local engine rebuilder, have
him rebuild the engine, get the parts from Moyer,,, and put the engine back
in.

QUESTION;; CAN A LOCAL ENGINE REBUILDER DO AS GOOD A JOB AS MOYER?

WHAT WOULD BE THE MOST ECONOMICAL METHOD TO FOLLOW?

Ryk

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:52:08 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

A boat I am interested in .. Alberg 35. It still has the Atomic 4,,
Universal Engine .. GAS.

Access to the engine is very easy. And, I am not against a gas engine, per
say. So, to save money [oopps], I want to take the engine out of the boat,
get the engine rebuilt and put back in.

Does the engine need a rebuild, or just a bit of a tune up in place?
Replace the ignition system for about $120 in Delco parts, test the
compression, and you may be just fine.

Ryk
Capt. JG

Yeah... A4s are quite reliable as long as they're in good shape. The main
problem seems like for a rebuild would be getting it out of the boat. The
work should be pretty straightforward.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

A boat I am interested in .. Alberg 35. It still has the Atomic 4,,
Universal Engine .. GAS.

Access to the engine is very easy. And, I am not against a gas engine,
per
say. So, to save money [oopps], I want to take the engine out of the
boat,
get the engine rebuilt and put back in.

Does the engine need a rebuild, or just a bit of a tune up in place?
Replace the ignition system for about $120 in Delco parts, test the
compression, and you may be just fine.

Ryk

Thomas Wentworth

Capt JG,, I looked into this. I have a plan.. It might cost around $125
but that isn't so bad.

===========

Now all I need is a working AT4, in OK Condition..

===================================

wrote:

A boat I am interested in .. Alberg 35. It still has the Atomic 4,,
Universal Engine .. GAS.

Access to the engine is very easy. And, I am not against a gas engine,
per
say. So, to save money [oopps], I want to take the engine out of the
boat,
get the engine rebuilt and put back in.

Does the engine need a rebuild, or just a bit of a tune up in place?
Replace the ignition system for about $120 in Delco parts, test the
compression, and you may be just fine.

That's cheap...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Ryk

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:19:15 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Ryk" wrote in message
Does the engine need a rebuild, or just a bit of a tune up in place?
Replace the ignition system for about $120 in Delco parts, test the
compression, and you may be just fine.

That's cheap...

That's about what it cost me in $CDN in Sarnia this summer for plugs,
points, condenser, coil, rotor, and plug wires. I bought everything
because it was easier than going back and forth without a car. Turns
out wires, points and condenser would have done the job for half the
price, but now I have a better stash of spares. One of the big pluses
on the A4 is that a lot of the expendables are automotive standard, at
automotive prices.

Ryk
Thomas Wentworth

Unfortunately,, rebuild is called for. I am working on a couple of plans.
1. Get the existing engine rebuilt. Problem is, I don't own the boat yet.
And, until the engine is out of the boat you can't tell the condition of the
block.
2. Buy a replacement diesel. This is around $7200. If I can find one that
will fit the existing motor mounts [ Beta Marine ] , then I would have to
come up with some type of offer that makes allowances for the new engine.
3. Find an Atomic 4 Universal Gas engine that is still running ok. One
that was taken out of an older boat by an owner who "just had to have" a
diesel. Then do a swap with the engine that is in the boat. This is the
best plan so far. At the end of the season, look around and see in what
direction to follow.
4. Buy the boat with NO ENGINE. Use a dinghy as a tugboat. As nutty as
this sounds,, it might work. And, then I can get the boat and go off
sailing.

5,6,7,8,9 ........... Win the Super Lotto .

Call up a sailboat builder and say "build me a boat"

I really like the sound of 5,6,7,8,9,

wrote:

A boat I am interested in .. Alberg 35. It still has the Atomic 4,,
Universal Engine .. GAS.

Access to the engine is very easy. And, I am not against a gas engine,
per
say. So, to save money [oopps], I want to take the engine out of the
boat,
get the engine rebuilt and put back in.

Does the engine need a rebuild, or just a bit of a tune up in place?
Replace the ignition system for about $120 in Delco parts, test the
compression, and you may be just fine.

Ryk

I too bought a boat (Yankee 30) with an A4 in it. I found that a compression check revealed that the mechanicals were
sound, and after a bit of tinkering, it started right up, and ran smooth.

As to having a local shop do a rebuild, I don't think I would, unless they could show me an overhaul/shop manual which
has all the clearences and tolerances. Too many engines (boat and auto) have been ruined by people who declare "All
engines are the same"

If and when I need a new/rebuilt engine, I'm going straight to Moyer...I've delt with them, and am impresssed how well
they know the A4. Because I've replace 'stuff' on the engine, I'd probably get a short block.

Norm

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:57:34 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth" wrote:

[...]

.. .
wrote:

A boat I am interested in .. Alberg 35. It still has the Atomic 4,,
Universal Engine .. GAS.

Access to the engine is very easy. And, I am not against a gas engine,
per
say. So, to save money [oopps], I want to take the engine out of the
boat,
get the engine rebuilt and put back in.

Does the engine need a rebuild, or just a bit of a tune up in place?
Replace the ignition system for about $120 in Delco parts, test the
compression, and you may be just fine.

Ryk

Jere Lull

In article 2p4Bf.21211$nQ3.6627@trndny03,
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote:

4. Buy the boat with NO ENGINE. Use a dinghy as a tugboat. As
nutty as this sounds,, it might work. And, then I can get the boat
and go off sailing.

Friend of ours put a outboard mount on the transom. Converted the engine
space into incredible stowage area. They seem happy enough with it.

--
Jere Lull
Rich Hampel

Moyer provides a warantee for an exchange short or long block.
I dont think you can get the same 'warantee' deal from a local
rebuilder.
If the local rebuilder has the capacity to do micro-boring and
micro-polishing then and only then would the local rebuilder produce a
better engine rebuild.
Obviously Moyer has the highest expertise with A4s