Default quality of Brig vs. Zodiac ????????

Hello
I am going to make a purchase an inflatable about 14 feet long . Brig
is less money than Zodiac by far . Are there quality concerns or any
other concerns with this product ???

Thanks

Jim

Look for Hypalon.

Avon used to be the best. There's a lot of twists and turns to the
story. Maybe, today, Caribe is equal in quality and better in price.

I know of a lot of old Avons. I don't see any old Zodiacs.

Why do you suppose that is?

wrote:
Hello
I am going to make a purchase an inflatable about 14 feet long . Brig
is less money than Zodiac by far . Are there quality concerns or any
other concerns with this product ???

Thanks

Jim

Don't know anything about Brig. You see a lot of old Avons, but you
never see old Zodiacs. Why do you suppose that is?

Hypalon fabric. Don't buy anything made from anything other than Hypalon.

Caribe makes a darn good boat.

wrote:

Hello
I am going to make a purchase an inflatable about 14 feet long . Brig
is less money than Zodiac by far . Are there quality concerns or any
other concerns with this product ???

Thanks

Wayne.B

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:40:27 GMT, Jim wrote:

Caribe makes a darn good boat.

All of them are RIBs as far as I know. I have a Caribe RIB which is
doing OK but it is showing some minor signs of wear and tear.

rhys

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:40:00 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:40:27 GMT, Jim wrote:

Caribe makes a darn good boat.

All of them are RIBs as far as I know. I have a Caribe RIB which is
doing OK but it is showing some minor signs of wear and tear.

I have a Zodiac Yachtmaster 1 310 RIB made of PVC from 1996. Even
covered (out of the sun), the PVC has deteriorated, even here in
Toronto. In the tropics, I doubt it would have lasted two years. Good
thing I paid well under half-price for it when I bought it in 2000.

Nonetheless, the RIB portion is sound, and for me it makes sense to
have it retubed (with 17" instead of 16") Hypalon pontoons prior to
going south in about three years. The cost of retubing will be about
$2,000, or about $3,000-$3,500 less than a new 310 cm. RIB.

I also glassed on a "strake" last year for about $30 in raw materials
and about three hours of labour. I will add barrier coat before the
spring.

I guess what I'm getting at is that maybe if you can pick up a
PVC-rotted Zodiac RIB for $100.00, you could have it professionally
retubed at a fraction of the cost of even used Hypalon. The RIB part
rarely sees damage or even much wear and is quite amenable to
"recycling".

Practical Sailor ran a load of reviews on both RIB and non-RIB
inflatables last year. I got the impression Brig was cheaply made and
Caribe was being seen as a decent contender.

Also, if you are in love with "new", consider the aluminum RIBs.

R.

Jim

The cost of retubing will be about
$2,000, or about $3,000-$3,500 less than a new 310 cm. RIB.

A good used Caribe C-12 (12 ft, vs. 10 foot for the 310) should cost the
price you quote to "re-tube". You could still have the Caribe 10 years
from now, you will be re-tubing the Zodiac every couple of years.

I bought a new Avon 310 almost 20 years ago, used it heavily, and sold
it last year for about what it cost new.

Bought a used Caribe C-12 for what I sold the Avon for. Dollar for
dollar this is far better than replacing parts that you know you will be
replacing again.

My advice: buy a Hypalon boat.

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:32:49 GMT, Jim wrote:

The cost of retubing will be about
$2,000, or about $3,000-$3,500 less than a new 310 cm. RIB.

A good used Caribe C-12 (12 ft, vs. 10 foot for the 310) should cost the
price you quote to "re-tube". You could still have the Caribe 10 years
from now, you will be re-tubing the Zodiac every couple of years.

I bought a new Avon 310 almost 20 years ago, used it heavily, and sold
it last year for about what it cost new.

Bought a used Caribe C-12 for what I sold the Avon for. Dollar for
dollar this is far better than replacing parts that you know you will be
replacing again.

My advice: buy a Hypalon boat.

Perhaps I wasn't clear: I would be retubing a Zodiac 310 RIB *with*
Hypalon...probably with these people, who have a good reputation.
http://www.torontoboatshow.ca/directory/?id=2301

Also, 12 feet and 212 pounds empty is too large for my needs. I can
haul the 10 foot RIB awkwardly, but it's just over 100 pounds, and so
is not crazy to haul aboard if the engine and tank and battery is out.

I wouldn't buy PVC again, but if you can show me a Hypalon 10-foot RIB
for $2,000, I'd love to see it.

R.