BoatBanter.com

-   -   A question of concern (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/64228-re-question-concern.html)

[email protected] December 17th 05 06:32 AM

A question of concern

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 03:13:17 GMT, wrote:

Hello all.

I have a question, something that puts me in a quandary and would like some opinions
from experienced yachtsmen.

My father is in his mid eighties and has spent a few years at sea on a ferro-cement
yacht. He was ex-Navy before that. He sold his yacht some years ago and bought a
house and all seemed well. He has now decided to go back to sea, and has effectively
sold everything he owns and bought another yacht. Some subtle enquiries by
telephone to the marina personnel and a yacht broker have provided the information
that the yacht, a fibreglass 53 built in the early 70s is in very poor shape with
regard to both standing rigging and mechanicals/electrics.

If I had a 53-foot boat I would find a couple of younger shipmates to sail with me.