Lauri Tarkkonen

Default Grim MO in Maine

In Evan Gatehouse writes:

Roger Long wrote:
Someone once suggested to me pretending like the freeboard was 1000
feet and then thinking how your would approach deckwork.

I'll admit to being rather casual on this point but I'm really
thinking about this.

My wife and I discussed this when offshore cruising. Our
thought was that either of us fell overboard at night with
the other sleeping, you're dead. Simple as that. Always
wore our harnesses and clipped on to the jackline when
leaving the cockpit. Never slipped or had an incident but
you should take it seriously.

We look upon lost hats overboard as improptu man overboard
drills and usually recover them in about 2-4 minutes. But
they are easy to miss and hard to see. A floating hat is
similar to a head in the water. Makes you appreciate the
usefulness of a Dan Buoy.

There is a minor difference in recovering a lost hat than recovering a
adult human being. Your recovery time of 2-4 minutes are for sure close
to unofficial world records, and I am afraid that even you might not
match the times if either of you were in the water and the other one in
the boat. Anyway this is not the issue, but there are several cases
where the crew aboard had had trouble of getting the ones swimming back
aboard. After a few minutes in the water, that is quite a cold in the
northern and southern seas, the ability to catch and hold on to the rope
is limited and to hoist a person even if you get hold of him/her is not
as easy as some armchairsailors might think.

There was a case some ten years ago here in Baltic, where the captain
fell into the sea, and even though his vife and daughter and son in law
got a rope to him and under his arms, they could not hoist him to the
boat soon enough, to prevent him from dying in hypothermia. It was mid
Jyly and the weather was reasonabl gentle.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:21:25 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:
Snippage

You can bet I'll be giving my family another round of more intensive
training next spring.

You could try the "Captain for a day" rotation amoung your family. You
would retain oversight powers and of coarse be there for advise. )

They'll learn a lot and have fun being in charge for a day once in a
while. As they get older/more profecient you could expand their
duties into voyage planning for their day as Captain.
Mark E. Williams
Don White

Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:
In Evan Gatehouse writes:

Roger Long wrote:

[...]

What's that little saying....
50% of the people will last 50 minutes in 50 deg (F)water.
They taught us to make a 'bowline on a bight' knot to help in this
case....and if the boat is big enough, attach the main halyard to the
boom end...the bight from aft end of boom to victim. Use winches to
raise boom end (with victim secured) and swing over rail into boat.
Could be tough to do in heavy seas.
Rosalie B.

(Lauri Tarkkonen) wrote:

In Evan Gatehouse writes:

Roger Long wrote:
Someone once suggested to me pretending like the freeboard was 1000
feet and then thinking how your would approach deckwork.

I'll admit to being rather casual on this point but I'm really
thinking about this.

My wife and I discussed this when offshore cruising. Our
thought was that either of us fell overboard at night with
the other sleeping, you're dead. Simple as that. Always
wore our harnesses and clipped on to the jackline when
leaving the cockpit. Never slipped or had an incident but
you should take it seriously.

The same with us. No matter how calm or protected the waters, we
always wear life jackets when underway - not just offshore, but even
in the ICW. We wear the auto-inflate kind, and we tested them to see
how well they worked when we first got them.

[...]

We also have a way that we worked out so that either of us can winch
aboard (using the jib winch) the other one as long as the person is
conscious and can seat him/herself on the sling. We've practiced and
the gear is in the locker next to the jib winch.

However, if we have to go on deck in anything except a very calm sea,
we also clip onto the jacklines.

grandma Rosalie
Capt. JG

The possibility of finding the person in the dark will be greatly enhanced
if you have a strobe that is water activated. For an offshore, short-handed
journey, it's a small investment.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
Roger Long wrote:
Someone once suggested to me pretending like the freeboard was 1000 feet
and then thinking how your would approach deckwork.

I'll admit to being rather casual on this point but I'm really thinking
about this.

My wife and I discussed this when offshore cruising. Our thought was that
either of us fell overboard at night with the other sleeping, you're dead.
Simple as that. Always wore our harnesses and clipped on to the jackline
when leaving the cockpit. Never slipped or had an incident but you should
take it seriously.

We look upon lost hats overboard as improptu man overboard drills and
usually recover them in about 2-4 minutes. But they are easy to miss and
hard to see. A floating hat is similar to a head in the water. Makes you
appreciate the usefulness of a Dan Buoy.

Evan Gatehouse

Andy

Evan Gatehouse wrote:

My wife and I discussed this when offshore cruising. Our
thought was that either of us fell overboard at night with
the other sleeping, you're dead. Simple as that.

MOB at night is not necessarily the end if are lucky enough to do it in
the tropics in a major shipping lane.

When my wife and I were off the coast of Panama in the shipping lanes
we heard a call around 7am from a Ukrainian crewed freighter about a
MOB. A crewman had gone overboard at around 1am, and the freighter
was, for some reason, leaving the area. We were very close to the MOB
position the freighter gave, and so we started moving towards it,
though we didn't think the guy would be near there anymore since there
was a 1-2 kt current. A Panamax container ship also heard the call and
came charging to the scene (its interesting to have container ship pass
50 yards away going full speed) and, incredibly, spotted the guy within
about 20 minutes about 5 miles down current from where he went
overboard. By the time the Panamax managed to turn around and come to
a stop 100 yards from the MOB we had caught up. The Panamax had to talk
us to his position because we couldn't see him until we got within less
than 100 feet, even though conditions were not particularly rough. We
recovered him in using our dinghy (much easier than trying to pull him
directly on board, which may have been impossible). The Ukrainian
freighter came back for him, and we handed him over an hour later.

What I learned from this is that its almost impossible to see someone's
head from the deck of a sailboat if there is any chop at all, but that
if you can get a large vessel involved in the search, even hours later,
your odds improve immensely.

Andy

rhys

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:38:28 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Someone once suggested to me pretending like the freeboard was 1000
feet and then thinking how your would approach deckwork.

I'll admit to being rather casual on this point but I'm really
thinking about this.

My four-year-old is getting a regular indoctrination on the concept of
"one hand for the boat". We don't generally sail in rough enough
weather to demand jacklines, but I can rig them if necessary.

I installed preventers (as in big beefy one fixed on both sides with
lines back to the cockpit) on the boom this year, as one of the prime
ways sailors get knocked overboard around here is getting slapped in
an unexpected gybe.

The preventers act like "super vangs" and I use them instead of the
mainsheet to do main gybes in heavy air. There's a lot less noise and
fuss and possiblity of getting bonked.

R.

Don White

wrote:

[...]

Good idea..As one sailer who has been smacked in the head by the boom, I
can tell you it's no fun.
rhys

On 22 Oct 2005 21:02:36 -0700, "Andy"
wrote:

What I learned from this is that its almost impossible to see someone's
head from the deck of a sailboat if there is any chop at all, but that
if you can get a large vessel involved in the search, even hours later,
your odds improve immensely.

This was an educational story. Thanks for sharing it.

R.