BoatBanter.com

-   -   Charts of Inside Passage (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/61568-charts-inside-passage.html)

johnhh October 16th 05 11:54 PM

Charts of Inside Passage

I am planning a trip up the inside passage to Alaska next summer. My
primary navigation will be electronic, but I need paper as backup. There
must be lots of folks who have made this trip and don't need their paper
charts anymore. Any idea where I can find used ones?

thanks
John

Steve October 17th 05 03:34 AM

Charts of Inside Passage

I have a collection of Inside Passage charts and a couple chart books as
well..

I started up that trip this summer but due to a late start and bad weather
we never go beyond Port Hardy. I'm not complaining. It was a great trip, as
far as we got.

I'll contact you with an email and maybe we can work something out. Maybe I
should just loan you what I have since I still want to do it all the way.
But not this coming summer.

Like I say, my collection isn't all that complete but there are about 60-70
charts all total. Some are "Very Well Used" having made the trip for other
skippers many times over.

I use my chart books and digital charts most of the time.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

. ..

johnhh October 17th 05 03:49 AM

Charts of Inside Passage

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Strip the NS. out of my email
address.

I still need to go through the charts I have and see what I already have,
but I do have at least to Desolation Sound. I'm not too worried about the
condition, since I shouldn't need them much.

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a collection of Inside Passage charts and a couple chart books as
well..

I started up that trip this summer but due to a late start and bad weather
we never go beyond Port Hardy. I'm not complaining. It was a great trip,
as far as we got.

I'll contact you with an email and maybe we can work something out. Maybe
I should just loan you what I have since I still want to do it all the
way. But not this coming summer.

Like I say, my collection isn't all that complete but there are about
60-70 charts all total. Some are "Very Well Used" having made the trip for
other skippers many times over.

I use my chart books and digital charts most of the time.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

. ..

R.W. Behan October 17th 05 05:19 AM

Charts of Inside Passage

John--

We made the trip last summer, from early May until early August. A lifetime
adventure.

We had backup paper charts, which is not a bad idea, but also a second,
backup laptop with the electronic charts installed there, too. (Maptech
system.) As it turned out, we didn't have to rely on either backup--but I'd
heartily recommend either redundant computers or backup paper, one or the
other (if not both!)

We attended Don and Reann Douglass' Inside Passage Seminar in Anacortes,
Washington last spring. Well worth the time and money. And their
guidebooks are indispensable. We had Waggoner's along, too, which is very
good but ends at Prince Rupert.

Best wishes for a fine trip.

Dick Behan
M/V "Annie"

. ..

johnhh October 17th 05 07:25 AM

Charts of Inside Passage

Thanks Dick, with the addition of the paper charts I am searching for I will
have at least four *independent* systems. I think I will have enough
redundancy. I'm almost ashamed to admit I'm thinking of another laptop as
well. I'll also have Don and Reann's guides and Waggoner's.

"R.W. Behan" wrote in message
John--

We made the trip last summer, from early May until early August. A
lifetime adventure.

We had backup paper charts, which is not a bad idea, but also a second,
backup laptop with the electronic charts installed there, too. (Maptech
system.) As it turned out, we didn't have to rely on either backup--but
I'd heartily recommend either redundant computers or backup paper, one or
the other (if not both!)

We attended Don and Reann Douglass' Inside Passage Seminar in Anacortes,
Washington last spring. Well worth the time and money. And their
guidebooks are indispensable. We had Waggoner's along, too, which is very
good but ends at Prince Rupert.

Best wishes for a fine trip.

Dick Behan
M/V "Annie"

. ..

Bruce in Alaska October 17th 05 07:23 PM

Charts of Inside Passage

In article ,
"johnhh" wrote:

I am planning a trip up the inside passage to Alaska next summer. My
primary navigation will be electronic, but I need paper as backup. There
must be lots of folks who have made this trip and don't need their paper
charts anymore. Any idea where I can find used ones?

thanks
John

Seems to me, I remember a single set of Inside Pasage Charts, bound into
a single book that covered Puget Sound to Cape Spencer, as well as the
Coastal Pilot, which covers the Courses and Speeds for that run.
You should be able to get them at Captains in Seattle, as I recall.
If you get up here, near Glacier Bay, stop by......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

johnhh October 17th 05 08:26 PM

Charts of Inside Passage

Thanks Steve, I checked out their web site and didn't sea anything. Maybe
I'll give them a call. I did talk to the people at Armchair Sailor about
what was available. They seem to have a lot of experience in providing
charts for this trip, but didn't mention any total packages like that.
they do have a lot of helpful lists of charts needed.

Bruce in Alaska October 18th 05 07:33 PM

Charts of Inside Passage

"johnhh" wrote:

I am planning a trip up the inside passage to Alaska next summer. My
primary navigation will be electronic, but I need paper as backup. There
must be lots of folks who have made this trip and don't need their paper
charts anymore. Any idea where I can find used ones?

thanks
John

Seems to me, I remember a single set of Inside Pasage Charts, bound into
a single book that covered Puget Sound to Cape Spencer, as well as the
Coastal Pilot, which covers the Courses and Speeds for that run.
You should be able to get them at Captains in Seattle, as I recall.
If you get up here, near Glacier Bay, stop by......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Steve????? Hmmmmm, Well, I've been called worse....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Gary November 4th 05 01:52 AM

Charts of Inside Passage

Bruce in Alaska wrote:

"johnhh" wrote:

I am planning a trip up the inside passage to Alaska next summer. My
primary navigation will be electronic, but I need paper as backup. There
must be lots of folks who have made this trip and don't need their paper
charts anymore. Any idea where I can find used ones?

thanks
John

Seems to me, I remember a single set of Inside Pasage Charts, bound into
a single book that covered Puget Sound to Cape Spencer, as well as the
Coastal Pilot, which covers the Courses and Speeds for that run.
You should be able to get them at Captains in Seattle, as I recall.
If you get up here, near Glacier Bay, stop by......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Steve????? Hmmmmm, Well, I've been called worse....

Bruce in alaska

There are several versions of the charts books available at most
chandlers along the coast. They run about 80 bucks for 30 charts or so.
They cover the most common routes and passes.