BoatBanter.com

-   -   Amsoil (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/61424-amsoil.html)

Larry October 13th 05 07:50 PM

Amsoil

I sent a little email to the Superior WI chamber of commerce looking for
Amsoil's refinery that seems to be just vaporware.

The nice lady sent me:

Good Afternoon,

The AMSOIL HQ (office Only)is locatd at 925 Tower Avenue. The
Plant/Warehouse is located at 2206 Winter Street. For further
information
you can contact them directly:

2206 Winter Street is a warehouse park. Dolly Madison has a warehouse
there, as does many other businesses, all in this strip warehouse facility.
One lady I called that has a warehouse to rent at 2206 says "Amsoil's on
the other end from us." The warehouse for rent is 22K sq ft, as are the
others....no room for a refinery.

I'm still looking.....(c; Now I'm curious where Amsoil makes soap powder
and health product, too! Google finds nothing....

--
Larry

Meye5 October 13th 05 10:55 PM

Amsoil

what the hell is your point?

Tamaroak October 14th 05 05:06 AM

Amsoil

I have purchased product there. It's a big set of buildings, part
offices and some warehouses. It doesn't look like a refinery (no big
round things or smoke and flames) but is large. They are moving some of
their operations into another set of buildings this month.

They buy product from other refineries and blend it themselves; they do
not refine anything. I use it in all my marine engines except outboards.
Ask me in 10 years whether it was a good idea.

Capt. Jeff

Larry October 14th 05 06:17 PM

Amsoil

Tamaroak wrote in news:l_ydnQ0a7oVEj9LeRVn-
:

They buy product from other refineries and blend it themselves; they do
not refine anything. I use it in all my marine engines except outboards.
Ask me in 10 years whether it was a good idea.

Capt. Jeff

My point precisely. "Blending" oil products, however, also takes a
cracking plant. I'm thinking more like "scamming" than blending....

It's a pyramid dealer scheme like Amway,

AMsoil - AMway.....coincidence??

--
Larry

Rosalie B. October 14th 05 07:42 PM

Amsoil

Larry wrote:

Tamaroak wrote in news:l_ydnQ0a7oVEj9LeRVn-
:

They buy product from other refineries and blend it themselves; they do
not refine anything. I use it in all my marine engines except outboards.
Ask me in 10 years whether it was a good idea.

Capt. Jeff

My point precisely. "Blending" oil products, however, also takes a
cracking plant. I'm thinking more like "scamming" than blending....

It's a pyramid dealer scheme like Amway,

AMsoil - AMway.....coincidence??

Synthetic oil is not necessarily produced in a refinery - more like a
chemical plant.

Many oil companies do not refine their own oil. We've got several
distributors in this county, and they supply the service stations that
have different brand names, all from the same tanks.

Amsoil and Amway are both MLM organizations, but that doesn't mean
that the product is bad. We use Amsoil in all applications on both
the boat and all the cars (we have 20 cars, but only about 4 of them
are currently on the road). Bob has enough business that he can have
a dealership all by himself, what with the cars and the boats. He
doesn't need to recruit others - he just orders what he needs and they
deliver it to our door.

grandma Rosalie

krj October 14th 05 10:31 PM

Amsoil

Larry wrote:
Tamaroak wrote in news:l_ydnQ0a7oVEj9LeRVn-
:

They buy product from other refineries and blend it themselves; they do
not refine anything. I use it in all my marine engines except outboards.
Ask me in 10 years whether it was a good idea.

Capt. Jeff

My point precisely. "Blending" oil products, however, also takes a
cracking plant. I'm thinking more like "scamming" than blending....

It's a pyramid dealer scheme like Amway,

AMsoil - AMway.....coincidence??

I thought Amsoil was a synthetic, not a refined petroleum product.
Synthetics can be manufactured in any lab environment. Large cracking
plants are not required.
krj

Larry October 14th 05 10:55 PM

Amsoil

krj wrote in
:

I thought Amsoil was a synthetic, not a refined petroleum product.
Synthetics can be manufactured in any lab environment. Large cracking
plants are not required.
krj

What? You think they make it one quart at a time?

I doubt it....What's in Superior at the home office is a bottling plant out
behind Dolly Madison, or so the Dolly Madison people tell me. I'm just
trying to figure out what they're bottling that's so expensive....Mobile 1?

--
Larry

krj October 15th 05 12:54 AM

Amsoil

Larry wrote:

krj wrote in
:

I thought Amsoil was a synthetic, not a refined petroleum product.
Synthetics can be manufactured in any lab environment. Large cracking
plants are not required.
krj

What? You think they make it one quart at a time?

I doubt it....What's in Superior at the home office is a bottling plant out
behind Dolly Madison, or so the Dolly Madison people tell me. I'm just
trying to figure out what they're bottling that's so expensive....Mobile 1?

No, I don't think they make one quart at a time. Just said that they
don't need a refinery and cracking towers. Just a chemical plant.
krj

Rosalie B. October 15th 05 01:52 AM

Amsoil

krj wrote:
Larry wrote:

krj wrote in
:

I thought Amsoil was a synthetic, not a refined petroleum product.
Synthetics can be manufactured in any lab environment. Large cracking
plants are not required.
krj

What? You think they make it one quart at a time?

I doubt it....What's in Superior at the home office is a bottling plant out
behind Dolly Madison, or so the Dolly Madison people tell me. I'm just
trying to figure out what they're bottling that's so expensive....Mobile 1?

No, I don't think they make one quart at a time. Just said that they
don't need a refinery and cracking towers. Just a chemical plant.
krj

That's because Larry believes that a synthetic oil is made from
petroleum so therefore it must have a refinery.

grandma Rosalie

johnhh October 15th 05 02:28 AM

Amsoil

Larry, you seem to be hung up on the fact that they don't make it
themselves. I don't see what the issue is, private labeling is extremely
common marketing. So they by by the barrel and sell by the quart, big
deal. I have a much bigger problem with the MLM aspect of it. It's the
cultism of the MLM's that gives me the creeps.

After reading this thread, I kept asking myself, what is 'synthetic' oil
anyway. So I went to one of my favorite sites, answers.com.

http://www.answers.com/synthetic%20oil
http://www.answers.com/Fischer-Tropsch%20process

John

"Larry" wrote in message