BoatBanter.com

-   -   Help w/1st Cat purchase (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/48647-help-w-1st-cat-purchase.html)

[email protected] September 17th 05 01:00 AM

Help w/1st Cat purchase

Hello, I am just getting into sailing and would like to purchase my
first Cat. My wife & I would like something that we could use for
social week end sailing & eventually for regattas. I am a little
confused about all the different kinds of Cats available &
features.......I think I have narrowed it down to a few but would
appreciate some advice from experienced sailors before I buy. I have
been reading about the Hobie 16, Getaway, Wave...the Narca models &
the G-Cat's. What are the pro's & con's of each? which company & model
has the best rep for quality? Is most of the sailing at the beach or
is there any sailing done on local lakes around here? Is there any
place around the Tampa Bay area that We could rent any of these Cats
to try out before we buy? I live in Tampa Bay so I would be sailing
around this area mostly. Sorry about all the "newbie" questions, any
help would be greatly appreciated. thanks ArchAngel

akcarlos September 17th 05 06:28 AM

wrote:
[...]

ah you would mean a catamaran here was me thinking of a beautiful gaff
rigged single sail yacht.
I still think you would be better with a catboat than a hobie 16
specially if you intended to go cruising.

Another Dan September 19th 05 04:03 AM

wrote:

been reading about the Hobie 16, Getaway, Wave...the Narca models &
the G-Cat's. What are the pro's & con's of each? which company & model

Hobie is the original, but is kind of clunky compared to newer models.
Prindles seem to be popular, Nacra may be a little hot for a beginner.