BoatBanter.com

-   -   Entering but not breaking (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/47694-entering-but-not-breaking.html)

[email protected] August 27th 05 11:46 PM

Entering but not breaking

I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina and found
for the second time that kids have been aboard smoking pot. They do
not steal anything or do any damage but they do leave butts and ashes.
This time one left a T-shirt which could be used to ID them if I was
really interested. The first time I think they got aboard by me
leaving the combo lock unlocked (you have to spin the tumblers and I
forget). This time I think they actually removed the hasp but
carefully replaced the screws when they left. Security at the dock is
minimal and would be difficult to enforce. I do not want to get them
in trouble for the pot smoking and do not really want to get them in
trouble for using my boat while doing no damage. However, they could
get hurt being stoned and stupid so I want them to never come back. I
left two notes for them telling to leave my boat but I do not think
they will see them because they do not turn on any lights. I'll
replace the lock and hasp tomorrow but wonder if anyone else has any
suggestions for a way to warn them without hurting them.

Peggie Hall August 28th 05 12:23 AM

wrote:

I do not want to get them
in trouble for the pot smoking and do not really want to get them in
trouble for using my boat while doing no damage.

You're kidding! What they're doing is illegal--they're trespassing as
well as using illegal drugs. By not prosecuting, you're condoning
both--and lord knows, in our wacky society today, what you could be
charged with or sued for if something did happen while they're aboard
your boat. You're worried about THEIR getting hurt while they're
stoned...has it occurred to you that they could set fire to your boat?
Or that when they figure out your boat is a safe "crack house" for them,
how many more they'll invite to join 'em? And what THAT could escalate into?

What is it with adults who don't think kids should learn that actions
have consequences? And that illegal actions have very unpleasant
consequences...

--
Peggie
----------

[email protected] August 28th 05 12:52 AM

Peggie:

I did call the sherriff. He was very unenthusiastic although they did
offer to send someone by to look over the boat now and then. I'll
leave it to the law to do the hurtin. I just want to scare em away but
if the sherrif wants to gather more info and prosecute, I'll help.
Right now the sherrif dept is sorta busy preparing for a storm so I
guess this has low priority and I dont blame em.

J August 28th 05 01:04 AM

Try a google search on opening combo locks. For the person with criminal
intent, it apparently is quite easy to break the combo --- especially
when there is lots of time for a person to spend working the lock.
The "What's Yours is Mine" group has probably already written the combo on
your dock box.

I agree with the previous post, the situation will likely get worse.
If it were my situation, I'd look for a low key, low visibility way of
improving security on my boat.

Btw, a few months ago, I discovered that the pivot that the lock attaches
to on the hasp on my companionway could be merely unscrewed even while
locked, a condition I immediately corrected.

wrote in news:1125182804.419374.51570

@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

... that kids have been aboard smoking pot...
... the combo lock ....

[email protected] August 28th 05 01:51 AM

I s'pose I am naive and have never had my boat in an area where I
worried about crime. Even the idea of having to lock my boat seems
weird but I will improve security.

bob August 28th 05 02:24 AM

are you the ones who used to smoke pot back in the 60's? my how times
have changed.

Peggie Hall August 28th 05 03:16 AM

bob wrote:

are you the ones who used to smoke pot back in the 60's? my how times
have changed.

That's the problem... That we did it then has become an excuse for "we
can't tell you not to do it." It doesn't matter what we did then....we
did a whole bunch of things we were lucky to survive and/or stay out of
jail for doing. But somehow, we seem to have conveniently forgotten that
although we did all those things, society didn't condone 'em then. So
it's become "hypocrasy" to refuse to condone 'em now.

The REAL hypocracy is in pretending to have grown up into responsible
adults, yet refusing to define right and wrong, then accepting behavior
from kids we KNOW to be wrong, and THEN protecting 'em from the
consequences of their actions.

--
Peggie
----------

bob August 28th 05 03:27 AM

no offense peggie but your generation has really screwed up the kids
today. the statistics i read make me sick to my stomach. nothing
personal but my god, what the baby boomers have done to this society

Peggie Hall August 28th 05 04:21 AM

bob wrote:

no offense peggie but your generation has really screwed up the kids
today. the statistics i read make me sick to my stomach. nothing
personal but my god, what the baby boomers have done to this society

I hate to give away my age, but it wasn't MY generation...the Boomers
came after me. And I agree: my god, what the baby boomers have done to
this society! THEY were the ones who chose to let daycare warehouse
their kids instead of raising 'em themselves...their kids have made the
same choice...and now we have a third generation of "warehoused" kids
coming up who've had no real "raising," and who are so desperate for any
real attention--postive OR negative--from adults that they'll even shoot
their schoolmates and teachers to get it.

I can do 20 minutes without barely even pausing for breath on what I
believe to be the underlying causes and who is to blame...but this isn't
the place, so I'll tiptoe quietly out now...

--
Peggie
----------

[email protected] August 28th 05 04:30 AM

I am not interested in ruining some kids life just cuz he thinks my
boat is a good place to have a joint with his girlfriend. You need to
have a sense of proportion about things. They have been careful not to
destroy anything and they havent taken anything. So, it seems to me as
if they might be ok kids but simply have poor judgement. Pressing
charges would cause far more damage to society than good as long as I
can get them to stay off my boat.

prodigal1 August 28th 05 06:45 AM

Peggie Hall wrote:

I hate to give away my age, but it wasn't MY generation...the Boomers
came after me. And I agree: my god, what the baby boomers have done to
this society! THEY were the ones who chose to let daycare warehouse
their kids instead of raising 'em themselves...their kids have made the
same choice...and now we have a third generation of "warehoused" kids
coming up who've had no real "raising," and who are so desperate for any
real attention--postive OR negative--from adults that they'll even shoot
their schoolmates and teachers to get it.

"it's not MY fault, it's someone else..."
how fscking lame
nice cop out Peggie. moral high ground you do not have. if it takes an
entire village to raise a child, what part did you play or are you
playing in the creation/maintenance of that village?

[email protected] August 28th 05 06:58 AM

I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina and found
for the second time that kids have been aboard smoking pot.

I would report this to the police and keep a copy of the report on your
boat.

If you are ever stopped for a search by the USCG and they bring a dog
aboard and find pot remnants, YOU will be the one in trouble and in
danger of losing your boat - UNLESS you have reported the illegal entry
to the police and kept your copy to show the coasties.

PocoLoco August 28th 05 01:30 PM

On 27 Aug 2005 15:46:44 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Wow! You don't want them to get in trouble for trespassing and smoking pot.

Maybe their parents felt the same way. Let the little guys do whatever the hell
they want.

Seems like your priorities are a little messed up here.
--
John H

Peggie Hall August 28th 05 02:25 PM

prodigal1 wrote:

Peggie Hall wrote:

I hate to give away my age, but it wasn't MY generation...the Boomers
came after me. And I agree: my god, what the baby boomers have done to
this society! THEY were the ones who chose to let daycare warehouse
their kids instead of raising 'em themselves...their kids have made
the same choice...and now we have a third generation of "warehoused"
kids coming up who've had no real "raising," and who are so desperate
for any real attention--postive OR negative--from adults that they'll
even shoot their schoolmates and teachers to get it.

"it's not MY fault, it's someone else..."

That's NOT what I said OR even implied...and you know it's not.

nice cop out Peggie. moral high ground you do not have. if it takes an
entire village to raise a child, what part did you play or are you
playing in the creation/maintenance of that village?

I chose not to have children, because I could not stay home to raise
them. I think my part in "the village" is obvious from my previous
comments: if parents can't be bothered to teach their children that
actions have consequences, the "village" has to do it. If the "village"
won't assume any responsibility either, the "village" has no choice but
to accept being victimized...which is apparently what "dbohara" has
decided to do.

--
Peggie
----------

Don White August 28th 05 03:49 PM

PocoLoco wrote:

Wow! You don't want them to get in trouble for trespassing and smoking pot.

Maybe their parents felt the same way. Let the little guys do whatever the hell
they want.

Seems like your priorities are a little messed up here.

Yes...maybe you could use your influence to have them accepted into the
army John. A few tours in Iraq would straighten them out....don't you
think?

L. M. Rappaport August 28th 05 04:14 PM

On 27 Aug 2005 15:46:44 -0700, wrote (with
possible editing):

[...]

For what it's worth, I think the issue of prosecution isn't really
central to you. No opinion, and I won't get into a battle. I think
what you are really concerned with is damage to your boat.

First of all, I believe the advice that
gave you is
spot on. You need to keep a copy of the incident report on your boat.
The Coast Guard has made drug interdiction a large part of their
mission and you never know when you will become a random target.

Second, what access do you have to power? You could mount a low light
cctv camera high up on a mast and aim it at the cockpit. With a small
recorder with or without a motion detector; it would likely give you a
picture of the offenders sufficient to identify them. Certainly a
motion detector would give false positives as a boat is always moving,
but it would work. After the storm (good luck, btw) you might rig
this up.

Best,
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Roger Long August 28th 05 04:29 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am not interested in ruining some kids life just cuz he thinks my
boat is a good place to have a joint with his girlfriend.

Instead, you'll let him go on to ruin his own life in a bigger way.
Depriving him of the opportunity to learn that actions such as
breaking into your boat have consequences and getting the intervention
he needs is doing him no favor.

--

Roger Long
(Former drug counselor and drug program director)

Roger Long August 28th 05 04:31 PM

That is a very, very, good point. The drug cops will take your boat
if they find a single seed because it boosts their "body count" and
looks good at evaluation time without having to actually confront
someone who might shoot at them.

--

Roger Long

Sam August 28th 05 04:45 PM

They don't need to be busted since they're not wrecking anything, but
if they're leaving residue that's your liability when the CG sticks
their nose into your business. Zero tolerance. You can't legally rig up
a loaded shotgun to the door, but you could rig up one of those aerosol
air horns to the door or a trip wire. Or a whole bunch of pots and pans
to crash unto the floor. Or both. I can see the air horn loading their
pants, scrambling head over heels out of the boat, up the dock and out
of the vicinity in a blind panic which would be vastly entertaining to
see. You could add to the horn and the pans with a tape recording of a
snarling, barking, attacking beast and I'll bet you could have them
screaming as they run. There could be a silver lining to this whole
episode if you get it on video. Sam

Peggie Hall August 28th 05 05:53 PM

Sam wrote:

You can't legally rig up
a loaded shotgun to the door, but you could rig up one of those aerosol
air horns to the door or a trip wire. Or a whole bunch of pots and pans
to crash unto the floor. Or both. I can see the air horn loading their
pants, scrambling head over heels out of the boat, up the dock and out
of the vicinity in a blind panic which would be vastly entertaining to
see. You could add to the horn and the pans with a tape recording of a
snarling, barking, attacking beast and I'll bet you could have them
screaming as they run. There could be a silver lining to this whole
episode if you get it on video. Sam

Which their parents would use as evidence in their lawsuit against
him--and prob'ly the marina too--if the little buggers got hurt in their
mad scramble to get off his boat and run away. And if a burglar who fell
through the skylight of a building he was trying to break into was able
to win a suit against the building owner for a ridiculous amount for the
injuries he sustained (it happened! Nor is it the only case in which a
would-be criminal successfully sued for injuries he sustained while
committing--or trying to commit--the crime), those kids' parents could
very likely win too.

'Tis a strange and wacky world we live in today.

--
Peggie
----------

[email protected] August 28th 05 06:01 PM

hmmm, I did make sure there was a report of my calling the sherriff.
I did consider some way to scasre the crap outa them, mousetraps in the
cockpit, a flash cam set to fire when they pull the hatchboards, a
siren, etc. However, I can just imagine a couple panicked stoned kids
tripping over the lifelines and falling into the water and drowning and
then having REAL problems.
My impression is that these are just local kids who do seem to be good
kids cuz they take care not to hurt anything. The are not old enough
to have formed a complete sense of someones personal property and I do
not desire to ruin their lives just because they are currently foolish.
They live right across the canal and I get the impression that its
like when I was a kid sneaking into the neighbors tool shed to smoke
cigs, stupid but I didnt turn out to be a criminal whereas if I had
been imprisoned for it I may have turned out bad.

Sam August 28th 05 06:31 PM

Well, I don't know, it sure is a dilema. If you can't leave them a
note, or scare them, what can you do? Down here in Georgia if someone
breaks into your home you can shoot them all you want. Maybe if you're
sleeping on the boat, you can 'wing' them a little.?? Maybe you could
install a lock that's harder to open along with a hasp that's properly
installed so it can't be unscrewed?? Tell their parents?? It sounds
sort of suspicious that they would break into your boat just to smoke a
joint. Maybe they want to use the bed. Maybe it's not who you think it
is. I'd try the air horn. Sam

Jonathan Ganz August 28th 05 07:02 PM

In article .com,
Sam wrote:
Well, I don't know, it sure is a dilema. If you can't leave them a
note, or scare them, what can you do? Down here in Georgia if someone
breaks into your home you can shoot them all you want. Maybe if you're
sleeping on the boat, you can 'wing' them a little.?? Maybe you could
install a lock that's harder to open along with a hasp that's properly
installed so it can't be unscrewed?? Tell their parents?? It sounds
sort of suspicious that they would break into your boat just to smoke a
joint. Maybe they want to use the bed. Maybe it's not who you think it
is. I'd try the air horn. Sam

Motion sensor tied to a loud horn. That should do it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Paul Schilter August 28th 05 09:08 PM

Don,
Teach them little rascals what body bags are. Yeah that's it, make
cannon fodder out of em. :-(
Paul

Paul Schilter August 28th 05 09:13 PM

dbohara,
For what it's worth I'm in your corner on this issue. The fact that
they didn't hurt anything on the boat would allow me to cut them some
slack and for the reasons you state.
Paul

Don White August 28th 05 09:23 PM

Paul Schilter wrote:
Don,
Teach them little rascals what body bags are. Yeah that's it, make
cannon fodder out of em. :-(
Paul

Sorry...I'm not qualified to do that. I'm not, nor have I ever been, a
military man. I was passing that duty off to a retired former army
officer who also has teaching experience with high school age youths.

Tim August 29th 05 01:31 AM

Yeah..seems like its always somebody else's fault.

Tim August 29th 05 01:39 AM

you could always put up a sign thanking them for their politeness, then
ask them to find a different boat or car to smoke in.

Charles T. Low August 29th 05 11:38 AM

Also, if you do not report the problem and then they start a fire or
otherwise damage your boat (or other boats), I don't know what your
insurance would think.

I had a similar situation, and in retrospect wish I had reported it earlier,
because the kids started using other boats, too, got bolder, caused more
damage, and eventually got caught with a higher liablility on their hands.

Also, I leave my boat unlocked. That may be unwise in some areas, but nobody
around here steals the expensive boating stuff - just booze. So I was
"boarded" again over the winter, lost a few flashlights, no booze on board
anyway, and no one smashed in my door!

====

Charles T. Low
www.boatdocking.com

====

ups.com...

DSK August 29th 05 11:45 AM

wrote:

I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina and found
for the second time that kids have been aboard smoking pot. They do
not steal anything or do any damage but they do leave butts and ashes.

As somebody else pointed out, the slightest residue will alert a drug
dog and *you* will be in jail with your boat confiscated.

... wonder if anyone else has any
suggestions for a way to warn them without hurting them.

Get a python... the snake kind... and leave him in the boat. They won't
ever come back, and will probably tell enough other people about the
boat with the snake that you won't have to worry about petty crime.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jere Lull August 31st 05 03:28 AM

In article . com,
wrote:

I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina

Was worried about her, and you. Everything come out okay? .... ANYthing
come out okay?

and found
for the second time that kids have been aboard smoking pot. They do
not steal anything or do any damage but they do leave butts and ashes.

Some good points by others. I'd document and take pics for your
protection, but if they're not doing any harm otherwise, I'd let it
alone, except possibly to leave a note asking them to clean up a bit
more after themselves.

Some of the neighborhood kids terrorize our neighbors who try to correct
their behavior. They don't bother us because we simply ask them to be a
bit more careful so they don't hurt themselves.

Main point: You have kids of that age. Some or most of the nay-sayers
don't. AND you have first hand experience in what happens to kids that
are caught with drugs. I trust your perceptions and intuition.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

[email protected] August 31st 05 04:45 AM

They live right across the canal and I get the impression that its
like when I was a kid sneaking into the neighbors tool shed to smoke
cigs, stupid but I didnt turn out to be a criminal whereas if I had
been imprisoned for it I may have turned out bad.

I understand where you are coming from.

But if you can tell that someone has been smoking pot in your boat you
can be dang sure that the marine police and coasties can tell, too. But
you will be the one losing a boat. Even if the Fed's don't take it,
Florida confiscates automobiles every day that are found to have even a
small amount of illegal drugs in them.

At the very least put a note on your boat where they would see it before
entering, telling them not to use you boat (or anyone elses) anymore.
Also write that you have reported the illegal entry and drug use to the
police.

But there still could be residue in your boat. I know of cases where the
CG wiped parts of cabins with sterile cloth and then sealed them up for
testing.

Then I'd be sure to make a formal report and get some sort of report #
for your own records. If the kids take your warning they'll not be
caught. If they don't then they will, and after ignoring a warning,
should be.

Btw, a couple weeks ago I was visiting a friend. His grown son was there
with one of his buddies. That buddy is in the USCG and works in the DC
office. We got to talking and he said that all the money they were
getting for "homeland security" was going into their drug interdiction
efforts. Yeah, some was into "port security" but for the coasties "port
security" is drug interdiction. After all, traffic is traffic. Smuggling
is smuggling, whether it be pot, cocaine, heroin, people, or explosives.

Vito August 31st 05 05:10 PM

"Peggie Hall" wrote
wrote:

I do not want to get them
in trouble for the pot smoking and do not really want to get them in
trouble for using my boat while doing no damage.

You're kidding! What they're doing is illegal--they're trespassing as
well as using illegal drugs. By not prosecuting, you're condoning
both--and lord knows, in our wacky society today, what you could be
charged with .....

Peg is right. If police found the "butts" they could confiscate your boat.

Peggie Hall August 31st 05 07:57 PM

In his first post he said:

I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina...

So depending on where he is relative to where Katrina struck, his
dilemma--or even the boat--may no longer exist. I just hope HE's all
right and can post again to let us know how he and his boat fared.

--
Peggie
----------

[email protected] September 1st 05 12:41 AM

Thanks Peggy, I am fine and so is my boat. I am about 400 miles east
of New Orleans and all we got was about 3' of storm surge. We got 10'
from Dennis a few weeks ago. I appreciate your concern.

David OHara

Paul Schilter September 1st 05 12:59 AM

ahoy,
My wife is in the apartment management business. While talking to other
apartment management staff at another complex in the area, the husband
of the husband / wife team told her that he had found what appeared to
be crack cocaine in a baggies on the complex grounds. He called the
local police and the responding officer almost arrested him for
possession of the drugs. He said next time he'd just ignore the baggies.
He just didn't want some innocent kid getting a hold of it.
Paul

ahoy wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:58:25 -0500, wrote:

I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina and found
for the second time that kids have been aboard smoking pot.

I would report this to the police and keep a copy of the report on your
boat.

If you are ever stopped for a search by the USCG and they bring a dog
aboard and find pot remnants, YOU will be the one in trouble and in
danger of losing your boat - UNLESS you have reported the illegal entry
to the police and kept your copy to show the coasties.

old jewish proverb;
"never let your name become known to the authorities"
I'd be leery of reporting anything. If they bring their dog with them
to investigate and find any pot residue they'll probably just bust you
instead. It's about boosting the number of provable convictions;
nothing to do with right or wrong.
The cops can't do **** about finding your trespassers and they don't
really care anyway so they'll probably end up investigating you
instead. Sorry you're having trouble.

Peggie Hall September 1st 05 01:06 AM

wrote:

Thanks Peggy, I am fine and so is my boat. I am about 400 miles east
of New Orleans and all we got was about 3' of storm surge. We got 10'
from Dennis a few weeks ago. I appreciate your concern.

That's wonderful! I'm so glad to hear that you and your boat are ok. A
lot of others aren't as fortunate.

--
Peggie
----------

BF September 14th 05 05:23 PM

Are there 12V motion detectors that can be coupled to very bright spot
lights? Set the detector to look at the companion way and the spots to
illuminate the cockpit.
BF

ups.com...

mickey September 14th 05 08:51 PM

Marinas differ. My marina has no security--you'll be hard pressed to
even find anyone employed by the marina around. On the other hand, we
have a camaraderie between boat owners on my pier, a couple of
live-aboards, and several folks who are at the boat quite frequently,
even on "school nights". We keep an eye out for each others boat. If
we lock our boats, we use combination locks so that a fellow slip owner
can check on our boat. Just last week someone called me to inquire if
I had intentionally left my boat unplugged. On the other hand, when I
was on the hard in a different, larger marina, I had security follow me
to my boat every time I drove in to check on things. If I wanted to
drive around the marina to look at the different boats and different
work people were doing, there was security again. They were nice, but
distant, and a constant reminder of--I don't know of what. I was not
doing anything wrong, but I still felt uncomfortable. Even some of the
marina shipswrights expressed some discomfort towards the security--and
they have every right to expect that their shops stay secure!

If you lock your boat more securely, then the problem will likely move
to someone else's boat. Have you considered discussing this with
fellow slip owners, and asking those around your boat to "keep an eye
out"? Some larger marinas in this area have also instituted a "marina
watch" program. Sometimes a big show of a small effort will deter
possible "perps". If it happens regularly, perhaps a little extra
effort and a few extra trips to the boat by a few fellow ship owners,
along with a few signs, may yield results; at least, increased
"legitimate" traffic may deter illegitimate ones.

It's sad that sometimes people take advantage of a less "policed" or
self-policed situation.

Good luck!

mickey

Leanne September 14th 05 11:48 PM

How about liability if they get caught and the law decides to
impound you boat and come after you for knowingly (?) let them
use the boat.

Leanne

ups.com...