BoatBanter.com

-   -   HOW2->seal aluminum mast to prevent capsize water intrusion ? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/46639-how2-%3Eseal-aluminum-mast-prevent-capsize-water-intrusion.html)

Courtney Thomas July 26th 05 12:45 PM

HOW2->seal aluminum mast to prevent capsize water intrusion ?

Has anyone sealed their mast for this purpose and if yes, how ?

Thank you,
Courtney

mickey July 26th 05 07:20 PM

Do you mean through the mast partner, or through other areas on the
mast (top, all the thing sscrewed/rivetted in)?

For the mast partner, there are several options: There's a product
called SparTite which seals (for a while) and also is a replacement for
the wedges. A longer-lasting and easier seal is an old inner tube with
a cloth on top.

As for option 2, I have never heard anyone worrying about water
intrusion during a capsize from the mast, but I -have- read somewhere
(Pardeys' book? Daschew? don't remember) that they recommend filling
up the mast with floatation foam to aid in righting after a capsize.
Apparently water in the mast will (understandably) weigh it down and
may slightly impede the righting of a capsized boat. The problem with
doing this for water intrusion is that you cannot fill up the entire
mast: you have wires running up there, so you will need at least one
(pref. two) conduits so you can run your wiring. I guess in theory you
could cap the conduit(s) and silicone around the wires, but I've never
heard of that.

mickey